Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016 | 06:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Deleted. LOL.
Old 11-03-2016 | 08:03 PM
jdcohenmd
Instructor

Robert my car is nearing completion. It will be #61 New Jersey. I would love to host you or any other forum members who want to experience the car. I will let all know when she is delivered. Just waiting on the carbon brake setup.
The following users liked this post:
markmich (04-12-2020)
Old 11-04-2016 | 01:31 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

I would not sleep for several days before or after picking up a Singer. Congrats and enjoy. Very nice gesture offering Robert a ride. Good karma for you.
Old 11-04-2016 | 07:51 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Thank you very much. I will be available at your convenience. I look forward to it.

bob
Old 11-04-2016 | 11:07 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
I would not sleep for several days before or after picking up a Singer. Congrats and enjoy. Very nice gesture offering Robert a ride. Good karma for you.
After the first drive, it's hard...
Old 11-04-2016 | 05:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Yeah it's special :

Old 11-29-2016 | 01:39 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Another Singer video

http://www.topgear.com/videos/top-ge...r-company-ever
Old 11-30-2016 | 07:53 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

I read the whole thread all in one just now - some in here were patient!

Robert, the issue is that you didn´t built ones a car, a motorcycle from scratch. You didn´t ever modified/restored a car or motorcycle that heavily. Why i can say it. Because otherwise you would have faced multible time that moment after you finished a version of it - that you will say i have to do it again because some details here and there are not working perfect.
And on a car project compared with the depth of how Singer is doing it - you will need a lot of try&error.
You concentrate on 5 points (suspension, engine, brake,...) but already those points are splitting up each time into 10 variants and taking 20 decissions around them, affecting indirect again backwards 5 other things. But you will know this based on your degrees and the engine builds as long you are a core part of it.
And if you ask the Singer guys after their 100th car for example. They will still tell you in a second another 10 things they have to work on.

I learned my example based on the Super7 - you can not just take all the best in the industry parts and put them together in a similar Chapman geometry. A lot of guys trying it - but it doesn´t feel and work like the Caterham for example does.

What creats "the magic"? The relentless pursuit of perfection. As soon the sum of perfection and reconsidering again and again all those small bits - can be only described in magic.
Like the word: luck. Luck for me is a term of a complex combination of a lot of small scientifical identifiable actions which lead to a special moment.

Originally Posted by anonymous918
i am suppose to be picking up my Singer next weekend and driving it home (road trip!)
i allow myself to mention that a lot of us would really appreciate to read or see something about it.

Somebody can tell when we could expect some infos about the williams/singer coop machine?

Last edited by jo_ker; 11-30-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2016 | 08:54 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

how much do Singer's re-sale for? Do they maintain their +500K price tag or is there a % depreciation? I ask as I hope one day (when I win the lotto) to snap one up......
Old 12-01-2016 | 05:47 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by jo_ker

Somebody can tell when we could expect some infos about the williams/singer coop machine?
Some of us have already seen the renderings in person. Imagine a 959 front fenders, some fancy roof profile for aero, no backseat due to roofline and a ducktail. Less than 80 cars total and asking 1.5 million + for each.
Old 12-01-2016 | 05:49 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
how much do Singer's re-sale for? Do they maintain their +500K price tag or is there a % depreciation? I ask as I hope one day (when I win the lotto) to snap one up......
It would be really interesting to follow the resale value of Singers car in 10-20 years time. Regardless of collectibility, they are well made restomods.
Old 12-01-2016 | 06:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by unotaz
Some of us have already seen the renderings in person. Imagine a 959 front fenders, some fancy roof profile for aero, no backseat due to roofline and a ducktail. Less than 80 cars total and asking 1.5 million + for each.
Sort of like a singer version of ruf Ctr-3?
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2016 | 01:55 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Sort of like a singer version of ruf Ctr-3?
Not really. The Ruf CTR3 is based on a mid engine platform. The Singer car is still based off of a 964.
Old 12-15-2016 | 05:56 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

delete
Old 12-24-2016 | 07:43 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I just have not been able to see the magic and am hoping someone can show me what I simply cannot understand --.
This thread piqued my interest so I'll chime in before I bugger off back to the 996 forum. Robert, I really think you mean no I'll will toward Singer vehicles and I think the comment above sums up why you don't feel they are special enough to command the price tag that they do. I've watched just about every YouTube video on Singer and I have "One more than 10" Coming to me in the mail as we speak. If the car doesn't give you goose bumps when you look at it, then it's obviously not worth the price of admission to you. I don't think it boils down to the mechanics of the car, even though I would bet my house on the car driving, handling & sounding out of this world even though I'll never be in a position to own one or even drive one unfortunately.

Having said that, if I was in a position to purchase one, I'd do so in a heartbeat, just based on the look of the car alone. It's not about how fast the car is around a race track. The first thing Dickinson asks his customers is what will they be using the car for. If the answer isn't to spend hours running around the Nurburgring with their hair on fire then does it really matter if mechanically the car is not the most advanced piece of kit on the market?

If the track is your arena then a GT3 RS would be the way to go. You'd have a great car but it would be the same GT3 RS more or less as every other owner. The Singer is truly a bespoke automobile. A one of a kind spec'd just for you (how this will affect the resale market, I have no clue). Couple that with the craftsmanship and attention to detail and thought put into the vehicle and it is truly a work of art.

When you figure 4,000 hours goes into each car, at $100/hr (Chevy labor rates) a price tag of $350-$400k doesn't seam unreasonable, and that's just for labor, not even parts!

Someone said previously that Rob was probably off somewhere buying a private island. I don't think so. I've driven past Singer's shop, and it's a pretty humble building in an ok, not exactly desirable part of the San Fernando Valley. He's often said his goal is for him to be able to afford one of his own cars himself one day and I believe it. Right now they are still a start up. I doubt they are awash with cash.

If you can't see the magic then that's ok. The car's not for you. Me? I can see the magic clear as day.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering a Singer?