Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 504 Posts

Day 3.

Starting off at the Beverly Hills Hotel, we headed to the Petersen Museum for a private tour of the vault. Then a light lunch at the Museum before continue north towards Santa Barbara.

There are some impressive cars at the vault but no pictures for obvious reasons.

Porsche had a nice surprise for us, they had commissioned a local LA graffiti artist named James Haunt to do some artwork for each of us, including the spouses that came along. And also one much bigger piece that I suspect will be going to the PEC LA. As I have a black car, my piece was of a black 918
Attached Images     
Old 11-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

At Santa Barbara, we stayed in the Belmond Hotel and got shuttled into town to have a wine tasting dinner at Bouchon Restaurant.

It was definitely a proper wine tasting feast as at the end of the night there are like more than 150 glasses on the table for the 13 of us. I didn't have a pic but pretty sure another owner in here has one.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:20 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow - good stuff. Keep it coming!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Day 4, from Santa Barbara to Big Sur at the Ventana Inn.

Initially the plan was to visit the Hearst Castle. But some of us prefer driving and the road condition was perfect, weather is nice and not much traffic, so the group got split into 2, one do the visit and the other just drive. And drive we did. We passed the hotel and basically drove all the way to almost Monterey before doubling back.

Fantastic drive up PCH.
Attached Images       
Old 11-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Day 5, from Big Sur to San Francisco. We started off a bit earlier than normal just to beat the traffic. Just so we can get to the hotel in time to dump our cars and luggages and get on a shuttle to fly right back into Long Beach to have our day at the PEC. More on that later.

The weather opens up and it started raining, the sunny driving was over. This being California, people are clueless on what to do when it rains. And a couple accidents on route RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!

Anyway, everyone got to Fairmont San Francisco safely in miserable weather. Porsche initially had arranged all of us to get on one private jet, but plans always changes and it did. So we fly off in 2 jets from different airports.

Being the idiots that we were, on the plane we figured there was nothing to do, so we were playing AirDrop with our pictures, until we discovered there was Wifi onboard....................

We had a blast doing the Porsche Experience at PEC LA, and to finish it off we had dinner at the onsite restaurant 917, before heading to the airport and fly back to SF.

At 917 they even had the butter in 911 shape!

Back in SF we also met up with another 918 owner from the Bay Area, he can't quite make the trip but we had drinks in the hotel lobby instead, another owner from the Bay Area can't make it but oh well, next time.
Attached Images         
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Day 6, departing day.

Some owners are staying behind for a few days more to explore the city. One owner who was from Orange County was smart, he took off to home after the Porsche dinner at PEC LA. 2 of the 918s got loaded onto transport to be shipped out, leaving another LA owner and myself to drive back as I am staying in LA for a couple days to visit family. This is the ironic part, we departed LA to drive to SF, only to fly right back to LA and then fly back to SF just to collect our cars to drive all the way back to LA.

So do we do on the boring drive down I5? Taking pictures haha.

And we got spotted by car spotters right outside the hotel too.

Man, I do not want to live in SF and drive the 918, those sloppy roads are horrible. And thank god we are not in a CGT.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:35 AM
Awdnut
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Some more pics from the 918 Spyder Drive

Old 11-26-2016, 03:32 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 385 Posts

Awesome pictures guys!!!
Old 11-28-2016, 02:16 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

last time i drove the PCH from LA to SantaCruz was on a KTM RC8R. just got remembered what a nice ride it was.

thank you Whoopsy for the post / for the good read!
you enjoy the 918 experience outright! thank you for giving us a ride.
love this thread!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:18 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

During one of the canyon runs we did in the LA area, I managed to ran over a rock, I heard the crush sound and knows something expensive has to be broken.

My car got back to Vancouver Friday and today it went up on a hoist at the dealership for an inspection.

One of the carbon turning vane was crumpling from the impact and needed to be replaced.

But that's not all. The rock also managed to puncture one of the panels, actually the largest one underneath, replacement cost? Over 20k!

On top of that, I had the check engine light on after the trip and upon diagnostics, it was a 'blocked radiator fan', translation, pebbles are caught on the fan motor.

Oh well, all part of the experience of actually driving the 918 instead of parking it in a warehouse somewhere.
Attached Images    
Old 11-29-2016, 11:03 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Oh well, all part of the experience of actually driving the 918 instead of parking it in a warehouse somewhere.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:15 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

the other side of the 918 experience.

i remember a 918 in Salzburg for service which had a stone chip on the windscreen - the service guy told me to guess how much it is: i said: new windscreen = 7k?
no. 16k€.
the insurance retention was 5% but minimum 18k€

doesn´t matter if a BMW 3 series, Ferrari 488, 918 or a 200ft aka 100m$ yacht - without market fantasy it comes down to 5-10% of the original price each year for using / having it.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:31 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Well I had a more thorough inspection of the damage. Seems like the turning vane and the underbody tray can be repaired instead of replaced.

I am not that OCD so I don't mind having them repaired. Only my mechanic can see them anyway.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:33 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Here is the panel in question.

Don't mind the dirt. That was the dust from the time when I had the car on my track for 3 days straight.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2016, 05:51 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

^^ and here we see a cover which you could trade in for a brand new Mustang (or two Dacia Logan as we say in EU)

I´ve made last days at a fair here in Denmark a new friend from Saskatoon. He told me about two 918 in Gulf ... One owned by the Porsche dealer https://twitter.com/PorscheSask and the other one is a friend of him. clear. Man driving the same cars are always friends

Whats that for a funny story? Buy two pay for one? Hopefully both cars are still in Saskatoon?
EDIT: of course RL knows everything: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ulf-918-a.html

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it