Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:04 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoopsy

Eduardo may be able to clarify, but that cake is looking suspiciously like Dolphin Grey. Fly you to the UK, put you up in a nice hotel, 5 tasty shortbread biscuits (sorry, "cookies") and then they spoil it all by forgetting the colour of your car...

Enjoy Goodwood. Almost made it this year. Fly to the UK Monday and miss it by 24 hours! :-(
Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Took the car out a little while ago for a track day for charity event, to help raise money for breast cancer awareness.

Ended up auctioning off hot lap rides in the car driven by Kees Nierop.

All for a good cause.
Attached Images        
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 PM
E-Man
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 130 Posts

Great pics!

Thanks for sharing
Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 AM
alvarovazquez12
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a set of mint stock C Gt wheels that I would like to sell at about 50% MSRP. Does anyone know someone who could be interested. I would prefer to sell 1F and 1R wheel and keep two but I am willing to sell the entire set if someone really wants it.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow...what a great thread! As a Cayman owner and absolute enthusiast of the brand, I really appreciate you sharing the ownership experience! Awesome car and great content. Thanks
Old 08-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Not always fun and games. Now the car is sitting at the shop for 3 campaigns.

One is a seat belt bolts inspection, some cars were assembled with the bolts mixed up, so all the cars are being inspected to see if the bolts needed to be reinstalled.

2nd one is to have the rear fuse box resealed. It would seems the factory sealing job wasn't done properly and water might leak into the fuse box.

3rd and last one is a big job. A bolt in the rear ale spindle might rust and break, so the whole rear suspension must be disassembled and take out the drive shaft in order to access that bolt and replace it, 7+hr job.

In a way, all 918 production 918s are just prototypes.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:31 PM
E-Man
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 130 Posts

Again, thank you for sharing ALL of the experience of owning the 918. It's hard to imagine all of the money and resources Porsche has spent on campaigns for this vehicle. Is it true that Porsche must complete all three of these campaigns on all 918s or is it just a smaller run of cars? I'm guessing every 918.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Well some campaigns are VIN specific, they had running updates at the factory so the later cars won't need them. Others are non-VIN specific and that means every single 918 has to be brought in to check, like that seat belt bolt one, as Porsche is not sure which car had the bolts wrong and since when.

My car is early enough that every single campaign involved it
Old 09-27-2016, 07:12 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
In a way, all 918 production 918s are just prototypes.
That's too bad, and perhaps exemplifies the greater effort Porsche seems to be undertaking, to actually bring 918/919 tech to a larger number of its cars.

I saw my first 918, two days ago (and I've seen 904's, 959, 962). It was driving back roads, in metro-Boston and its tail screamed "something exotic" from a full 200yrds away. I caught up to it. Verified. Cool.

I hope Porsche figures out how to make 800 volt power work for the weekend hybrid racer. Does the 918 use it? I can't say production plans make sense. Talk of all-battery Mission E won't matter with 800v, if batteries won't cool or last more than ~40 minutes. The mid-engine, front electric, rear ICE format has become dominant, with NSX perhaps being cheapest (~160k), but Porsche doesn't seem to be laying the ground work for anything cheaper/similar. Their victories come with "effort to define the future of the sports car". A bigger battery in the Panamera Hybrid doesn't do that, no matter how much "like 919" marketing sauce they want to use.

Should I wait until 918s show up in the used market, for ~100k, or when Porsche makes a suitable hybrid? I bet we see a sub-7 minute, front electric Corvette, first.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:03 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local admirer here. I was ahead of you at BBC several months ago on the returning portion of the drive in my 944 S2.. My car's hiding in the background on Soup's picture. Intimidating car to see in my mirrors!! I didn't intend to but I apologise if I slowed you down

I read a lot of what gets usually posted on Rennlist but usually try to only post in my own relevant areas. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing everything with all of us. It means a lot for the rest of us to see you enjoying the car properly. I remember seeing your car during one of our PCA tech nights at Porsche Vancouver several months ago with the engine cover off, underneath the car with all of the scrapes (they might've been fixed by that point, at least remember all the talk). Just so cool. Glad to see someone who gets it.

Last edited by DasSilberWedge; 09-28-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Just spent Monday to Thursday at the track with the 918. Attend the Driving Academy headed by Richard Spenard, then spent some more time learning the track layout.

After the school I had invited Richard to take the car out to do some laps. He did a out, a flying then a in lap. Casually setting the lap record at 2:16:62, short shifting and not really pushing. When he came out he said he can easily have another 4 seconds. But track is green and he doesn't want be known as the one who wrecked a 918 also. haha.

Previous record was a 2:23 by a 675LT, but right now times don't matter, it's a brand new track that no one have experiences with, with green surface, so time will certainly comes down a lot later on. As for comparison, I am a good 18 seconds behind Richard. Still have way more to learn.

For those that will surely asked, the car topped 250km/hr on the back straight with me at the wheel, and cleared 200km/hr on the pit straight and middle straight, those speed will be higher for a more skilled driver that can get a good exit off turns and not chicken out on corner entries. Those speeds are a good 25km/hr higher than any street car that went on the track.

All in, I put on 1500km on the car the last few days, round trip to and from Osoyoos then track miles. Dust and dirt and all.
Attached Images      
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

And the weekend before, I was just in Europe doing a 918 event, driving the Italian Alps. For owners that didn't bring their 918s, Porsche provided 991 Turbo S.

Huge amount of fun. Seeing a train of 20 Porsches flying up the passes is an unbelievable sight.

Started off in Munich, then head to Mecan Italy for 3 nights driving around, then back to Munich for Oktoberfest.
Attached Images             
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Local admirer here. I was ahead of you at BBC several months ago on the returning portion of the drive in my 944 S2.. My car's hiding in the background on Soup's picture. Intimidating car to see in my mirrors!! I didn't intend to but I apologise if I slowed you down

I read a lot of what gets usually posted on Rennlist but usually try to only post in my own relevant areas. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing everything with all of us. It means a lot for the rest of us to see you enjoying the car properly. I remember seeing your car during one of our PCA tech nights at Porsche Vancouver several months ago with the engine cover off, underneath the car with all of the scrapes (they might've been fixed by that point, at least remember all the talk). Just so cool. Glad to see someone who gets it.

Yes I remembered you, not many shows up with a 944!

Nah, the scraps are battle scars, I wear them proudly. After the last few days there should be more, construction zone on Hwy 3 and I had to drive off road in the 918, scrapping the air deflectors some more. The car cleared 6000km already, and the next car only just cleared 1000km.

Next week I am putting on winter tires on the 918 so I can head back to the track in October to try out my GT4 ClubSport, which is scheduled to arrive very soon.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:35 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wogamax
That's too bad, and perhaps exemplifies the greater effort Porsche seems to be undertaking, to actually bring 918/919 tech to a larger number of its cars.

I saw my first 918, two days ago (and I've seen 904's, 959, 962). It was driving back roads, in metro-Boston and its tail screamed "something exotic" from a full 200yrds away. I caught up to it. Verified. Cool.

I hope Porsche figures out how to make 800 volt power work for the weekend hybrid racer. Does the 918 use it? I can't say production plans make sense. Talk of all-battery Mission E won't matter with 800v, if batteries won't cool or last more than ~40 minutes. The mid-engine, front electric, rear ICE format has become dominant, with NSX perhaps being cheapest (~160k), but Porsche doesn't seem to be laying the ground work for anything cheaper/similar. Their victories come with "effort to define the future of the sports car". A bigger battery in the Panamera Hybrid doesn't do that, no matter how much "like 919" marketing sauce they want to use.

Should I wait until 918s show up in the used market, for ~100k, or when Porsche makes a suitable hybrid? I bet we see a sub-7 minute, front electric Corvette, first.

918 was still on the 400V system, Porsche is still testing out the 800V for the Mission E as we speak.

Pure electric is cool, but it doesn't last, technology isn't there yet, I can rip launch control all day in the 918 or a Turbo S or a RS or any Porsche and they would not protest, but how many times can a Tesla do in a row?

And once the battery is depleted, there is a long wait to get it charged up, and I don't think Tesla or anyone else is gonna put Superchargers on track side. Even that takes a long time.

Most manufacturers are doing hybrids wrong, crippling the car with a pathetic gas engine. They should have copied the 918 formula, putting performance first, not fuel economy. A performance engine is a gas guzzler, and putting a hybrid in it means one can keep the performance (or add more with the e-motor's help), but also save fuel when high performance is not needed, like how I can drive the 918 in e-mode in town then rip it once traffic clears.

BTW, the incoming Panamera Turbo S will be a PHEV, just like the new Panamera 4 Hybrid, but it will have the Turbo's V8.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:25 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Yes I remembered you, not many shows up with a 944!

Nah, the scraps are battle scars, I wear them proudly. After the last few days there should be more, construction zone on Hwy 3 and I had to drive off road in the 918, scrapping the air deflectors some more. The car cleared 6000km already, and the next car only just cleared 1000km.

Next week I am putting on winter tires on the 918 so I can head back to the track in October to try out my GT4 ClubSport, which is scheduled to arrive very soon.
Yes, we're the exclusive ones!

As you should! Porsche's are meant to be driven.. I've had my fair shares of off road excursions going to visit family in the interior too, especially last year with the forest fires. Got some pretty funny looks driving down a dirt/gravel road in a Porsche!

I saw that post about the Clubsport too, should be a total blast around that circuit. Congrats on securing one!

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it