Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Wheel offset question

Thought I would ask the Rennlist brainstrust on this:
I have two sets of front wheels (3 really, but for this discussion lets say 2). They have slightly different offsets, by about 1/2 inch, between the two sets. Questions:
1) which is better for handling and all, offset slightly more out or slightly more in? (or does it matter?)
2) I assume it would be bad to mix them - meaning have one of each offset on the car at the same time. I ask this question because on the chance I have to swap a wheel/tire due to a puncture or something else.

Wheels are 10 x 16.

I'm asking this question because like I said, I have 3 sets of fronts (only 2 rears, been looking for another pair forever!!). 2 sets are the same and offset more out by that 1/2 inch - meaning the inner barrel is shallower, outer deeper- than the one offset more in (deeper inner barrel, shallower outer). Should I spend the money to rebuild that one set or does that little make any difference?

TIA

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

There are some some that will consider an offset change as widening or narrowing your track width similar to adding/removing a spacer. Have you noticed a difference when driving either set back to back?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:54 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's what got me to this question:
I've been using the two "full/similar sets" for years. I've had these other two wheels sitting on a shelf with old tires on them. All of our wheels are not holding air well (grommets on the valve stems it turns out are old and brittle and leaking) so I took both full sets to have the tires pulled off (needed new tires on everything anyway). Figured while I was goin, I'd pull the tires off the "extra" wheels so they take up less space on the shelves....
I got to looking at them and wondered why I didn't use them - for whatever reason I always thought they were a different width. Then I measured the offset...which is what's brought me to these questions.

Makes sense that an offset a little more out widens the track some...that's what I was thinking. Just wondering if 1/2 inch makes that much difference?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Far from an expert on this but common sense tells me the wider track resulting from having numerically lower wheel offset might help the handling a bit--for me the bigger question is do they rub anywhere from being closer to the fender.....

Gary
Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey Bob,

.5" offset difference is an inch counting left and right sides, which is a significant difference. I'd take it. It should help handling, but honestly you might be hard pressed to notice the difference.

Scott
Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

i go back and forth from a front set that has a 1/2" difference and as was said, its going to be hard to notice the difference, but it does theoretically help handling as if the car was lowered up front by an 1" or so. (i forget the actual calculations but you get an idea). i wouldnt mix them side to side, but again, its nothing that would be dangerous or you would notice. I had some help a the track one time that mixed up my set on once side of the car, and i didnt catch it until after the race. Had major rubbing, but lap times were fine.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys. Basically what I thought, just wanted a little confirmation. Theoretically better handling but probably not noticeable for me. Probably just going to go with the same sized set that way if a mix and match situation occurs, it's not a big deal..
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Bob - it's really about scrub radius, not just track width. Whether it improves your handling (or not) depends on your a) optimal and b) current baseline scrub radius.

Quick Reply: Wheel offset question