Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill Sept 16-17th

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017 | 12:11 AM
rezanourai
Advanced

Default Thunderhill Sept 16-17th

Hit a new personal best at Thunderhill 3-mile this weekend. Had a few laps in the 2:09-2:11 range, with my best being 2:09.608 according to TrackAddict app.

Car is a 2012 Carrera S (991) with sport cup 2s and pagid RS29s at all 4 corners. When I swapped to the cup 2s, I also widened the rear to 305s (vs 295)

Here's one of them:

Would love some pointers (yes, I know asking on a forum means I'll get heckled. Lay it on, I won't be offended! ).

Two things I already know I did wrong:
- A bit wide on a few apexes
- pinched a bit on a few corner exits instead of letting the car track all the way out.

There's another video my friend took when he was following me so you can see most of my line from behind. I'll try and get a copy and share

Also, for laughs, here's what I learned happens when you turn in too early for turn 1 and early apex:
Old 09-20-2017 | 06:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

You're coasting quite abit before the braking zones and your late on the throttle at exit ie should be progressive linear throttle to wot vs you start stabbing throttle once you see car is straight. Mike
Old 09-20-2017 | 08:53 PM
rezanourai
Advanced

Yeah, watching the video again I can hear how much I'm coasting. I'll focus on that and getting on the gas sooner next time.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2017 | 10:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Is your ride pdk or mt? With less coasting you probably shave off 2-3 seconds. You're next time hope to see 2:05-2:06 ��. How many trackdays you've done with 991 carrera s? Mike
Old 09-20-2017 | 10:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I'm in the middle pack of the faster guys at TH, I need a lot more seat time there, I build up slow at tracks... when nearly stock gt4 are sub 2 mins...!!!!! Best I had this weekend was a 203. So much more there.

a few things: more gas, less brake. You can carry more speed in nearly every corner. Your line looks good overall. Its just more confidence, to gas earlier, less brake. Oh, 14-15 you sort of miffed that one, late apex to the inside curbing then a constant radius flat on the gas to the front straight. Also, back section, from 6-10 - get out of 6 with a later apex and get flat to gas, stay on it, no lift at 7, quick stab of the brakes at 8 and later apex track really wide there is a ton of runout (your car should be 90mph+ at apex there at 8 and over 100 exiting), up the hill and trail brake into 9 then flat all the way to 10. 10 has a TON of grip, for me braking at the pole on the right is too early but I'm a ***** and do it anyway, but most over-brake at 10...
Old 09-21-2017 | 03:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Nice lap. go harder and brake later to turn 2. later apex to turn 3 staying on the throttle longer and braking later. 3 to 7 very good by the way. (especially 5 "eagle's nest).
8 you need to go faster through with more steering input at the start so you have less at the exit. its a timing thing. 9 excellent. 10 -11 also very good. but exit of 11 too slow and not enough throttle, wrong gear in the auto really slows you down. 12 entrance too slow. brake later and trail brake into it and get hard on the gas earlier for the mini straight there and on the exit to the main straight. there is about 2 seconds to be found in what i see at a glance.
Old 09-24-2017 | 02:48 AM
rezanourai
Advanced

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! Now I just need to save my pennies to get back out there again
Old 09-24-2017 | 03:21 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Good driving. Nothing specific to add on your laps.

I would recommend you move up to C when running with HOD next time. Your lap times are more than fast enough to hang with the more experienced drivers. You'll get to surround yourself with better drivers and avoid some of the unavoidable unpredictability of the B group.
Old 09-25-2017 | 02:52 AM
rezanourai
Advanced

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Is your ride pdk or mt? With less coasting you probably shave off 2-3 seconds. You're next time hope to see 2:05-2:06 ��. How many trackdays you've done with 991 carrera s? Mike
pdk. I've done around 10 or so track days in the car I think, give or take. And a couple in other cars
Old 09-26-2017 | 07:30 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Learn to get comfortable with the limits of the car, develop your confidence and then you can apply them everywhere.

I'd pick something like Turn 14 to learn braking limits. Keep pushing the brake marker deeper and deeper until you run out of room. If you miss the corner, you can just go straight and turn around.

Turn 2 is great to practice throttle control to change the attitude of the car.

Turn 2 is good to drive the car into a bit hot by coming off the brakes earlier and seeing how the car responds.

The transition between 3 and 4 is really good to learn how aggressively can you turn a car in while keeping it stable.

Turn off assists even it means going slower. Lap times are a product of confidence.
Old 09-26-2017 | 12:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I pick t1 for braking limits ie plenty of run off and even if you miss the apex and run off the track at exit plenty of runoff there and no walls to hit(ask y I know ��). T14 there's those mobile stationary wall to prevent you from running into other side of track t7-t8(use to be not there longtime ago- guess why it's there now if your brakes fail or some mechanical?). You can nail the inside too. T2 is awesome for both throttle steering or use steer adjustments(try both ��). Best spots for brake trailering is t10/11/14. As someone mentioned stay far left and late apex t3- gives you straight shot thru exit 3 to 5 at higher speed. U did well at cyclone entry. You can early apex t9 for more speed but that takes *****(not me). Mike
Old 09-26-2017 | 01:23 PM
rezanourai
Advanced

RE: brake limits

This past event was the first time I've had Pagid RS29s in all 4 corners (I used to only have them up front) and Cup 2 tires. I noticed that I was getting major tire squeal on braking w/o kicking in the ABS. A friend riding along with me mentioned that means I'm getting the max brake performance, but I've had others tell me if the ABS isn't kicking in, I'm not braking hard enough.

Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2017 | 01:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Try to get the abs to trigger then go down from there. If you don't know where the abs engages - how would you know max brake limit ? Tires/brake pads brand new and were they properly bedded/hc's? You sure the tires are squealing vs the brake pads? Mike
Old 09-26-2017 | 01:49 PM
rezanourai
Advanced

Prior to this round of pads/tires, I could reliably trigger ABS when braking. These brakes squeal like hell, but pretty sure I'm hearing tire squeal as well as it's a different sound (and can feel the car slide just a tiny bit). Is it possible the new brakes/tires are messing with the ABS sensors so they are locking without triggering? (I don't know much about how ABS sensors work, so maybe a dumb question )

I'll do some more experimentation next time I'm out on the track. Maybe have someone watch and see if the wheels are actually locking or just squealing. Probably not locking
Old 09-26-2017 | 01:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Good place to trigger abs is t10. Make sure no car around you front/back but visualizing a divebomb scenario. You go deeper into the brake zone. T14 is a good place too but easier turn in at t10 since we have left side steering wheel. Mike

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Sept 16-17th