Sponsored by:

I'm thinking of selling the 918

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:41 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
And I mean my caption very sincerely. The 993 GT2 is one of the greatest Porsches of all time (depending upon the ranking factors, I might say #1) and my personal favorite. To go right to the Clubsport (with only 33 ever built) is fantastic.
I never understood what is so special about the 993 gt2, rarity aside, much less at their current prices (f40/cgt/xj220) prices.

Could I ask for you as a owner and possibly as a driver why is this car so revered?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
If you want such a car, perhaps it's better to go lobby governments around the world to stop this fuel economy standard non-sense.
There should be production number exemptions. You want Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords to get 40+ mpg? Fine. I have no problem with that. But Porsche should be able to do exactly wtf they want to do with every car from let's say the GT3 and above.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
I never understood what is so special about the 993 gt2, rarity aside, much less at their current prices (f40/cgt/xj220) prices.

Could I ask for you as a owner and possibly as a driver why is this car so revered?
As an owner:

Short gears
Light weight
Sublime steering
Crazy looks
Perfect seats
Good brakes
Pinnacle of all air cooled 911's
Fast enough to be scary
Scary enough to be respected
Can slide sideways under power
50% more HP than the standard 3.8RS of period which is close to 997 GT2RS ethos
Homologation special for FIA LM24 cars
Looks identical to racing version
Old 03-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

It’s just sad that we’ll never see the 918 motor in a stand-alone NA platform.....
Old 03-28-2018, 05:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
It’s just sad that we’ll never see the 918 motor in a stand-alone NA platform.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is actually the statement i agree with most. to me, the 918 is a bit too heavy for its own good, the driving experience is quite remote.. the electric steering is lifeless. the regen brakes are non-linear and have a strange texture to them at different point in the pedal travel. it feels like many different systems working together to hurl a very heavy machine towards the horizon violently. yes its blindingly fast.. you can barely keep your feet on the ground under full accel.

but...

but, it's just so capable, that you're just a driver in a videogame set to "EASY" mode... it's not like driving a 911R for example.. you're just an optional piece of flesh in the driver's seat.. the 918 feels like Porsche could have easily taught it to drive itself but they didn't just to boost owner's egos, to make them feel wanted. and out of warranty I don't think owners will want to keep them.. we're at what, SEVEN (well-managed and secretive) recalls so far and counting??? watch the prices drop soon as mere millionaires **** their pants with repair bills and only the truly wealthy will dare to hold on. it's a feat of engineering, and incredibly beautiful... sure.

...and yet, that amazing v8 engine behind you, while incredibly torque-filled by the hybrid.. in some ways feels hobbled.. like a race horse forced to carry a heavy jockey on his back. that engine.. in a lighter car.. without the hybrid.. and 2WD instead of AWD.. OMFG... you could sell it at 2x the price. the whole "holy trinity" hybrid experiment is great, and it will spawn great lower market cars. but that lemans derived v8 in the 918 deserves a chance to run on its own.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
and that sound. we need that sound in a real Porsche!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

watch the prices drop soon as mere millionaires **** their pants with repair bills and only the truly wealthy will dare to hold
Compared to my CGT bills, i'm not too worried.....
Old 03-29-2018, 02:15 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryf
Compared to my CGT bills, i'm not too worried.....
Old 03-29-2018, 02:33 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 989 Likes on 429 Posts

Of the 3 holy trinity hypercars, which car do you think will be the cheapest and the most reliable car to maintain?

You think P1 or the LaFerrari will be cheaper than the 918 to maintain down the line? LOL

and out of warranty I don't think owners will want to keep them.. we're at what, SEVEN (well-managed and secretive) recalls so far and counting??? watch the prices drop soon as mere millionaires **** their pants with repair bills and only the truly wealthy will dare to hold on. it's a feat of engineering, and incredibly beautiful...
Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Of the 3 holy trinity hypercars, which car do you think will be the cheapest and the most reliable car to maintain?

You think P1 or the LaFerrari will be cheaper than the 918 to maintain down the line? LOL
You ask such embarrassing questions.

hahahaha
Old 03-29-2018, 04:21 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 989 Likes on 429 Posts

LOL, sorry Mike, I'm the king of the obvious

Originally Posted by W8MM

You ask such embarrassing questions.

hahahaha

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of selling the 918