Sponsored by:

XPost: Mounting 3 Piece wheels without drop center

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 308 Likes on 149 Posts
Default XPost: Mounting 3 Piece wheels without drop center

I recently converted a set of BBS Motorsport wheels from 17" to 15" - but to do so, it meant that the 15" rims would be completely flat on the inside (no drop center). This requires that the wheels be assembled around the tire. That sounded easy - if time consuming - enough. But I'm having a hard time get the tire to seat on the rim half. Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you have it assembled you can try to pry the tire down and apply some lube then air it up till it pops.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

lots of tire-lub and run the hose direct from your compressor at full boost.

If you have bead blaster then that will also help but I have got to ask you how did you seal the wheel? I mean if you put the tire on how did you get the silicon seal between the two halves?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBS Typically has a seat that gets sandwiched between the two halves if I remember correctly.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 308 Likes on 149 Posts

Yes, the wheel has a metal gasket with a large O ring around the perimeter. I applied a little silicone to the affix the gasket to one rim halve to make assembly a little easier.

I guess I just need to try to bolt them together without the beads seated - its tough, though. The side walls are super stiff and the distance is pretty big between the halves. But I was thinking trying a much longer bolt to start to bring the halves together, then finish assembly with the BBS fasteners once they're tight. I was originally thinking it might be easier to seat the bead on each halve first so the distance between the halves was smaller, then bolt them together with the center ...

Quick Reply: XPost: Mounting 3 Piece wheels without drop center