Who's at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm in the left/middle of the track approaching T1 at WGI with a car slowly gaining on me on the outside (that I seemingly don't see). My normal line is far left at the 200' marker and a dive to apex. Can I close the door on him at the last second and take my normal line and pretend I had no idea he was there or is it my responsibility to know what is going on around me? I put him into the wall, but hey, that's the line I take. I can't tell you how many times i've give up a position to a dive-bomber or chopper just for self-preservation in PCA racing. I swear most KNOW you will back out and use these "rules" on purpose.
Ah F it G man. Let's just go pro
Old 07-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Ah F it G man. Let's just go pro
I'm going to start renting seats in AER or other series until i'm discovered and start running F1.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm in the left/middle of the track approaching T1 at WGI with a car slowly gaining on me on the outside (that I seemingly don't see). My normal line is far left at the 200' marker and a dive to apex. Can I close the door on him at the last second and take my normal line and pretend I had no idea he was there or is it my responsibility to know what is going on around me? I put him into the wall, but hey, that's the line I take. I can't tell you how many times i've give up a position to a dive-bomber or chopper just for self-preservation in PCA racing. I swear most KNOW you will back out and use these "rules" on purpose.
People get faulted for dive bombs that result in incidences all the times at PCA races. I don't think anybody should misinterpret Bryan's article to all of a sudden condone that behavior.

I simply provided Hunt with a clarification of Bryan's article since he seemed to be confused about how it applied to corners, when in fact Bryan's article specifically referenced the increasingly common problem of two cars hitting in straights, not corners.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

docwyte- Noted- there is not much room down there and nowhere to go- expect into tire wall if you drop a wheel there. most dangerous part of the track.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Wasn't arguing with ya Frank, I guess my point goes simply to the responsibility of being aware and how it can effect other racers. If i'm cruising along at 70% race pace during a race I damn well better be driving in my mirrors, anything else is asking for a collision and to think I would expect the entire field to use me as an auto-X pylon is not acceptable.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Wasn't arguing with ya Frank, I guess my point goes simply to the responsibility of being aware and how it can effect other racers. If i'm cruising along at 70% race pace during a race I damn well better be driving in my mirrors, anything else is asking for a collision and to think I would expect the entire field to use me as an auto-X pylon is not acceptable.
I should have also said that I completely agreee with you.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lord knows you don't have to be fast to get a race license. Or safe\aware. Even in Pro racing.

And everybody can't drive their mirrors 100% of the time.

If you expect amateur PCA racers to always see you 100% of the time, you're going to get hit a lot.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
When the 3 PCA passing rules were published a couple years ago, I suggested they change them to the following 2 rules since few racers I talked to understood the contradictory corner ownership issue:

1. The driver attempting a pass has the majority but shared responsibility to complete a clean pass.

2. If there is any overlap between the passer or passee, racing room must be given by both cars.
I could completely go along with this.

To be fair to the OP, he was asking for clarification from the stewards in the Rookie Meeting at Lime Rock and both the stews and the OP just kept repeating his question and the stews, their respective explanation.

It didn't get answered to the OP's, or to my, satisfaction...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-27-2017, 06:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Lord knows you don't have to be fast to get a race license. Or safe\aware. Even in Pro racing.

And everybody can't drive their mirrors 100% of the time.

If you expect amateur PCA racers to always see you 100% of the time, you're going to get hit a lot.
This.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

But only on the straights.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
People get faulted for dive bombs that result in incidences all the times at PCA races. I don't think anybody should misinterpret Bryan's article to all of a sudden condone that behavior.

I simply provided Hunt with a clarification of Bryan's article since he seemed to be confused about how it applied to corners, when in fact Bryan's article specifically referenced the increasingly common problem of two cars hitting in straights, not corners.
See Frank you are being too black and white. We all know it's never so straight forward with the top brass. Ever. The interpretation changes with the weather. Sometimes in the span of a single driver's meeting! Seen it myself.

And I'm expressly not talking about dive bombs. The exact opposite. The chop.

If someone does something stupid what difference does it make if they are in a corner or on the straight. The result is the same. So if you do something stupid in a corner you're absolved but on the straight you get a 13?

Do you see where this is going? Do you see the door that has been opened or slammed as the case may be?

The point is that the rule needs to be revised with more emphasis placed on racing room no matter where you are and overlap needs to be part of the rule. Relative position of each car thru the corner needs to be part of that revision as well.

As an example what if a Cup has his bumper at my back tire on my inside at turn in. Per the rule I can go for the apex and he has to back out. But given his hp, suspension and tires may be by the time we get to the apex he's got his bumper in front of mine. Doesn't matter since the "ownership" of the corner which isn't ownership of the corner was established at turn in. I'm still going for the apex like an ahole . To my mind I should have given him room but PCA puts the burden on him. This happens all the time in the enduros at smaller events where the SP cars are with the Cups etc. And this is even more important for in class cars where the racing is close.

I've call a call in to TRG so maybe none of this will matter for much longer

And I have money on 22 pages so let's keep this thing rolling!

Last edited by Streak; 07-27-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,072 Posts

The one thing this 16 page thread has proven is that the Spec Boxsters need their own rule group....
Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-for-collision

Glad Tost is not a Club Race steward... smh
Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-for-collision

Glad Tost is not a Club Race steward... smh
Although I don't agree with "not going side by side" with a teammate at the beginning of a race because the cars are heavy, he's the boss and if he doesn't want that, then you don't do that.

If you don't agree with PCA 13/13 rules, then don't race with PCA. Simple.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Although I don't agree with "not going side by side" with a teammate at the beginning of a race because the cars are heavy, he's the boss and if he doesn't want that, then you don't do that.

If you don't agree with PCA 13/13 rules, then don't race with PCA. Simple.
Spot on

Quick Reply: Who's at fault?