Sponsored by:

Let's go racing - Guide for newcomers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:37 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

My advice on the 1st couple races, "go to learn not to win."

In HPDE the line is your line if you are in front. In racing that line is going to get stolen and too many HPDE guys think they can late apex and not defend and just chop to the apex leaving a giant hole with another car coming. Paint is traded and no one is happy. Make your 1st races fun ones!

It is extremely unlikely that your 1st race is going to impress anyone. People will however be impressed if you make good race decisions and can be trusted on track. I think it is smart to qualify at 8/10ths. This way you know you will be faster than a couple cars grided ahead and you can use virgin racecraft ,or lack there of, to figure out how to pass them. Being intrinsically faster will give you an edge and make your pass easier because those 1st passes are unlikely to be things of beauty.

Nothing kills the buzz of getting into racing than crashing your 1st few times out and now you are "that guy." Don't end your career before it begins. Save the "red mist" and take a deep breath and have fun.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:36 PM
mrRed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad this thread is around. It's something that's been on my mind since starting this whole DE thing as W2W has always been an end goal. If all goes well, I'd like to shoot for my first event of some sort in the 2019 season.

Originally Posted by Streak
Excellent point Joe. This works in the DE setting as well. If you let your CI and your instructors know your goal is to club race they will approach your weekend a bit differently. They can pair you up with a club racer, similar car etc. I know I'm more aggressive in the right seat if a student has indicated their desire to race.

And don't stop getting people into your right seat just because you moved up and out of the instructed groups.
I never really considered this but sounds like a great idea, thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone confirm that a driver can obtain a PCA racing license but then rent a drive? For example, someone wants to go racing in Spec Boxster but doesn't have a car. If the driver was able to obtain the necessary racing license, would they be allowed to rent a car until their car was completed?

This might help folks who want to get into racing, but do not have a "race ready" car at the moment.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:05 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
Can anyone confirm that a driver can obtain a PCA racing license but then rent a drive? For example, someone wants to go racing in Spec Boxster but doesn't have a car. If the driver was able to obtain the necessary racing license, would they be allowed to rent a car until their car was completed?

This might help folks who want to get into racing, but do not have a "race ready" car at the moment.
Yes, license and car are two seperate things with PCA and every other org that I'm aware of but; you will need a car (at least a rental) to actually get a license with PCA, NASA etc. You can get a license at a racing school but you will still need to do your required rookie school and races with PCA before you get a full license.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:08 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

I have seen many rented seats in PCA racing over the years as long as car is PCA log booked and driver holds a current licence I think you are good to go
Rich
Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Since you rent from a private party - a race shop, individual, or something along those lines - you just have to convince them to let you use the car. There's no "allowed" about it in the traditional sense since PCA or whoever organizes the event isn't involved in the rental.

The money to rent the car as well as whatever credentials are required to participate in the event are what is typically asked for. I don't have a race license and rented one from a local race shop for a DE. I paid for the rental and I think they took a copy of my street drivers license.

I would recommend calling in advance to set things up rather than just showing up. That gives them time to make sure the car is ready and such.

We've had discussions here on whether a deposit or insurance should be required and refunded upon return with no accidents. While we usually conclude yes it would be prudent for the shop or individual to ask for one, generally it doesn't happen as that makes it much harder for them to get the car rented.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 PM
ML///
Racer

I appreciate the responses. I certainly would not just show up unannounced. The question is more to help others who are eager to jump into PCA club racing without having their car finished.

I asked because I have seen a number of people build cars to go racing (not PCA racing) without ever turning a lap in the class they wish to race. Those builds usually end with the owner parting ways with the car before completion or selling after its all done. I imagine this is a great way to get a race car for a pretty decent price. However, just knowing that someone can "test" the class before committing is very economical (from a judgement sense).
Old 08-29-2017, 11:27 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Subscribed. Good idea for a thread.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2017, 12:01 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I appreciate the responses. I certainly would not just show up unannounced. The question is more to help others who are eager to jump into PCA club racing without having their car finished.

I asked because I have seen a number of people build cars to go racing (not PCA racing) without ever turning a lap in the class they wish to race. Those builds usually end with the owner parting ways with the car before completion or selling after its all done. I imagine this is a great way to get a race car for a pretty decent price. However, just knowing that someone can "test" the class before committing is very economical (from a judgement sense).
I figured that was the case

And this type of test drive is why I am building a Spec Boxster. Really enjoyed the car. Hope others try it out and see for themselves - race cars are a riot!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

On a Side note, one thing that is well worth while is to find volunteer as a Tech, Grid, Scoring ECT. A GREAT way to get to know (future) fellow racers, get Ideas on car setup, and pick the officials brain on things you may work on to get faster. Im building my own car so I took a good look at the cars the run up front and I know now that there are certain things that other racers do / have that are really not worth it and I dont need to spend the extra cash for it.. ALSO the People are so friendly and I had SO much FUN, a Great way to give back a little because these people volunteer their time and without them there would be no race.. :-)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 AM
gspinner65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I usually mentor one or two rookies at each PCA race I attend and I find that those that no longer have to worry about driving their car fast and can concentrate on their environment and strategy have the most fun.

My advice is to find an experienced mentor/instructor, who races that can guide you through your individual learning process.

Do your Rookie race at your home track. Anybody that suggests otherwise is a moron.

Racing is expensive. Buying your car is the cheapest part. Whatever people tell you it costs, double it!

The people that do best in racing are those that are humble and never stop learning.
I was asked to add my experience(s) to this thread and, although still learning (forever!!) and having NOT yet done my first PCA club race, do have much to add and included Franks words above as they ring true and should be committed to memory! I will try to be brief so here it goes:

STAY HUMBLE!!! period!! Always seek advice and feedback from an instructor every chance you can get when doing a DE. The moment you "think" you know what your doing is the moment you DON'T! We are ALWAYS learning and if you are not, stop, get out of the car and seek an instructor so you can get back on track (to learning!)
SEAT TIME - there is NO substitute for seat time. But make sure every time you are in the seat you have a very specific goal you want to achieve: ocular awareness , smooth inputs, no missed shifts, etc.
Always seek instruction - find a CI or instructor that works well with you and challenges you to be your best!
Go to school!! - I started this crazy passion by attending Bertil Roos Racing School, and continue to work with them to this day (since 2014) thru a modified Performance Driving Clinic I set up with them. They also offer arrive and drive events for racing, etc. I am sure there are others who may offer this, but I am most knowledgeable about Bertil Roos.
Run with different groups/regions - diversify your events by going to as many different tracks as you can afford (time/money) this will give you experience on many fronts running with a variety of drivers and tracks that you may not otherwise see if you only drive your "home" track. I personally have found that this has helped me "learn" tracks faster, but again, seat time, seat time, seat time - there is NO substitute!!
This year I have done 16 events, most of which were three day events and have been told by others more experienced than me, that I should be club racing - that's very humbling as I feel I should spend another year working on my craft and learning. To that end, there are three tracks that I feel very at home with to do my first club race but I have decided to wait till next year as costs for this year have been higher than I budgeted for (see Franks comment above!!!) and I still have four more events coming up.
On a positive note, I have been noticing that the faster I get the less wear and tear I have been subjecting my brakes to and so my pads and rotors are lasting longer!! Can't say the same for tires as a heat cycle is a heat cycle and I really do like my Hoosier R7's!
Recap - Be HUMBLE, Go to school, get seat time, be humble, get more instruction every time your at the track, get more seat time, diversify your track choices and exposure to other groups, and be SAFE!!!
ON THAT NOTE: If you are in the financial position to be able to afford and run on track any of the new 500+ hp cars out there - please do everyone a favor - DON'T BUY IT!!! Go get a 944, or older 911, or a cheap Cayman or Boxster - strip it, cage it, put in a fire suppression system, seats, 6 pt harnesses and learn to be fast in THAT!!! You will become a MUCH better driver than that guy who is fast down the straight in his GT3 or Turbo, but brakes WAY too early and creeps thru the turns holding you up!!! Better to be the fast guy in the slow car than the slow guy in the fast car!! - HUMBLE. Comments welcome - good, bad - I learn from them all, thanks for reading and be safe and have fun. - There is more to come!!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:00 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Longtime SoCal lurker, but had to finally register. Will be going thru the PCA W2W"check out ride" process end of Sept @ Big Willow. If that all goes well, planning rookie race for Buttonwillow in Nov.

12 years mixed AX/DE/TT participation with PCA and POC. Bucket list item to achieve the experience and skills of W2W racing, Its the pinnacle of what we do.
Credo: Be safe, have fun and FINISH
#869 GT3
Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 PM
ML///
Racer

Originally Posted by 911ted
Longtime SoCal lurker, but had to finally register. Will be going thru the PCA W2W"check out ride" process end of Sept @ Big Willow. If that all goes well, planning rookie race for Buttonwillow in Nov.

12 years mixed AX/DE/TT participation with PCA and POC. Bucket list item to achieve the experience and skills of W2W racing, Its the pinnacle of what we do.
Credo: Be safe, have fun and FINISH
#869 GT3
911ted, please share / document your progress here so it gives others a frame of reference. I'm starting to think people want to go racing, but they just don't know where to start. Let's remove that excuse by giving others knowledge. I'll be doing the same through my journey.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 PM
C-gt3
Racer

im interested in this thread.
im a newbie and im interested in racing , i have over 250 track days.
everthing i have learned is from rennlist and CHINN... lol
when you race, are you required to do a certain amount of club races for PCA? how does that work?
im also more interested in getting away from the family on designated weekends!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Direct from PCA

II.Rookie Application (Applicant without Existing Competition License and no prior competition experience) - Must be complete with listing of experience, fully completed medical form no more than 60 days old at the time of submittal, the Certification o fExperience and Ability , fee, proof of a current PCA Membership, and a fully completed, signed application form. See 2017 PCA ClubRacing Rule Book / Licensing Procedures.
Experience: The applicant must present evidence of having completed twelve or more days of race track driving training and experience at driver’s education events, time trials, race schools or equivalent events within the past 24 months. Six of the required 12 or more days must be with a PCA (or equivalent) driver's education event. Dates, locations, sanctioning body, Chief Instructor, Run Group data, and instruction status (e.g., signed off by instructor after the first two sessions) data and a complete listing of track days shall be provided with the application. (Equivalency is determined by the PCA Club Racing Committee.)
Date Track Run Group Instructor Soloed (after how many sessions)
PLEASE NOTE: INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED

Quick Reply: Let's go racing - Guide for newcomers