Sponsored by:

Recaro Seat SRS Code/Buckle Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recaro Seat SRS Code/Buckle Question

Hi All - Posted this in the 997 forum but didn't get much traction; this seems to be the appropriate place to ask anyway.

Couple of questions; I've recently purchased a Recaro SPG Profi XL from a member here. It's great, I love it. Now the plan is it goes in the night before DE's and Autocross and comes back out the following day; a (4) bolt plug'n'play setup is what I'm looking for. I know I'll trip the SRS light once I unplug the seat sensor plug and would like to clear it so the car is 'clean' when on track without warnings but would also like to keep the rest of the airbags operational. I'm aware of two methods; the resistor trick and the Durametric clear-code way. It seems inevitable that I buy a Durametric Enthusiast to clear the service reminder message so I suspect I'll be going that route either way.

My question; does clearing the SRS error code with the Durametric after changing to the Recaro seat still keep the remaining airbags active? I want to drive the car to the track and back with a standard 3 point with the Recaro in place and I think it would be good to have those systems still in play. Otherwise I assume putting the resistor in place would keep 'trick' the computer into believing there is no change and subsequently everything stays active, right?

The other question; can I attach a factory (997, GT3 or GT2) seat belt buckle receiver to the side of the Recaro seat bracket? I assume so but on the Suncoast website the buckles are listed as: "Not compatible with fixed shell race seats or carbon fiber sport bucket seats" for a standard 997 and "Not compatible with standard seats, not compatible with aftermarket race seats" for the GT2 and GT3 extended cable length buckles. Any clarification/direction on this would be appreciated.

And the last question; this is my first racing bucket and if I were to run a 6 point Schroth harness (Clubman 2x2) with the Brey Krause harness bar; I would wrap the shoulder straps around the bar, wrap the sub straps around the sub-belt bar underneath the seat, then attach the right side harness lap belt mount to the same mounting hole as the 3-point belt receiver on the Recaro mount and the left side (i.e. door side) harness lap belt mount to the bottom of the 3-pt belt via the factory fastening screw? I don't want to assume and no dumb questions right but I'd like to have all the hardware ready before bringing it to a race shop for final measurements/placement/seal of approval. Are there any preferred mounting kits; I see different types/sizes on the Brey-Krause and Rennline websites. I assume I would need (1) outside (i.e. door side) lap belt mount (Rennline #SA03 or BK #R9003) and (1) inside lap belt mount either long or short (BK# R9001 or R9004 & Rennline SA01 or SA02)? The distance from the mount hole to the right side lap belt opening is short, so I assume the short tunnel side mount is correct. This then assumes that any harness belt I purchase needs to have the quick snack on

Let's shorten this:

1) When a durametric enthusiast unit clears the airbag codes for an aftermarket seat; do the other airbags still stay active?
2) Does the 997, GT3 or GT2 seat belt buckle receiver work with the Recaro SPG Profi XL in a 997 for use of the standard 3 pt?
3) Is the short tunnel side mount the right mount to use for a Recaro SPG Profi XL with a Schroth Clubman 2x2?

Any/all input is appreciated.

Thanks all,
Colin
Old 06-20-2018, 02:57 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Appraiser
Hi All - Posted this in the 997 forum but didn't get much traction; this seems to be the appropriate place to ask anyway.

Couple of questions; I've recently purchased a Recaro SPG Profi XL from a member here. It's great, I love it. Now the plan is it goes in the night before DE's and Autocross and comes back out the following day; a (4) bolt plug'n'play setup is what I'm looking for. I know I'll trip the SRS light once I unplug the seat sensor plug and would like to clear it so the car is 'clean' when on track without warnings but would also like to keep the rest of the airbags operational. I'm aware of two methods; the resistor trick and the Durametric clear-code way. It seems inevitable that I buy a Durametric Enthusiast to clear the service reminder message so I suspect I'll be going that route either way.

My question; does clearing the SRS error code with the Durametric after changing to the Recaro seat still keep the remaining airbags active? I want to drive the car to the track and back with a standard 3 point with the Recaro in place and I think it would be good to have those systems still in play. Otherwise I assume putting the resistor in place would keep 'trick' the computer into believing there is no change and subsequently everything stays active, right?

The other question; can I attach a factory (997, GT3 or GT2) seat belt buckle receiver to the side of the Recaro seat bracket? I assume so but on the Suncoast website the buckles are listed as: "Not compatible with fixed shell race seats or carbon fiber sport bucket seats" for a standard 997 and "Not compatible with standard seats, not compatible with aftermarket race seats" for the GT2 and GT3 extended cable length buckles. Any clarification/direction on this would be appreciated.

And the last question; this is my first racing bucket and if I were to run a 6 point Schroth harness (Clubman 2x2) with the Brey Krause harness bar; I would wrap the shoulder straps around the bar, wrap the sub straps around the sub-belt bar underneath the seat, then attach the right side harness lap belt mount to the same mounting hole as the 3-point belt receiver on the Recaro mount and the left side (i.e. door side) harness lap belt mount to the bottom of the 3-pt belt via the factory fastening screw? I don't want to assume and no dumb questions right but I'd like to have all the hardware ready before bringing it to a race shop for final measurements/placement/seal of approval. Are there any preferred mounting kits; I see different types/sizes on the Brey-Krause and Rennline websites. I assume I would need (1) outside (i.e. door side) lap belt mount (Rennline #SA03 or BK #R9003) and (1) inside lap belt mount either long or short (BK# R9001 or R9004 & Rennline SA01 or SA02)? The distance from the mount hole to the right side lap belt opening is short, so I assume the short tunnel side mount is correct. This then assumes that any harness belt I purchase needs to have the quick snack on

Let's shorten this:

1) When a durametric enthusiast unit clears the airbag codes for an aftermarket seat; do the other airbags still stay active?
2) Does the 997, GT3 or GT2 seat belt buckle receiver work with the Recaro SPG Profi XL in a 997 for use of the standard 3 pt?
3) Is the short tunnel side mount the right mount to use for a Recaro SPG Profi XL with a Schroth Clubman 2x2?

Any/all input is appreciated.

Thanks all,
Colin
1) Yes, you only lose the thorax airbag, the steering wheel and dash one should still work to my understanding
2) Yes the standard one works or you can get the extended GT2 one but not necessary
3) No idea I don't use that mount or belt setup. I use eye bolts and my lap belts clip into those to secure them to the car. I have both factory 3 point and 6 points in my car all the time. Changing seats back and forth is a pain in the ***, I would just leave the race seats in.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 AM
MFGJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Appraiser
My understanding is that Durametric Pro is required for coding, but that's not from personal experience. I had the dealer code-out the thorax bags on mine; I don't swap the seats in and out.

Watch the inboard lap belt mount for the racing harness. If you're planning to use pull-up belts, the adjuster may conflict with the seat. Similarly, with a pull-down set-up, there's not much room between the anchor point and where the belt passes through the seat, if you're trying to fit something like the Rennline mount, a clip in end, and a 3 bar adjuster to secure that end. I ended up going pull-down with a bolt-in end. Alternatively, a pull-down harness with a sewn clip-in end might work...if you can find one in the right dimensions otherwise. (I'd like to find a reliable/experienced/qualified shop that can sew harnesses, if anyone knows of one.)

If you're tall, using the factory outboard belt anchor at the B pillar may work. For me (not tall), it's too rearward and the lap belt geometry is bad. I'm currently working on a solution to mimic the factory GT2 seats, where the outboard lap belt anchors to the seat sidemount. (i.e., same as the inboard side.)

Excellent resource for proper harness installation: https://www.schrothracing.com/instructions

This project is fiddly.

Quick Reply: Recaro Seat SRS Code/Buckle Question