Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts
Default AiM Solo II Released

Very cool and I can't wait to see it tomorrow and find out all the details. I'll post more as I know it.

Smarter, smaller and more powerful than ever: the brand new new SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL is the game-changer we were waiting for!

Not just a lap-timer, the SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL is the most precise tracker on the market: receiving data from GPS and Glonass, two satellites constellation, our device provides lap-times with just a max 2/100 of tollerance.

Moreover: because takes care of its drivers and riders, we fit 10 configurable RGB LEDs ready to inform you, sector to sector, if you are improving or not in live time.

Is that enough? Of course not. You should know that the SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL has also a huge internal track database with over 3000 circuits: at the power ON, it automatically select the right one, without any need of your setting. But even if the track you want to get in is not into the database yet, SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL will switch to autolearning mode, understanding the characteristics of the track and giving the lap times anyway.

Tracks, fields, hill-climbs… Wherever you are, whatever you are driving or riding, SOLO 2/SOLO 2 DL is exactly what you need and what you always needed.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Matt is this the long awaited unit that can overlay video onto data?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:07 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

Very cool and I can't wait to see it tomorrow and find out all the details. I'll post more as I know it.

Smarter, smaller and more powerful than ever: the brand new new SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL is the game-changer we were waiting for!

Not just a lap-timer, the SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL is the most precise tracker on the market: receiving data from GPS and Glonass, two satellites constellation, our device provides lap-times with just a max 2/100 of tollerance.

Moreover: because takes care of its drivers and riders, we fit 10 configurable RGB LEDs ready to inform you, sector to sector, if you are improving or not in live time.

Is that enough? Of course not. You should know that the SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL has also a huge internal track database with over 3000 circuits: at the power ON, it automatically select the right one, without any need of your setting. But even if the track you want to get in is not into the database yet, SOLO 2/ SOLO 2 DL will switch to autolearning mode, understanding the characteristics of the track and giving the lap times anyway.

Tracks, fields, hill-climbs… Wherever you are, whatever you are driving or riding, SOLO 2/SOLO 2 DL is exactly what you need and what you always needed.
Very interesting. I assume you'll be at PRI? I'll be there on Saturday.

I wonder what they mean by "2/100 of tolerance?" Hopefully they meant .02 seconds. and not 2% of a full lap - that would be bad.

I'd also want to know the refresh rate on the GPS signals. Most phones operate at 1Hz. I use an external GPS receiver that works at 10Hz and really helps.

Also DL and analysis capabilities will also be key.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

This new release of hardware uses the latest file structure and track management, like the current dashes and loggers.

The new file structure will allow, WHEN the RS3 Analysis software is released, to view automatically synced video in the analysis window from current HD SmartyCams.

The programmable LED’s are what I’m excited about... But current Solo and Solo DL users are still in good shape.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geneman
Matt is this the long awaited unit that can overlay video onto data?
That is software and hardware dependent. The MXL2, MXS, MXG, Solo 2, Solo 2 DL, Evo4s, and Evo5 will all have the necessary file structure and information to do that. The next part is RS3 Analysis which is being worked on (and has been worked on for a while). The answer as to when is not tomorrow, or next month, but "soon."

Originally Posted by AO
Very interesting. I assume you'll be at PRI? I'll be there on Saturday.

I wonder what they mean by "2/100 of tolerance?" Hopefully they meant .02 seconds. and not 2% of a full lap - that would be bad.

I'd also want to know the refresh rate on the GPS signals. Most phones operate at 1Hz. I use an external GPS receiver that works at 10Hz and really helps.

Also DL and analysis capabilities will also be key.
I"m flying to Indy in a few hours and will be at PRI Thursday and Friday. I think the tolerance was a translation mistake. I'm sure it's lap time to .02 seconds. The current AiM GPS units are 10 Hz, so I would not expect this to be any slower. With the Glonass and GPS satellites, they get very good accuracy.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The programmable LED’s are what I’m excited about... But current Solo and Solo DL users are still in good shape.
I'm excited to see the setup and how the lights will be programmable. I'll let you and everyone here know what I find out.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:14 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The LED sector tracker is awesome, I have it on my Mychron 5 for karting and its very helpful and accurate.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impressive!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not holding my breath. I like seeing the new products at PRI, but it then becomes frustrating to get them in the dealer's hands. Waited two years after I saw the MXL 2 at PRI. No shift light module yet.....The New SOLO looks great. It will look better when the dealers receive units!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
I'm not holding my breath. I like seeing the new products at PRI, but it then becomes frustrating to get them in the dealer's hands. Waited two years after I saw the MXL 2 at PRI. No shift light module yet.....The New SOLO looks great. It will look better when the dealers receive units!
Agreed! Fifteen months from PRI showing to dealers receiving stock for the SCHD, as you point out, twenty-three months from MXL2 and MXG shown at PRI to in the dealer’s hands. I’m keeping stock of Solo DL’s and not blowing them out, because it’ll be awhile... already have two dozen messages asking to be put on the list. Sheesh!I know the US importer (AiM Sports) gets frustrated by AiM SPORTLINE (the Italian manufacturer) announcements well before product is available, but it certainly is exciting seeing the new products that are in the pipeline. I know they’ve been working on an updated camera, too. But that won’t be shown this week, IIRC. Cool footage in Indy cars that they’ve already put out...
Old 12-07-2017, 12:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Any word on when the Mxm will show up?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sbelles
Any word on when the Mxm will show up?
My understanding is around the same time as the Solo 2...
Old 12-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Official word is mid January on the Solo 2 and February on the MXm. They are both great units. The MXm is going to fill the needs of a lot of people who want a Solo DL with a couple of analog inputs (no channel expansion allowed).

The MXP is also on display. Great size, powerful digital outs, new icon management. Very cool.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:39 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So did I make a mistake when I bought my solo at the end of the track season?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
So did I make a mistake when I bought my solo at the end of the track season?
Nope. You still have a great device!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:47 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Other than some fancy LEDs, what's it really do over and above the existing products - provided one isn't using SmartyCam?

Not sure I'd want it much smaller... with fat fingers stuffed in nomex gloves, I wouldn't want things smaller while being strapped in....

Quick Reply: AiM Solo II Released