Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about the additional delay. Lets just hope you get your car before the rest of us on the above list.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Anyway, on a side note, I am counting the 918 buyers on this board as I am bored.

-myself
-swb3
-GT3_racer
-918man
-todbod
-notmelo
-wtdoom
-footsoldier
-unotaz
-apolo1
-heynow

That's 11 cars. I think I got them all?
Yo' you forgot about me!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 AM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes, getting close though.

The whole "get to the factory to see your car" is quite the experience. I used two channels, the most effective has actually been PCNA amazingly but I think it is thanks to my guy in Minneapolis that's very persistent. Having said that...I have been offered a window that feels much like Steve Martins character in the Jerk movie where he is a weight guesser. The opportunity is there and wide, but really it is a very narrow window that is so small and narrow it is not worth the expense or effort........
Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 AM
heynow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't carmaven also getting one?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:00 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
Yo' you forgot about me!
Sorry I left you out

Alright, that's 12 then.

Anyone else I left out? We can do a running tally here.

Pretty amazing that we can find at least 12 owners on one site.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:11 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swb3
Yikes, getting close though.

The whole "get to the factory to see your car" is quite the experience. I used two channels, the most effective has actually been PCNA amazingly but I think it is thanks to my guy in Minneapolis that's very persistent. Having said that...I have been offered a window that feels much like Steve Martins character in the Jerk movie where he is a weight guesser. The opportunity is there and wide, but really it is a very narrow window that is so small and narrow it is not worth the expense or effort........

I agreed the window is very very narrow. But it's all due to the way the 918 is produced.

I had early warning that I won't get much notice in advance, so I had mostly cleared my schedule beforehand around the estimated date. But I did have to get 6 other guys who all booked a golf trip with me to move the trip up 1 day so I can finished and go home Sunday night and leave Monday for Germany. All for the price of paying for the flight change and pay for all the booze we drank, which totalled almost $800 by itself. And I had to postpone another trip a week just so I can get back home in time to take care of stuff and pack again.

But to me at least, it's the chance of a life time and I would do it all again in a heart beat, including all the hassles. By most estimates the next hypercars will be in about 10 years and I may or may not be interested in them or I may not even be in a position to drive anymore. Too many variables in the future.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:17 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Sorry to hear about the additional delay. Lets just hope you get your car before the rest of us on the above list.

Well, the 5th order in Canada already overtook me and got delivered already because of the delays.

More funny stuff, I had asked my dealer to prepare the final invoice for me, the answer was he can't!! LOL

He was told to accept payment for the car in US$ but the tax part will be in CAD$, he was like WTF and had to go back to HQ for confirmation. Also, Porsche hasn't priced some of my CXX stuff, the official numbers is still TBD. Hilarious. They had like over 6 months and still can't come up with a number.

And I am already raising hell with them over the latest delay, a separate incident in addition to yours
Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Well, the 5th order in Canada already overtook me and got delivered already because of the delays.

More funny stuff, I had asked my dealer to prepare the final invoice for me, the answer was he can't!! LOL

He was told to accept payment for the car in US$ but the tax part will be in CAD$, he was like WTF and had to go back to HQ for confirmation. Also, Porsche hasn't priced some of my CXX stuff, the official numbers is still TBD. Hilarious. They had like over 6 months and still can't come up with a number.

And I am already raising hell with them over the latest delay, a separate incident in addition to yours
Porsche is being very "Un-Porsche like" with the 918 campaign.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Things are always more complicated then they seem -- just remember that the 918 is a HUGE BARGAIN! And Whoopsy is right -- this is THE CAR for the next decade -- just as the CGT was for the last (and, well for some of us, still is!). Enjoy! So be a little easy on Porsche -- they focus on the car first! The bill? Oh, yeah, right... Much better this way!!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry about this delay Whoops, any reason or is it just logistics......

Out of interest. how many of you in the US are going to take up your option on the 991RS?
Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Apolo1

Out of interest. how many of you in the US are going to take up your option on the 991RS?
Most likely I will take the RS option.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apolo1

Basically it's logistics, nothing major or mechanical or software.

I had already asked for a RS, and interestingly, I didn't get the GT3, not even before the engine replacement.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:25 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Just been informed that my car has safely arrived on Canadian soil as of 3hrs ago. In one piece. It's now in airport bonded storage, Porsche Canada will officially accept the car tomorrow morning.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 AM
heynow
Advanced

Congrats!! Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:22 AM
918man
Racer

Congrats.

Pic.

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it