Sponsored by:

Considering 918 Order

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 PM
thebigmboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering 918 Order

My father is considering a 918 order but we are concerned about putting up a $200,000.00 non refundable deposit and not getting our car built until early 2015. At this point the cars could have taken a hit on the used market as many have been delivered worldwide and we would be forced to buy a car at sticker.

Also if we do place an order should we be concerned about purchasing a base car without the weissach package or any of the other exorbitantly overpriced options?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigmboy
My father is considering a 918 order but we are concerned about putting up a $200,000.00 non refundable deposit and not getting our car built until early 2015. At this point the cars could have taken a hit on the used market as many have been delivered worldwide and we would be forced to buy a car at sticker.

Also if we do place an order should we be concerned about purchasing a base car without the weissach package or any of the other exorbitantly overpriced options?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
My understanding now is that the $200K deposit is refundable until such time as your car is scheduled for production. Naturally, they would need to have a definite commitment from the buyer before a car is built to his/hers specifications. But I would double check that with Daniel Eastman, the 918 Client Relationship Manager at Porsche Cars North America.

The scenario you described holds true for every model from Porsche or any other automaker. If you think the car has a chance of going down in value within the first year of production, I would suggest to your father not to buy new and wait to see what happens in the used market!

There are certain 'benefits' to being a first buyer of the 918 from Porsche. The following was posted at another website (6 Speed) by Rossii about a conversation he had with Daniel Eastman in June of this year:

"Besides the car itself he talked about Porsche's VIP program for 918. For those who buy and keep the car for 6 months have first right of refusal for any new car for 3 years. For 3 years they will have 10 years. This includes specialty cars and even GT Cup cars if they want. They have sold 50 GT3's in a 24hr period with this program. They will also have access to very exclusive events. This will only be available to the first owners."

So 918 initial ownership does have its privileges!

In my opinion, the 'Weissach Package' model is the one to get. This will be the more valuable and collectable model in the future. The same has been true for every lightweight & race-ready production car Porsche has offered in its history (e.g. the ROW MY1973 911 RS).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta tell ya that shot angle looks like an R8. Just MHO.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:45 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

In my opinion, the 'Weissach Package' model is the one to get.
Agreed! But would also want t order it with a PTS color. Can always have a wrap created with an iconic Porsche livery for special occasions!

I can dream - can't I ?!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

it's an emotional decision, not a financial decision. If he can and wants he should.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 538 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
I gotta tell ya that shot angle looks like an R8. Just MHO.
Not one bit.

Quick Reply: Considering 918 Order