Sponsored by:

Let's go racing - Guide for newcomers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's go racing - Guide for newcomers

I noticed there isn't a sticky explaining the process of how to go from DE into racing (especially with PCA). I am very interested in slowly checking the boxes towards my chance to race within PCA.

From the forums, it seems like there are loads of veterans who do not hesitate to throw out advice - now can we put together a plan on what someone should follow to transition to Racing? I know it's very open ended and totally high-level, but hopefully there are standard steps that everyone can agree on. (I could be totally wrong, but I figured there would be some process)

I was told that a goal without a plan is only a dream. So, in the interest of going racing (even if its limited number of events) let's create a plan for newcomers.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:18 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Great idea - subscribed.

I would be especially interested in the financial aspect of things - heard club racing really takes a toll. No specific numbers of course to maintain everybody's privacy but, some cost ranges for certain classes, would be great to get a sense.

I'd like to use lack of finances as my excuse for not racing, instead of lack of skill
Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I usually mentor one or two rookies at each PCA race I attend and I find that those that no longer have to worry about driving their car fast and can concentrate on their environment and strategy have the most fun.

My advice is to find an experienced mentor/instructor, who races that can guide you through your individual learning process.

Do your Rookie race at your home track. Anybody that suggests otherwise is a moron.

Racing is expensive. Buying your car is the cheapest part. Whatever people tell you it costs, double it!

The people that do best in racing are those that are humble and never stop learning.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:04 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Make sure that you have enough money
Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

The requirements to get a license are not terribly stringent. Only 12 DE days (not weekends) are required before you are eligible for a check out ride.

Before I decided to go racing I did a year of Autocross and then I worked up to in the black run group in DE. And BTW I was the KING of DE. Then I got utterly bitchslapped by a pair of Miatas in may fancy E Stock 911 race car. Funny stuff but it shows you the difference between the two disciplines.

In theory a blue run group driver could have 12 DE days and be eligible

My advice would be not to be too quick. You'll find yourself in a sh!tstorm and a dangerous one at that. Get to the point where the track driving is subconscious. That doesn't happen in 12 days. You'll know when that is. Also make it a point to drive everywhere on the track. It's one thing to be fast on line but you also have to be confident and fast off line. Not much opportunity of that in a DE setting but take the opportunity when you can. Maybe line up with a buddy and both of you work together on these skills. Today's extended passing DE's are great training. In a nutshell do as many DE weekends as you can before making the switch. It's cheap fun too.

See the Miatas at 3:39

Old 08-25-2017, 01:34 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

So Frank, doing my rookie race at Sebring was a........bad idea?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
So Frank, doing my rookie race at Sebring was a........bad idea?
I think it worked out for you quite well but doing your first race at a brand new track could be quite overwhelming for some.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:54 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

That was tongue in cheek. It was 11 years ago, in my 944 turbo, which I spun on an out lap early in the morning. The whole thing was right up there with the dumbest things I've ever done.

Got my rookie X off at Road Atlanta that spring in a combined enduro crash fest in the pouring rain. Actually, that might be the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Frank Pray gives sage advice.....
Old 08-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW

Frank Pray gives sage advice.....
One of the truest things ever written on Rennlist right there!!! Cheers to that!

I am actually writing a little write up on this exact topic and my first race weekend experience right now. I'll share in a couple of days.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I like the Idea of a Sticky like that! Im in the same boat although I Keep costs to a bare min because Im doing all my own prep on the car, Cage, Engine, wiring, Paint and body, Its definitely rewarding and keeps costs down but have a TON of time in it.. Of course I started with a high mileage example of a good car and one I am familiar with and have a hoard of parts for, (I just couldn't cut up a "Nice car") I will have a write up on the build start to finish in a couple of weeks. I have High hopes to do my "Checkout ride" in OCT. I came from a NASCAR background but for some reason that is not one of the listed licence approvals for PCA? Im actually looking forward to racing and not having to do bodywork after every race.. :-)
Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Let me start with a shout out to Frank Pray as he single handedly is bringing more new racers into the fold than any other PCAer that I know AND he gives awesome advice!!!

I hope this thread will gain lots of attention because I think there are plenty of folks that would benefit every season.

So my advice . . .

Having just gone from DEs to racing in 3 seasons I hope I can add some small value to the "sage advice" already given.

First, there are many routes. One leader in todays SPB community did some insane number of days in his first year and became a leader in his category almost instantly. V. Svenson started in college doing autocross in parking lots and 2 decades later became his class champion. What both have in common are exactly what Frank said in the beginning. They built their experience level to where driving on the track was second nature and then they joined the ranks of racing.

So, how do you know when driving on the track is second nature?

Honestly I have not previously thought this thru and others can add as the thread grows, but my first overly simplified reaction is to say that when your lap times are within tenths of second of each other, you probably are a safe enough track driver to consider racing. The other simple answer is to ask your coaches which segues perfectly into my second piece of advice.

Second, professional coaches who understand your goal is to race and not to stay just in DEs are invaluable and can greatly accelerate your learning curve.

So, that's it for the moment. I hope others will chime in and add to or correct my two pieces of advice.

Cheers!

Joe
Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66

Second, professional coaches who understand your goal is to race and not to stay just in DEs are invaluable and can greatly accelerate your learning curve.

Joe
Excellent point Joe. This works in the DE setting as well. If you let your CI and your instructors know your goal is to club race they will approach your weekend a bit differently. They can pair you up with a club racer, similar car etc. I know I'm more aggressive in the right seat if a student has indicated their desire to race.

And don't stop getting people into your right seat just because you moved up and out of the instructed groups.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:47 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm working along the path. Building my Boxster into a SPB and using it for DEs until it and I am ready for racing. I don't get to a lot of events with a young family so my timeline is pretty slow.

For costs, you can look at arrive and drive rental prices. Figure that and you'll be safe. It will be be a bit high but sadly not way high. (Most people run cheaper tires in DE and reduce costs there so that's a difference.) Renting a spec boxster or spec Miata for DE will probably cost $800-1500 per day depending on the details (what tires, trackside support, prep level of the car). Also add the cost of getting there, registering, and the financial ability to handle an accident in the unlikely event that things go horribly wrong. So something like $1k/day if you try to keep it simple and cheap. $600 maybe if you own the car and set it up on street tires.

To reduce that cost, a 944 or an uncompetitive Miata race car would be cheaper but probably not available for rent. You can get a good race car for $10-15k though, and one that isn't great may be cheaper to purchase (though typically you're getting what you pay for). And tire costs are a big part of the overall expense, so if you run street tires (which last a lot longer) you'll cut a big chunk out of the running costs. But they're not as fun. Running a 944 on street tires might keep it well under $500? Not sure.

There are three local guys that co-own and race two miatas. I think one is much more competitive than the other and the second is a backup for when the competitive one is down. They do their own work together and really keep the costs down so they can all race more. If you get creative and do the work you can reduce the financial costs but you are giving up time and convenience.

If you run your street car you can ignore a lot of the wear items and pretend they're free. They aren't but if you only do it a few times you'll get away with it. So for a few times while you test the waters this is usually what people do. And the more you get it into the more you'll see the race cars are cheaper when all things are equal.

To get into racing it boils down to finding what organization does it locally to you - usually NASA or the SCCA - and getting out to DEs regularly. They'll put someone in the right seat with you and that person will help you learn the basic skills. As you get safer and learn they'll move you from the novice group to intermediate and advanced.

In NASA they do HPDE groups 1-4, and once you've done an event at DE4 you can get your race license and do races and time trials. You do need to meet the safety requirements to race which basically means you need a real race car instead of a street car and you need proper clothing.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 607 Likes on 297 Posts

I have been racing in PCA for a number of years with an occasional trip over to HSR. I too have been a mentor for some new racers at their first events always at Sebring my home track.
There is some good advice posted here let me add some early decisions a want to be racer should consider. First what class and run group do I want to be in I have seen many folks build a car then try to figure out where to run it. Pick a group you will enjoy that maybe because your buddies are in that class or speed and expense fit you better than others. Note it is always a great financial idea to buy a log booked car in the class you want then building one. Try to get some friends and/or family members to come out to at least your first race you will not believe how much there is to do at a race compared to a DE. Speaking of DEs it is really a good idea to hook up with racers who attend DEs with you park next to them and bug the **** out of them with questions if you ask you learn.
Remember to have FUN
Rich
Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Frank's advice is spot on .

Find a mentor (I have been one and it works great).

Be patient with yourself.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. In other words, invest in yourself (safety and coaching) before that $14,000 three way remote reservoir suspension.

Quick Reply: Let's go racing - Guide for newcomers