Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Thanks
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Sometimes PBs come in the most unusual places

Went back through my data and found I beat my last personal best by a smidge. Since I put new tires on Saturday afternoon I figured that was when it happened. Nope, it happened two sessions before where:
  • I had a passenger so I was more careful and relaxed.
    • He was my student and I was demonstrating trail braking.
  • True to form, the left front NT-01 corded right after this session and the rest of the set was in near same condition (ready to cord)
  • Yellow (intermediate) run group.
  • Traffic
  • The video looks kind of boring.
  • I had a new brake setup I was not fully confident in
    • You can see this by the lack of -1G in the braking zone for T12.
Moved the mic to the rear license plate location, I like how the car sounds. Here is the vid, a 2:44.938, not Earth shattering, but I'll take it along with the great weather and weekend:

-Mike

ETA: Dave did I finally use enough curbing?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:49 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Went back through my data and found I beat my last personal best by a smidge. Since I put new tires on Saturday afternoon I figured that was when it happened. Nope, it happened two sessions before where:
  • True to form, the left front NT-01 corded right after this session and the rest of the set was in near same condition (ready to cord)
  • Traffic
Moved the mic to the rear license plate location, I like how the car sounds. Here is the vid, a 2:44.938, not Earth shattering, but I'll take it along with the great weather and weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3nGAw1KFQ

-Mike

Mike - you really need to fix your hands. Keep them locked at 3 and 9 and stay there. You can make every turn at COTA without shuffling your hands.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 AM
dunlopnick
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yellow run group - allowing the faster drivers to go out first on Sunday minimized the train experiences of Friday / Saturday. Couple of folks were consistently slow in giving pass-by signals. That said had some really good clear laps which resulted in dropping my best time from 2.32.4 to 2.29.84 - with MSC2 and pagid yellows. Plus a GT3 �� and some better eye control ...

Last edited by dunlopnick; 11-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Mike - you really need to fix your hands. Keep them locked at 3 and 9 and stay there. You can make every turn at COTA without shuffling your hands.
Agree with this.

Yes, plenty of curbing! Well done! But wind the car to closer to 7000 on the straights, you're giving up some power.

I don't know what brake pads you're now using, but with my set up I could brake at around the 100 marker in 12.

Also, no need to swing the ca left setting up for 8. Just go straight up the hill from 7 track out
Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agree with this.

Yes, plenty of curbing! Well done! But wind the car to closer to 7000 on the straights, you're giving up some power.

I don't know what brake pads you're now using, but with my set up I could brake at around the 100 marker in 12.

Also, no need to swing the ca left setting up for 8. Just go straight up the hill from 7 track out
On those hairpins I'm going to have to reduce the beer storage capacity to comply with that hands request. At least I'm only groping the steering wheel, but I suppose that makes me a poor feminist by the standards coming out today.

Brand new PFC08 up front and Ferodo DS2500 in the rear. The setup was feeling good. With PFC08s all around I was also in between the 100 and the next marker back. Didn't want to attempt that until I understood the DS2500s gripped enough. Was going to do that Sunday but we all know how that turned out.

I noticed that the line for the exit curbing of 8 leading into 9 was tricky. Get it right and an a very nice straight shot opens into 9 with power coming on well before the apex. Thread that needle wrong and the car gets upset by the curbs. Sighting the end of the rough curbing on the right just above that "road" seemed to work making the right side tires cut across the curbing in the minimum time.

The best thing is I know I can do better next time.

-Mike
Old 11-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Just look for where all the rubber smudge is entering 8 and along the apex. It's there for a reason.

Not DS2500 fan...
Old 11-21-2017, 10:23 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great event. Have to say it seemed like one of the more friendly atmosphere events I've been to at Cota.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:30 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I too want to thank everyone that had a hand in putting the event on, great job all around. I enjoyed meeting quite a few of you all and the new friendships, look forward to more events!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dunlopnick
Yellow run group - allowing the faster drivers to go out first on Sunday minimized the train experiences of Friday / Saturday. Couple of folks were consistently slow in giving pass-by signals. That said had some really good clear laps which resulted in dropping my best time from 2.32.4 to 2.29.35 - with MSC2 and pagid yellows. Plus a GT3 �� and some better eye control ...

Nick- your car was beautiful and it was wonderful talking with you. Glad you got your goal of sub 2:30. Well done sir!

Debo sends.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:25 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh, do any of you all recall who was doing photos for the event?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:23 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
http://michael-stahlschmidt.squaresp...szkcdtqfzcim75
Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
sidelinesportsphotography.com

you can still order. just go to their website. you just cannot see them online anywhere. Michael's crew and equipment are top notch. order blindly, and I promise you will be happy with the product.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXE36
  • Traffic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3nGAw1KFQ

-Mike

yup - that's the miata line thru 8. if you want to keep the beer storage, at least tell the student "do as I say, not as I do"
Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
Who else doesn't like Mclaren very much right now! What a deal last night.
It didn't really affect us where we were paddocked, and you were only a few spots down from us. Might have affected some garage people but no issues for paddock people.

Quick Reply: COTA 3 Day Event Nov 17-19