Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously considering a Singer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a resale market for Singers?

Do they hold their value?
Old 06-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Hopefully it will not be a modern version of DP, Gambella, B&B or so many other designer tuner cars of the past.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:27 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPMD
Does anyone know if there is a resale market for Singers?

Do they hold their value?
There are so few built, I don't know if one has been resold yet. Their reputation is such that I would think resale would not be an issue.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:39 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

On the other hand, at the end of the day, it is a tuner car, albeit a nicely decorated one, and it remains to be seen what long term value it might hold and will that be different from the scores of other Porsche tuner cars over the years? Additionally, as each car is so personalized, will the second owner like the first one's taste? Does Singer have a guaranteed buyback program?
Old 06-26-2016, 05:16 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
The one on ebay is the one I was thinking about. If you offered them your price you may well be surprised by the response. I've been obsessed with Gulf Blue since I saw the 981 Spyder specced out in it in France.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...lue-cloud.html

To the point where I'm trying to figure out how to repaint my 987.2 Spyder the color. Honestly, Singer's are truly special. In your shoes I'm not sure what I would do but I think I would be awefully tempted to spec out a Gulf Blue Singer Targa. Keep us posted and good luck.
A wrap would solve the problem for about 5 large.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:52 AM
RupeTN
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I did read on another post in this forum that 4 Singers have changed hands, all for more than their original cost. One gentleman on RL has 2, one he bought resale (the "Dubai' car) and one he spec'd.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:05 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

like someone else stated, i would look at RUF as well
Old 06-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The value proposition with Singer would seem to be their long term value (unless you time the market correctly and get out of it in the short term). In the long term, history seems to show that only real Porsches hold value.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 06-26-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Marvinta
Pro

"The value proposition with Singer would seem to be their long term value (unless you time the market correctly and get out of it in the short term). In the long term, history seems to show that only real Porsches hold value. "

Actually, not true. An excellent counter example are Beck 550 Spyders (and to a lesser degree their 356's) which have very steadily risen in resale value over the last ten years. There are others.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:44 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

How much are they and what have they risen from to?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:17 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I would stay on your original path and 100% go for the Singer. One of my buddies who posted earlier in the thread has driven the Singer's quite a bit and has raved about the car. And BTW he is a 918 owner and one of the pickiest car guys I know.

I just watched the Leno video with the Singer...they are very special and the build process looked like alot of fun. The 991RS is a great car but I would go for the Singer.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RupeTN
I have read through a couple of the older threads (swb3, anonymous918, supperquant) and didn't want to hijack those, so I thought I would post....

Been spending the past few months deciding what to do and which direction to go. Really wanted an R but that didn't happen, no 918 in the garage. And I am truly happy for those who will get one. Have been seriously considering paying the extra "penalty" and getting an RS. If I could find a PTS RS in Gulf Blue that was around 100k over, I might do that. (has to be gulf blue mostly for sentimental reasons, first car was a '74 light blue VW Super Beetle, took me to CA, through school and getting my business started) An RS or Singer in a similar color would be a nice bookend to the Bug.
Once I started to get in that price range of a PTS, then I realized a Singer may not be totally out of the question...the bump up from an RS is a significant stretch but doable.

I've had a few conversations with the guys there (mostly Glenn) and considering flying back to LA (where I used to live/work for 30+ yrs) for a visit to their shop. Most likely would do a 3.8, wouldn't be tracking the car.

What really appeals to me is the level of thoughtfulness, purpose and detail. I tend to really enjoy the design and details most folks would miss, smart yet subtle to some degree. And yeah I know, subtle is not a word I would associate with an RS. But it does have a sense of purpose.

So, better get to the point. I know the RS and the Singer are two different animals. And I know on this forum there are guys who have both. I can't have both right now, but that's okay.
Is one a clear favorite over the other or are they just too different to really compare?

Something else I should be thinking about or looking at ?

thanks in advance.
The singer is a different class. Substantially more fun to drive on street than the RS which I also had. What makes it interesting mechanically is how it drives. I am not a ruf expert but I am not aware of any ruf that either looks as good or drives as beautifully, nor has the same level of finish and materials.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

No doubt a Singer has a mechanical feel as it is an analog car but would a 964 with the same suspension and a more powerful than stock engine feel the same way?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:39 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
No doubt a Singer has a mechanical feel as it is an analog car but would a 964 with the same suspension and a more powerful than stock engine feel the same way?
With proper chassis calibration and setup. Yes. And for way less $$$$.
They do make them pretty though.
Not my style, however.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I haven't driven a Singer (though I have driven a few 964's). Based on what I've seen in terms of watching Singer's being made, the answer is I suspect no, not even close. It's such a hard point to prove as there are so few Singer's out there. I wish a Singer owner would chime in, but he (or she) is probably out buying a small country somewhere and can't be bothered with us.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering a Singer?