75.71%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Who's at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

The idea is smooth, clean lines. This occurs not only on open track but is especially important to prove you can drive a clean, fast and smooth line while in traffic among slower and faster cars. Club racing is not NASCAR.

After the ego settles down (I say this with respect) read the post. Good, well intended responses.

Anticipating passes and making them smooth while keeping your momentum takes track time. Can't always keep momentum but you can always be clean and smooth. This is the part rookie drivers miss most often.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Easy easy... easy.

I would camp out from this thread for a couple days and just chill. Totally understandable to be reactive at this point because you are getting some honest, well intentioned - but blunt - feedback. You asked for it!

Trust me, the whole thing will look and feel different after time passes and you reflect on it
Best advice yet.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm not picking a dog in this fight but I have driven thousands of laps at MMC.
Kryptos is a very dangerous corner to be passing in. It is where the bulk of bad accidents have occurred over the years at that track. When you are committed to that corner, it is very difficult to alter your trajectory without a potential bad outcome. It is high speed, blind, and downhill. What could go wrong?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 PM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
When you are committed to that corner, it is very difficult to alter your trajectory without a potential bad outcome. It is high speed, blind, and downhill. What could go wrong?
Everything
Old 07-25-2017, 09:48 PM
400hp944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mannym5
A lot of great points brought up here.. This was an unfortunate incident and I agree if the 944 was more aware of his surroundings it would have helped avoid this situation... BUT
It's important to remind yorself(I have to do the same sometimes) that passing slower traffic is often not doable in the moment you get to their bumper. It often requires planning/thinking ahead. I've seen another video floating around from this same weekend of you making what seems to be pretty aggressive pass attempts at MMC on the top 3 sp2 cars that ended up having a pretty big effect on their podium results. I'm not putting you fully at blame here either but it still seems pretty aggressive nonetheless. https://youtu.be/embFn2MD8pY

The tracks and examples you gave in your rebuttal are also quite risky passing sections especially on a rookie driver that you don't know or haven't raced with and especially for someone with a 13 under their belt from 2 months ago. IMO and if I had a recent 13, I would not risk going side by side with a rookie 944 up The esses at the Glen without clear signal that he is leaving room. Instead the approach for me would be to maintain momentum by leaving a small gap and then accelerate/close the gap and position yourself so the pass is easily made on the long straight section exiting the esses.
Similar thought process for turn 11 and no name at lime rock. If you can't safely outbrake going into 11 it's not going to kill your race to ease off slightly and come onto the main front straight with more momentum than the slower traffic car and easily complete that pass at or before the start/finish line. Same for lime rock. Cleanly outbrake them before the uphill if they are that slow and if that's not doable you can easily get them on the back straight before turn 6. Again, why risk it if there is uncertainty?

These are just some of my observations. I don't want to beat a dead horse on the other suggestions/input already made. You clearly have the speed and skill and I also hope you keep your head up and continue with pca and spb next year as it is a great racing class.
You were not in control of your car in this video either. You cut across the inside curbing making a straight line toward the left side of the track. At nearly tracks edge, you turned your wheels to the right while on the brakes, which almost caused the rear-ender.... By this time you had already forced the other 944 into the grass. You lost car control going over the inside curbing which resulted in tracking out across track to the outside gator.....
Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
What could go wrong?
Involuntary amateur gender re-assignment surgery?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Ooph.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Whoa. Calling Dr Freud..:

Is this no longer covered by CanadaCare?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Provost Motorsports
I had a simular incident with the same car as I was approaching HOT ....Had to drill the brakes not to hit him
Just because I am in a faster car does not give me the right of way nor should he have to go off line because of me...The slower cars have a race also
In that situation I would have backed out and passed him after that corner or after fishhook That section is very dificult and a low percentage for passing
After all the prize money is the same win or lose and sometimes discretion is the better part of valer
Originally Posted by linzman
stupid aggressice pass by the orange car in a spot where he should have known the white car would move to the right to take that turn properly. It is the orange cars responsibility to make a safe pass. 13 to the orange car.
Originally Posted by 996AE
+1

I tell rookie drives to hold their line and let the faster car find a clean pass around them. this is a race not a DE. the white car held the race line. orange car made a poor pass.
Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
White car should have given more room, orange car should have been ready to back off/go off if the room wasn't given. Orange car was behind and straight up turned into white car. Accident was completely avoidable by orange car - whatever the rules are, you can't win a race if you crash.
Originally Posted by sbelles
Shared blame but the 944 was already turning in when the orange car initiates the pass. I would have gone two in the grass to avoid the contact though. Hell, I'm two in the grass there and the next one anyway. The white car had a tough rookie weekend. He was the meat in a Boxster sandwich earlier.

Edit: Please don't take this too personally, you're a good driver but it's your first year and you've 13ed out already. You can't control what the other drivers do so when you come back you need to examine what you can do differently. In this case, you could have lifted a little and still gotten by him before the next turn. When to take chances and when not too takes some time to learn. Good luck to you next year.
Going by PCA rules, it was the passing cars fault. I agree that other series might have ruled differently, but you have to race by the rules of the series you're in. If you've been banned for 13 months, it must be your 2nd 13 in 3 races in your rookie year for PCA. An iffy pass for sure, even more so if you already had a 13.
Originally Posted by Spyerx
I don't race, most of my buddies do and these are always topics in the paddock, and well, I've seen this exact issue more than a few times and in all cases that I recall the passing car was issued the 13.

Orange assumed the white car saw him, he didn't or white wouldn't have turned in. And, orange initiated the pass while white was moving track right for the next turn, plenty of time (of course in hindsight) to pull back and wait. Voted orange.
Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Gotta disagree with this. If you have 10 accidents, even if all 10 are legally/technically considered not-at-fault accidents, you're still a **** driver.
Originally Posted by CFGT3
The video from the trailing car in the first part of the video shows the 944 moving over and you having the opportunity to back off, but you didn't. The audio from your onboard video reveals you lifted once the 944 moved over. You're reaction was to get back on the gas and try to make the pass rather than back off. That's why you got the 13.
THIS. And history is relevant in the sense it's only your third race and you already got banned. I recall a sketchy pass at Lime Rock, lap 2 , going in between 2 cars at the bottom of the uphill to pass 2 clearly faster cars who were stuck behind other traffic and both promptly passed you back on the front straight. High risk, low reward move. NOT illegal, but definitely questionable judgement. And rubbing is not allowed in PCA. Again, if you knew you already had a 13 from Lime Rock, why attempt a sketchy pass instead of waiting
Originally Posted by 996AE
Faster car always has the responsibility when overtaking a slower car to make clean safe pass.

Orange simply mistimed his run and speed. Simple.
Easy easy... easy.

I would camp out from this thread for a couple days and just chill. Totally understandable to be reactive at this point because you are getting some honest, well intentioned - but blunt - feedback. You asked for it!

Trust me, the whole thing will look and feel different after time passes and you reflect on it
Originally Posted by CFGT3
The fact you still think you are in the right despite the multitude of people telling you otherwise, says a lot. Instead of being contrite and accepting experienced people's advise, also says a lot. The videos don't lie and these are all learning tools because you clearly have speed but are lacking in judgment on when to pass. That's the good news because that can be changed.

I still haven't seen you accept ANY wrong doing m in any of these situations and you may not believe you are. You have more speed than any of these SP class cars. You were not being pressured from behind. Picking your spots to pass is one of the finer points of race craft. Sometimes slowing down to set up a pass on a back marker so that the trailer competitor gets caught behind him, can give you the breathing room you want. Interfering with other classes racing when you're not being hounded isn't cool. Hopefully you'll see this differently after you've had time to cool down a bit
^^All this^^

It's been interesting watching this thread evolve, and it's super important for everyone who races in PCA to flesh this out in their own minds, IN ADVANCE, to avoid this happening to them.

I'm struck by two things...

There's no incident without a passing car... and

"I thought..." are the most dangerous two words out of a driver's mouth after an incident...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym5
A lot of great points brought up here.. This was an unfortunate incident and I agree if the 944 was more aware of his surroundings it would have helped avoid this situation... BUT
It's important to remind yorself(I have to do the same sometimes) that passing slower traffic is often not doable in the moment you get to their bumper. It often requires planning/thinking ahead. I've seen another video floating around from this same weekend of you making what seems to be pretty aggressive pass attempts at MMC on the top 3 sp2 cars that ended up having a pretty big effect on their podium results. I'm not putting you fully at blame here either but it still seems pretty aggressive nonetheless.
There is zero reason to try to go through this section side by side with an out of class car. You are only slowing yourself AND others down with such an overly aggressive move. Keep in mind that the guy with the lowest average lap time wins.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Shall we take a different approach and all admit that if he was in a lower gear he would have had 50 more hp to complete the pass?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Whoa. Calling Dr Freud..:

Is this no longer covered by CanadaCare?
Now Dave... as you well know it is covered in Montreal.

Wait, did we get off topic here?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Easy easy... easy.

I need to get myself checked out because Mat-t just made a valid point.

Give yourself a few days to chill out. I have said and done things in the heat of the moment which I have regretted. My helmet has scratches from being thrown. I've gone to talk to people while all pissed off instead of waiting to calm down.

I'd like to think I learned my lesson. The only "incident" I was involved in involved a rub-out at Summit. We both agreed it was a racing incident but the scratches in my livery remind me to take it easy.

Z - I have driven with you plenty of times. You are a good driver. Sometimes you make a mistake and get away with it and sometimes you don't. Multi-class driving requires just a little more patience than you showed in your video.

Don't take your ball and go home because you feel wronged. Take the punishment and come back stronger for it having learned a lesson. People will respect you for it instead of being the guy who got pissed off and never came back.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Now Dave... as you well know it is covered in Montreal.

Wait, did we get off topic here?
I'd just like to go on the record as all for more H1C visas for pretty young Quebecoise. We definitely could use more talent down here. Well done MMC.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I'd just like to go on the record as all for more H1C visas for pretty young Quebecoise. We definitely could use more talent down here. Well done MMC.
+1 !!!!!!!!!!

Awesome racing, awesome food, and cute girls running around with accents? What more do you want from a race weekend?

Quick Reply: Who's at fault?