orange SPB
75.71%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Who's at fault?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I would have liked to see the 944 to either be more situationally aware -- or realize there was nothing to be gained by tracking that far right. Holding the line when there was no reason to do so is a lame excuse. Providing racing room -- just in case would have been the wiser move.

I would have liked to see the SPB back off even if it meant position is lost. I think you had a reasonable expectation that room was going to be given, but you left yourself no out once you realized it might not. It *could* have ended up much worse -- and for what gain?

Mike
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM
jkb157
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a drivers history is a good indicator if you can trust the person you are racing side by side. 3 races, rookie season and 2 13ths.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:26 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I applaud your maturity and openness to debate btw

After being to recipient of some hits this year - sometimes sh*t happens

Probably not worthy of you losing your license in my view
Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Let me add one more thing. Racing is chess at 100 MPH... I have no idea where or what, where this video was taken before viewing today, but a veteran racer would have assessed this situation a little better.

If I see a lone 944 running on track and I'm about to pass it, I'm assuming it's at the back of the pack, perhaps a rookie (I actually have no idea how many were entered for this particular race, but it doesn't matter) and that it's there for a reason. PROCEED WITH CAUTION AND EXPECT ANYTHING... substitute 944 or Bxst or any other class. Situational awareness doesn't only pertain to what you see, it's what you assess in the moment or thinking 2 steps ahead.
Haha, too funny, I am doing my rookie race next month and have a big sticker for the back of the car that says New Driver Please be Patient

All in the name of humor of course

Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Haha, too funny, I am doing my rookie race next month and have a big sticker for the back of the car that says New Driver Please be Patient

hahaha that's great!!

Just to be clear, we are only commenting on the rules as they are written by PCA.... the contact was very minor and not a big deal in other series. This is kind of "normal" in NASA racing and in Spec Miata wouldn't even be worth the time to write up an incident report...
Old 07-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

hahaha that's great!!

Just to be clear, we are only commenting on the rules as they are written by PCA.... the contact was very minor and not a big deal in other series. This is kind of "normal" in NASA racing and in Spec Miata wouldn't even be worth the time to write up an incident report...
Actually, hasn't WEC adopted zero contact as well? Totally get it. I would also put blame on both. 944 certainly should have been more aware but SPB also had every opportunity to breathe through that section and wait for a better area to pass. I think there was an assumption made by the SPB the 944 had indeed seen him and he went for it. Being behind enough 944's and understanding how much they can roll and move sometimes I tend to give them a bit more room. If this is indeed a slightly challenging part of the track where it is a low risk pass then the 944 may have also assumed the SPB would lift and wouldn't be punching it through and was just focusing on their line or even driving the mirrors a bit, who knows. Either way you can only control your own car and your own decisions and the one thing I didn't see any of even in the appeal was self evaluation or self criticism... There is almost always something you can do differently in retrospect if you are self analyzing. Perhaps that also played a part in the 13?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Because those are some of the most famous turns on the east coast and everyone knows them and has either passed or been passed there. MMC and the turn in question, not so much.
You are making an assumption based on your location, driving knowledge, etc. Who is to say that the powers to be that handed out your 13 are from the area, are familiar, etc, etc, etc.

...... and the one thing I didn't see any of even in the appeal was self evaluation or self criticism... There is almost always something you can do differently in retrospect if you are self analyzing.
+1
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

This is suppose to be gentlemen racing. If I know I am that much faster than the car in front of me I always try to be patient and make sure it's a clean pass. If I need to wait until a straight away so be it. Not sure there was a lot to accomplish by forcing a pass there instead of waiting for a straight. In cases where there is a car out of class that is suppose to be faster but isn't I tend to be more aggressive if it's slow in the corners. Track awareness is crucial.

Although I'd call this a rub out I'd give the 13 to the Boxster if forced to pick one.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:45 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

The video from the trailing car in the first part of the video shows the 944 moving over and you having the opportunity to back off, but you didn't. The audio from your onboard video reveals you lifted once the 944 moved over. You're reaction was to get back on the gas and try to make the pass rather than back off. That's why you got the 13.
I would give the Orange SPB a 13 because as a driver, your race track awareness is know where where passing is a low percentage high risk area.

I personally witnessed at MMC DE where the faster car was attempting to pass a slower car on the inside in exactly the corner, with he slower car was keeping the line and the overtaking taking ran out of asphalt and turned into the slower car. The result was the faster car rolled over a few times and the slower car spun on the track. Fortunately both drivers were OK

​​​​​I racing at Watkins Glen in a SVRA sprint race and was aware of three faster cars approaching me prior to the esses. The first 2 cars passed me on the left at corner 2. The 3rd car is behind me and prior to transitioning from corner 4 to corner 5, I check my right side mirror and see no car. I made the decision to maintain the line and then was hit in the right side rear quarter panel. Th driver was trying to make a low percentage,high risk pass and not waiting until I moved right or try to pass me on the left. This was an experienced driver. No 13 to overtaking driver because corner workers did not see incident.

IMO, track awareness on where it is safer to pass is a must, the trophy is only paper and not worth the risk to you or your fellow race drivers.

​​​
​​​​​​
Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,198 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Its funny but also smart. The "X" for a new driver should signal people that a new driver may not have great situational awareness. But that X goes away after four races which is probably too soon for most of us!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:07 PM
jwasbury
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes The contact was minor, and yes the PCA rules seem to penalize "racing incidents" more than other series. That said, I'd have checked up and then passed the 944 on the brakes going into hairpin. If he was going 30sec/lap slower that would be an easy move. Raced and driven many laps full course at MMC and top of that hill is not a good place to make a pass. 944 tracking right before initiating left turn for kryptos was rather predictable.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:10 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 111 Posts

Orange SPB. We in the Boxster world don't get to make many passes, so you gotta be clean. Be ready for stupid stuff like this, put two in the dirt, back out of it when you see him turning in, etc. Yes, he should have left "racing room", but he didn't. Assume at your peril. No overlap at turn in.

Turn it around, say you were the car being passed, driving the line, while a Cup car came up on you. If contact, yes it's his fault, but you both have damage.

Great comments here. I (also) applaud your openness to discuss.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
Hold your line doesn't mean run into a car if he is already there. Hold your line means stay predictable. Rule #1 always leave racing room.
You dont move off line if you dont see the car. It is clear the white car was already on line when the orange car mistimed the run and tried to slip by on the inside. Poor decision plain and simply on the orange car.

Fact one. We do know the orange saw the white car and its line and judge over taking speed.

What we dont know is when, if at all the white cars driver saw the inside move. It does appear that the white car did not see or antisapate the orange cars move.

Rule is the over taking car has to do so cleanly. In this case he didnt. That much is clear.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:20 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

I am sure your the guy pointing people by as you leave plenty of racing room for the racers as they pass you.

Drivers leaving room are the unpredictable drivers (off line) that cause these mishaps on track.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:21 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I think the orange SPB unfortunately. I participated in that race at MMC and had some struggles with when/how to execute a pass in that Kryptos section. Passing there is definitely dicey there so in an over abundance of caution, I personally either waited or, if I was being passed, I gave plenty of room (probably too much, as I ended-up slowing myself down pretty materially but I was suffering from spongy brake in the Enduro so no biggie).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's at fault?