Sponsored by:

Major service and Sachs Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bojali
I went to visit mine in its major service mode. Apparently all the techs know (of) each other. Matt your tech in NZ use to work here with my tech in Monterey CA. and your car looks nice!

we found my coolant tank had a leak, and left its mark on the front of the engine. when I get all my crappy pictures transferred I will send a link.
Bojali: From your description of your car in your posts here on this Rennlist thread, it looks like the Carrera GT for service at 'Porsche of Monterey' might be yours. By coincidence, I took photos of it this morning. I hope you are OK with these photos of your beautiful car during its service. If not, let me know and I will delete them.

Indeed all the experienced Porsche techs working on Carrera GT's in many parts of this country know each other and communicate among themselves. My friend Doug is having a major service on his Carrera GT as we speak at the Porsche dealership in Reno and they are also in touch with the techs here at Porsche of Monterey. And the latter, especially Service Foreman Paul Saavedra, seem pretty knowledgeable & enthusiastic about their craft! Same goes for techs Daniel Ornelas Lee and Jeremiah Low!

The evidence of the coolant leak is the 'pink' coloration on front of the engine in photo #4. That will be cleaned up shortly and the defective coolant tank is being replaced with a brand new one! The 'nuts' on photo #10 show the smaller, lightweight titanium ones used on the Carrera GT (smallest on the left of my hand) versus others bigger ones used in the 997 & others Porsche models! There is about one week's worth of work left to do on the service of this particular Carrera GT. The massive amount of 'dismantling' necessary in the service of one of these cars is simply amazing! And it allows one to examine, up close and personal, many of the parts that makes this model so unique & rare in Porschedom! To a sports car enthusiast, seeing a Carrera GT in this fashion is a highly educational & memorable experience that will not be soon forgotten!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images                
Old 12-14-2013, 03:09 AM
79 911SC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic but I saw another one with the engine out today. This was at Palm Desert Porsche. Sorry for the crappy picture, it was behind a window.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:02 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I love the rear bumper on the garbage can. If you don't mind me asking......how much was the service?
the major is ~13k. i have a few things to fix so I am at 16k. i don't have the detailed breakdown though. these are estimates.

there is no question this car is really expensive to maintain. part of it comes from not using it enough.

i feel it every year. hopefully after this major service i will be tip top for a few years.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:07 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts

Some of you guys are lucky if you put on a 1,000 miles a year. I know you don't abuse them. What could possibly go wrong? It don't make sense to me.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Eduardo: yep that's my 05. Thanks for the pictures, yours are much better than mine! I will bring a real camera next week, not a iphone..

The Techs all talk and swap pictures, I have seen the Reno, NV car (Doug) and NZ (Matt) and know whats going on, new clutch, oil leak, shock/lift etc etc!

With the traffic through the shop I told the service manager he should start charging for viewing to help pay for the service! ;^))

Service cost is a function of type, minor or major. l would assume that the basic cost is about the same for a minor service. Majors are $$ no matter. jim

Last edited by bojali; 12-14-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Anthony_Vince
Advanced

Originally Posted by superquant
the major is ~13k. i have a few things to fix so I am at 16k. i don't have the detailed breakdown though. these are estimates.

there is no question this car is really expensive to maintain. part of it comes from not using it enough.

i feel it every year. hopefully after this major service i will be tip top for a few years.
Great pictures by the way, will be good to hear from you as to how she drives after all the work is done.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bojali
Eduardo: yep that's my 05. Thanks for the pictures, yours are much better than mine!...With the traffic through the shop I told the service manager he should start charging for viewing to help pay for the service! jim
Jim: They DID charged me $250 for the tour! If you don't see that amount credited on your total service bill next week at 'Porsche of Monterey', please contact PCNA and file an official complaint!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 12-15-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:46 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Here is a photo of the coolant tank. (980.106.151.03) it developed a crack on the seam.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bojali; 12-16-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: resize photo.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Well...... I have just got off the phone with my Porsche dealer in NZ. It appears that my clutch only has 30% life left in it so I am likely up for the full engine out service etc AND a new clutch. The first price on the genuine Porsche clutch in NZ Dollars is $32,000 which is somewhat alarming!

I have only driven about 300Km since buying the car (car has done 3,000 Km) and I have religiously made sure to never us the accelerator when taking off. therefore I can only assume that a previous owner (there have been 2) must have driven the car incorrectly.

If anyone has further information on the Sachs clutch or alternate options I would really appreciate some information... please!

Also - for those that have replaced a clutch - what is the best option for drivability moving forwards?

It's 9am here so I think the best option is to have a stiff drink now.

Cheers,
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
Good idea, mate. I would recommend you try some Ardbeg 'Uigeadail'!

Best of luck with the clutch...perhaps you can get one shipped from here where they are cheaper!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
Well...... I have just got off the phone with my Porsche dealer in NZ. It appears that my clutch only has 30% life left in it so I am likely up for the full engine out service etc AND a new clutch. The first price on the genuine Porsche clutch in NZ Dollars is $32,000 which is somewhat alarming!

I have only driven about 300Km since buying the car (car has done 3,000 Km) and I have religiously made sure to never us the accelerator when taking off. therefore I can only assume that a previous owner (there have been 2) must have driven the car incorrectly.

If anyone has further information on the Sachs clutch or alternate options I would really appreciate some information... please!

Also - for those that have replaced a clutch - what is the best option for drivability moving forwards?

Cheers,
the porsche clutch is longest lasting , mines almost the same after 20 000 miles
hard and town use
Old 12-16-2013, 11:46 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Matt, you should consider taking a trip, after that drink, and buy all your parts for the major. Your dealer quoted cost is 2x what a new one is in USD! I will PM you
I will start by adding a link to the photos on this and the last major services.

this years major: https://plus.google.com/photos/11645...94847078996401

so far the clutch is @ 29.5mm no slipping just the gearbox getting the ring work. (W735)
coils are ok not cracked, one had a bit of color to it < coils should be updated to 05's or later Cayenne units, there are some "new" CGT coils but $$
cams and valves are good, no adjustments needed !! ya!!
leak in the coolant tank, new, seam cracked.
no leaks in the power steering lines. < previous major service found leak
will check shocks once the car is back down. < previous major service found leaks, see archives
reset sway bar to soft setting, currently in the middle. < will give it a try and see, but new Super Sports going on so that will also be a change..
will replace the battery, this one is about 2-3 years old, since its opened up. looking at red top Optima for the next 4 years. Shorai Lithium doesn't seem to have the CCA's yet..

cost is "reasonable" considering its once every 4 years that it gets this type of work. so $/4years= :^) close to my 993 and other yearly p-car costs.

Last edited by bojali; 12-17-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: keep in subject
Old 12-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wtdoom

the porsche clutch is longest lasting , mines almost the same after 20 000 miles
hard and town use
What are the tips to saving the clutch?
I'm aware of no throttle when going into first gear...what else?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:06 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are great
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Time for an update. My CGT is still at the dealer waiting to get things all finalised. The clutch measured 29.3mm which I am told is 70% worn. Can anyone let me know what the measurement for 100% and 0% is??

Porsche NZ has come to the party on the clutch price and it's close to the US price now so that is good news. My Porsche dealer is very good to deal with, but unfortunately can only order parts from Porsche NZ, so if I want to save a few $$$$ I can order parts myself, however the savings won't be that great.

We should have all pricing finalised today and then if all stacks up I will likely go ahead with the clutch replacement. However, if anyone has the 100% and 0% measurements I would be appreciative so I can work out if 29.3mm is actually the right time to replace the clutch.

bojali - thanks for all your PM's, emails and info. You are a great source of information and advice and I very much appreciate it.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Major service and Sachs Clutch