Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timeline for returning to racing after spinal fusion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

[QUOTE=Paul Solk;15065179]Thanks everyone!!!

As for the listen to Dr.'s advice I think there is a happy medium. Had my surgeon told me there was instability in my spine and I risked further injury I would have listened and continued within the extent of my own limitations. Where some surgeon's/Dr's get in wrong in my opinion and this is certainly no fault of the Dr is either leaning to far to the side of caution (understandably) or not treating each patient like an individual. Just because you have done 1,000 of these procedures doesn't mean MY recovery is going to be like the other 999. When a surgeon makes blanket statements in either direction it gives me reason for pause. I have heard spinal surgeons tell patients they would NEVER get back to what I am doing now and I have also cringed when I have heard spinal surgeons tell people "it will be like a light switch and you will feel better" Really? So for me it was a happy balance of explaining my goals very clearly but also open communication and a lot of effort on my part along with a willingness to listen when my surgeon really defined limits. We had a mutual understanding I got leeway to a point and when he said this is the line I listened... Now he has said it is all about me and pain management and handed total control over to me.

It was actually amazing today. In an effort to better understand what is going on and why I was in pain under certain movements (that I thought my core should be handling) my therapist actually put a blood pressure cuff under my spine while I exercised. Amazingly at points where I thought I was ONLY engaging my core we were actually see the pressure change in the cuff so inadvertently I am engaging the WRONG set of core muscles. So just to add one more element to the mix I now have to do my core exercises on a blood pressure cuff and ensure the pressure needle doesn't move. This way we know it is core only and not the spine getting pulled/moved and subsequently aggravating the nerves. That and we reduced my MTBS (Mean time between stretching) and nerve glides to once an hour from every 2 1/2 hours. Pretty darn cool stuff but to the point above, it's not just my surgeon but my therapist who has been so strategic to my return... Like my surgeon, she really takes the time to understand what we are putting our bodies through in the car and working to counter those forces with proper muscle development. It's actually amazing how much control we have over our own bodies at the end of the day.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to meet you Paul. It sounds like your back has give you quite a roller coaster ride!

I too have some challenges with my back that have placed some limitations on how I approach racing events. One of the best decisions that I made was employing a race garage to prep the car for me. I still have to change tires if it rains, but other than that my race car is plug and play. The next was to buy a big comfortable truck for a tow rig... the kind with comfortable heated leather seats and a lumbar support. On long hauls I find myself shuffeling the seat adjustment around to keep my back reasonably comfortable. Believe me, the heated seat is better than Tramodol. Which is another point to consider; the opiods aren't compatible with driving a race car fast. The best you can sometimes do is realize that you're going to be sore and then limit your participation to include only the highlights.

My lower back disc has me limiting the duration that I spend on the track. I'll often skip the practice laps. In qualifying I'll only take 4-5 laps and then pull in early. No more getting to grid at the 20 mark. Rather I get suited up and ready, then roll in at the 5. No more double or triple race weekends!

Just last year I discovered that I was having trouble exiting my car when wearing my neck restraint. It was a problem with overall flexibility ... I just wasn't flexible enough to climb over the cage quickly enough to exit the vehicle in an emergency (I was considerably more than 30 seconds). At that point I dropped going to SCCA events (which required neck restraints).

Folks have already talked about a supportive seat, which is key to keeping your back from flaring, but also be sure you have appropriate support and padding for your elbows and knees, as I find myself bracing more with my upper/lower extremities when my back is flared.

With a 3 level fusion you are going to have to really take care of the other 2 lumbar vertebrae... they've got to last you the rest of your life. Don't wear them out!

You'll find enough tricks to keep you participating and enjoying both life and motorsports. One of the best tips I got was to keep my hips as flexible as possible so you can bend more at the hips instead of at the low back...and wear slip on shoes so you don't have to bend to tie. Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:09 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul,

Reading your approach has been really informative for my post op direction. I had my operation on the 14th (full fusion L3/4 with decompression) . Went well and a day after (night of observation) I walked out of the hospital to then take a 2 hour train ride home. Can't take opiods (bad reaction to them ) so using Tylenol . The hardest part was the Dr. telling me to take 2 weeks off with no exercise or lifting objects more than a carton of milk. It did not settle in until he finally said "take your hardest workout, bike ride climb etc and now replace this with allowing your body to heal as your challenge. "do nothing!" (thank God for 24hr Leman LOL!) I don't have a reference and I am a week in now and tempted to do a bit more. When did you start any small core leg lifts etc. Did your PT give you any added daily routines?

Quick Reply: Timeline for returning to racing after spinal fusion?