How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Update to this thread. I went up to AMP today with Tom Drewer North American Manager for Radical (great guy btw) for further SR1 fitting and ended up sitting in another members SR3. Standard SR3 seating (no cushions) was almost perfect. After lengthy discussions I pulled the trigger for a new 1340 cc SR3. Decided on center seat option for additional safety. Really excited about this 90 degree turn to my driving life. Car should be 5 to 7 weeks out. Thanks again too all who gave such great advice!
Tom Drewer is a gem. And an awesome driver.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 240 Posts

Congrats on the Radical! Love being open cockpit.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:51 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Congrats on your new Radical! Enjoy it safely and in good health.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought i would post some pics of the finished car. Shipping soon i hope!

The following users liked this post:
diss7 (10-19-2019)
Old 12-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 240 Posts

Your car looks awesome! ENJOY IT!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks Great! Enjoy the journey!

charley
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Is there any kind of add on windscreen for radicals that deflect some stuff?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Is there any kind of add on windscreen for radicals that deflect some stuff?
There is a small strip that sticks into the air stream by about 1 inch which is very helpful in deflecting the air over your helmet...but it doesn’t do to much to deflect the stones, rubber, etc.. You sit so low in the car that the things flying only hit your helmet. I put clear bra on the front half of my helmet and use tear-offs to protect the shield.

Charley
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car looks great Hugh. I recognize that factory setting
The company (The Sign Team) who do the vinyl work in Peterborough are really good and delivery a high quality wrap.

Enjoy the car when your able to get it on track and I hope to see you next year at a track somewhere. Winterfest is the first event on the schedule later in January if your interested, and the full Radical Cup program follows where the series is a support event for Pirelli World Challenge (for the first three rounds that have been announced at COTA, VIR and Mosport/CTMP).

https://www.radicalsportscars.com/ne...s-announcement
Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 PM
hughp3
Pro

thanks richard, i can't do a race in January. too soon for me. so likely pboc or radical series in the spring. taking LevelUp school in few weeks. need to dust off my heel/toe I have to get faster because you guys are hauling the mail.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:14 AM
hughp3
Pro

Originally Posted by CharleyH

There is a small strip that sticks into the air stream by about 1 inch which is very helpful in deflecting the air over your helmet...but it doesn’t do to much to deflect the stones, rubber, etc.. You sit so low in the car that the things flying only hit your helmet. I put clear bra on the front half of my helmet and use tear-offs to protect the shield.

Charleyt
yeah charley i am suppose to have that 1" riser. i have the helmet air foils and tear offs. will be making a seat , one of the BSCI seat kits. also getting arm restraints. Futura trailer already at the shop. 15 gallon Flo Fast fuel tote, portable air compressor, 1200flbs 3/4 cordless impact wrench etc... Yep trying to get ready!
Old 12-08-2017, 03:23 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

yeah charley i am suppose to have that 1" riser. i have the helmet air foils and tear offs. will be making a seat , one of the BSCI seat kits. also getting arm restraints. Futura trailer already at the shop. 15 gallon Flo Fast fuel tote, portable air compressor, 1200flbs 3/4 cordless impact wrench etc... Yep trying to get ready!
Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. The Flo fast system is great. I went with two 7.5 gallon tanks because they are easier to deal with from a weight perspective. If you like the helmet that you have you may want to consider putting clear bra on the front....it is amazing how chipped up it gets without the clear bra. Did you get a 3/4” torque wrench yet? You need one that has 240 ft/lbs in the middle of the range. I went with a Proto 6020AB but I understand that SnapOn makes a nice one also, just make sure it torques in both directions. Did you order air jacks on your car?

By the way you won’t have to “dust off your heal / toe skills”.... Not needed with the paddle shift system. The Paddle shift system is a dream on the track

Charley
Old 12-08-2017, 11:39 AM
hughp3
Pro

Originally Posted by CharleyH

Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. The Flo fast system is great. I went with two 7.5 gallon tanks because they are easier to deal with from a weight perspective. If you like the helmet that you have you may want to consider putting clear bra on the front....it is amazing how chipped up it gets without the clear bra. Did you get a 3/4” torque wrench yet? You need one that has 240 ft/lbs in the middle of the range. I went with a Proto 6020AB but I understand that SnapOn makes a nice one also, just make sure it torques in both directions. Did you order air jacks on your car?

By the way you won’t have to “dust off your heal / toe skills”.... Not needed with the paddle shift system. The Paddle shift system is a dream on the track

Charley
Hey Charley - was going to get the Milwaukee Fuel 3/4 drive. Its a beast 750flbs, 1200flbs on removal. Did not order air jacks but getting the low manual jack from Radical. On heel and Toe I am taking the LevelUP Racing school in a few weeks but they use Spec Miatas hence the heel/toe! Winter has hit here finally as its snowing, hope the schools has decent weather in a few weeks.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:54 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Hey Charley - was going to get the Milwaukee Fuel 3/4 drive. Its a beast 750flbs, 1200flbs on removal. Did not order air jacks but getting the low manual jack from Radical. On heel and Toe I am taking the LevelUP Racing school in a few weeks but they use Spec Miatas hence the heel/toe! Winter has hit here finally as its snowing, hope the schools has decent weather in a few weeks.
i would think that the Milwaukee will do a great job taking the wheel nuts off, but you will need a torque wrench to put them back on. A typical 1/2 in torque wrench won’t do the job.

Oh, now I understand the “heal toe comment”...

Enjoy

Old 12-08-2017, 07:52 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great choice. I have gone from spec boxster to Radical sr3 rs and couldn't be happier!

Quick Reply: How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE