Sponsored by:

960: The Next Supercar from Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:55 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Added 960 to this forum - perhaps in time it will need its own ...

Best,
Why would you add it to this Forum if its not going to be a Supercar?
It should be slotted in with 997, 991, etc...
Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
A 960 that forgoes electrical/hybrid crap, has a carbon monocoque tub, a normally aspirated flat 8 with 575-625 HP, 3000 lb. weight, and, costs roughly $300,000 or so will sell like hot cakes, destroy the value of the 918, compromise the reign of the 911 and eat Ferraris for lunch. I would buy one in an instant. I seriously doubt Porsche will do it. They plod in painfully incremental and measured steps. They do not do revolutionary other than in once per decade super cars serving as technological tour de force demonstrations. Call me a skeptic.....but I will be first in line if I am wrong....which I hope I am.
Couldnt agree more..

But since the 960 is now added here with the 918, C-GT..are we so sure it will be build?..Im still not so sure...I know that they are testing certain things..but it wouldnt be the first time a car doesnt make it at Porsche. I remember two-three years ago..people were sure there would be a "baby boxster"..boxster below boxster..didnt happen..

4 wheel drive 960?..not so convinced about that ..but thanks to wtdoom and his information..
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If they make it, the question really becomes:

Will it be a better, faster 911 Turbo (Grand Tourer), or better faster GT3/RS (Track Rat)?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Hey Bob, sorry to be overly pedantic, but could you please put a space after the comma after 918? (I.e. "918, 960" and not as it is now, "918,960".) Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus

Will it be a better, faster 911 Turbo (Grand Tourer), or better faster GT3/RS (Track Rat)?
I would bet more GT oriented in the base vehicle so that it has wider audience appeal, but with solid bones that can be refined for a sharper, lighter iteration for the inevitable $70,000 up charge for the "Nurburgring Package". If.....
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a direct 458 competitor , expect an equivalent to an rs version too .
Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wtdoom
It's a direct 458 competitor , expect an equivalent to an rs version too .
The funny thing is the GT3 is already a direct 458 competitor whether that is official or not.

Makes one wonder how much better a 960 would be than the 458, 12C or their replacements. Perhaps the 960 would play more in the market segment of the previous CGT, or the Aventador in the $300-400K range.

My statement was more in the context of whether the 960 will be a lighter rear-wheel drive platform with an atmospheric high-revving NA engine, or an all-wheel drive (heavier) car with an engine that is turbocharged.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Why the need of a 960?

If they make it, the question really becomes: Will it be a better, faster 911 Turbo (Grand Tourer), or better faster GT3/RS (Track Rat)?
Yes and Yes!

The funny thing is the GT3 is already a direct 458 competitor whether that is official or not.

Makes one wonder how much better a 960 would be than the 458, 12C or their replacements. Perhaps the 960 would play more in the market segment of the previous CGT, or the Aventador in the $300-400K range.

My statement was more in the context of whether the 960 will be a lighter rear-wheel drive platform with an atmospheric high-revving NA engine, or an all-wheel drive (heavier) car with an engine that is turbocharged.
Originally Posted by Polesitter
A 960 that forgoes electrical/hybrid crap, has a carbon monocoque tub, a normally aspirated flat 8 with 575-625 HP, 3000 lb. weight, and, costs roughly $300,000 or so will sell like hot cakes, destroy the value of the 918, compromise the reign of the 911 and eat Ferraris for lunch. I would buy one in an instant. I seriously doubt Porsche will do it. They plod in painfully incremental and measured steps. They do not do revolutionary other than in once per decade super cars serving as technological tour de force demonstrations. Call me a skeptic.....but I will be first in line if I am wrong....which I hope I am.
Gents: The 800 lb Gorilla sitting in the corner of this discussion is the 'ghost' re: the former prowess of the 911- based gt3 derivates in competition racing - Cup, R, RS, RSR, GT America! See the attached photos I took of the Porsches at 24 Heures du Mans in 2011. What a beautiful sight that was! And these were the waning years of the Porsche 911 historic races at the Circuit de la Sarthe!

Today, the important & key privateers are deserting Porsche because their current 911-based racing models are not perceived as 'competitive' and development work on these models has (for all practical purposes) stopped! You guys remember 'Flying Lizards Motorsports' or 'TRG'/Kevin Buckler*? These folks are now driving Audi R8 LMS and Aston Martins! The answer to Porsche Motorsports' current dilemma will be the 960 & its racing derivates! That is why there is no question in my mind that the 960 (or an equivalent mid-engine platform with another project number) will be produced....and fast! And it will come not a moment too soon!

*Was at a recent dinner with Kevin in Carmel Valley on the occasion of Dominic Dobson's 'Speed Days' at Laguna Seca: http://www.dobsonmotorsport.com/
Kevin also makes a great wine at 'Adobe Road Winery'. http://www.adoberoadwines.com/

Will the 960 be all wheel drive? Yes, especially for production series. I don't think we will see another production high hp/high torque Porsche without all wheel drive! Too many lawyers/ambulance chasers (especially in the US) for Porsche not to offer AWD plus all the 'nannies' (Traction & Stability) in all future high HP production vehicles! But the 960 might be modified to real wheel drive in certain models to meet requirement of a specific racing series (The FIA & Automobile Club de l'Ouest merger of Group GT3 with LM GTE to form GT & GT+ categories). Let's see where these categories end up requiring of the auto manufacturers!

Will the 960 be NA or Turbo? We will see. wtdoom has given us some recent feedback on the subject directly from sources at PAG. Personally, I think it will be turbo-charged to satisfy tough Cycle 6 European emissions.

Originally Posted by JustinS
Why would you add it to this Forum if its not going to be a Supercar? It should be slotted in with 997, 991, etc...
Supercar or everyday production vehicle? Word games & semantics. To those that can afford a 918 (or the CGT almost 10 years ago!), these vehicles are not 'supercars' but mere 'drivers'. Why get hung up with these silly definitions? In time, the 960 will be deserving of its own specific forum simply because there will be enough interest and information available that it will deserve its own dedicated 'space' here at Rennlist.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

Do you think when the 960 arrives the Carrera GT will drop in price?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by racer959
Definitely not , CGT only going one way now .
Old 01-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Who are you asking? Personally, I don't think the arrival of the 960 will have much effect on Carrera GT prices. I also don't think it will effect that much the prices of used 918 Spyders (at that time). Different market segment buyers for each of these limited production 'halo' cars.

The new 960, however, will effect negatively on the prices of used 991 gt3 and gt3 RS! The earlier .2 997 gt3/RS (especially the 4.0 LE), which are currently living under an abnormal price 'bubble' due to the current 'last of the manuals' market phenomenom, will eventually settled down to a more 'normal' depreciated price range as the 'age' of its technology sinks in buyer's minds, especially when compared to what the 960 will offer at the track! My dos centavos, for what it's worth. And I been wrong before. My wife seems to remind me of that just about everyday...in fact, several times a day!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Eduardo, between you & wtdoom, I am beginning to think that a 960 is indeed in the cards! And that it may be turbocharged. Hmm...

Now, who do we write, call or email (bribe) at Porsche headquarters?

I need to suggest, no CONVINCE them to use that incredible V8 from the 918. Then add twin turbos. Massive torque with horsepower in the 750-800 range. Done. Hey, if McLaren can get 727 bhp from a 3.8L V8 why can't Porsche get a bit more from an additional .8L displacement? Especially with a 9,150rpm rev limit. What of a 9,500rpm rev limit with turbos? Turbos don't detract from the rpm limit of an engine, I think.

Also, McLaren & Mercedes are great at making their twin turbo V8's sound better than all but the best NA engines.

Then the question becomes: AWD, or RWD. Somehow, the P1 and LaF are getting 900+bhp to the ground through the rear wheels. Barely. But it leaves hope for a (non-hybrid 918, P1, LaF, 458 Speciale) Porsche engineered supercar for we fans of the brand in the future!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Mercs sound MUCH better than 12c / p1 imho .
there will be a 960 , engine still between twin turbo v8 and modified 918 lump ( ala 599/enzo ).

Have faith oh mighty Zeus . If this is not so the strike me down with a thunderbolt !
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 PM
JS
Race Car

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Definitely not , CGT only going one way now .
Exactly.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 PM
JS
Race Car

The 960 will be nothing like the CGT, should have zero impact on values.

Quick Reply: 960: The Next Supercar from Porsche?