Sponsored by:

PFC 08 No Bedding Process - really?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PFC 08 No Bedding Process - really?

I swap brake pads to street versions when not at the track and have used Pagid yellow 29s. The bedding in process for Pagid is a pain and if I don’t get it right I end up with a crappy pad transfer weekend.

So, please share your experiences with the ‘no bedding required’ PFC pads. Are they really no bedding needed?

thanks,
-Skip
Old 11-11-2017, 04:43 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 100 Posts

It's not ideal, but I've done it several times. I sometimes get some pulsation first session, but it usually cleans up quickly, and they are fine after that.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Never had an issue with any PFC pad. Toss them on, get some heat in them, and go.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Gary is correct. You do not need to bed PFCs. We have raced 18 events this season - over 11000 miles thus far - and use only PFCs. Have never bed the pads. They work great - all the way down to the backing plate.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:32 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts

You don't have to bed them in...but you don't necessarily want to swap back and forth with a different manufacturer's pad from street to track with out cleaning the pad transfer off the rotors. That transfer layer may not agree with one or both pads.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:20 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

ive had great luck with all the pads using the same bedding procedure. they all need to be bedded.... just some are easier than others, in fact, most of the high duty use beds them naturally . you can PM me to get the process i use to make sure they dont squeal even on the street. PFC08 and more aggressive PFC11s are fantastic.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
you can PM me to get the process i use to make sure they dont squeal even on the street.
Are you sure your PM box can handle the load?

Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have always run Pagid 29's on my car. I never swapped when I was still driving car to and from track. Never had an issue with squealing or braking during normal driving. Never had to break in new pads either. Why not just DD the pagids?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,326 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
You don't have to bed them in...but you don't necessarily want to swap back and forth with a different manufacturer's pad from street to track with out cleaning the pad transfer off the rotors. That transfer layer may not agree with one or both pads.
^^This^^ has been my experience. Love PFC’s!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 PM
CMS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Per PFC re: bedding

See directions from PFC. Let us know if we can help with your next sets of PFC, Pagid, or Race Technologies pads or Brembo or GiroDisc rotors. Huge inventories in stock for same day shipping.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Switched 2 events ago from Pagid 29's to PFC 08's on well used rotors. Just threw them in and went out and raced. They were pretty awesome as are all new pads when you're running worn pads but now after 2 race weekends they're still pretty awesome though they squeal sometimes. I did however get out braked into the T1 corner by a Cayman MR last weekend at Chuckwalla. Now that pissed me off...
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Switched 2 events ago from Pagid 29's to PFC 08's on well used rotors. Just threw them in and went out and raced. They were pretty awesome as are all new pads when you're running worn pads but now after 2 race weekends they're still pretty awesome though they squeal sometimes. I did however get out braked into the T1 corner by a Cayman MR last weekend at Chuckwalla. Now that pissed me off...
in our formerly Spec Boxsters - now with 3.2L and some other goodies - we can run a set of PFC08s for about 26 hours before they’re toast. Great pads.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
in our formerly Spec Boxsters - now with 3.2L and some other goodies - we can run a set of PFC08s for about 26 hours before they’re toast. Great pads.
With PFC 08 the pads last forever but your rotors don't. PFC 08 is maybe the hardest on the rotors of all compounds I sell. Try PFC 11 compound. The pad goes away faster but it gives additional life to your rotors. PFC 11 compound is what is being delivered from the factory on both the 991 Cup car and the GT4 Clubsport.
Simply put PFC "bedding" consists of wearing off the existing transfer layer
on the rotor and getting the new transfer layer down. Because PFC heat treats all pads you don't have to go thru the "get heat into the pad BS" that Pagid and Ferodo require.
https://apexperformance.net/pfc-pors...ference-chart/

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 11-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
With PFC 08 the pads last forever but your rotors don't. PFC 08 is maybe the hardest on the rotors of all compounds I sell. Try PFC 11 compound. The pad goes away faster but it gives additional life to your rotors. PFC 11 compound is what is being delivered from the factory on both the 991 Cup car and the GT4 Clubsport.
Simply put PFC "bedding" consists of wearing off the existing transfer layer
on the rotor and getting the new transfer layer down. Because PFC heat treats all pads you don't have to go thru the "get heat into the pad BS" that Pagid and Ferodo require.
https://apexperformance.net/pfc-pors...ference-chart/
With our weight and speed I've found the 08 to be perfect. We run slotted Sebro rotors (cheap and durable), and they last a pretty long time as well. We are burning pads 2x faster than rotors this season.

Unrelated, my Mom lives in Tidewater - need to stop by and visit you guys on my next visit.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
With our weight and speed I've found the 08 to be perfect. We run slotted Sebro rotors (cheap and durable), and they last a pretty long time as well. We are burning pads 2x faster than rotors this season.

Unrelated, my Mom lives in Tidewater - need to stop by and visit you guys on my next visit.
Rotors for some cars are cheap...the top running spec boxters are running PFC 08 up front. The enduro guys still love the 08 cause it lasts the longest.
Tidewater as in Virginia?

Quick Reply: PFC 08 No Bedding Process - really?