Sponsored by:

CGT Prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 05:30 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Collectors love bragging rights - drivers love odometer rights.

My ODO is no longer collector grade and I intend on keeping it that way

So many common silver comments come from non owners - in the long run color won't matter inasmuch as history.
Look at Daytonas and Miuras. Its not color nor miles that matter. It would surely be condition that would dictate the values down the line. Of course that's just my opinion.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT000
Look at Daytonas and Miuras. Its not color nor miles that matter. It would surely be condition that would dictate the values down the line. Of course that's just my opinion.
The other key issues are supply and demand of course. Supply is known. Demand is very hard to predict. I recently sold a very rare, 1 of 6 race car from a well known 1960s car manufacturer with a race team. The going rate: about half the price of a street car from the same make (around 1,000 produced). (So I probably won't buy classic race cars expecting a profit again...)

Another surprise, at least for me, is the current pricing on Ford GTs. They've made thousands of them, they are roughly the same age as the CGT, and they fetch at least 2x MSRP.

With the Ford GT, demand is clearly the driver. The question is, why? It is a cool car. But cooler than a CGT? Not to me... but apparently I'm in the minority.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer

With the Ford GT, demand is clearly the driver. The question is, why? It is a cool car. But cooler than a CGT? Not to me... but apparently I'm in the minority.
I have never driven the Ford so I defer the answer to those who own it but maybe the reason for Ford's demand is because its easier to drive compared to the CGT or maybe it's because the Ford wouldn't fishtail like a CGT when you punch it in 3rd gear!!! causing one's heart to stop beating for a good 10 seconds.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT000
I have never driven the Ford so I defer the answer to those who own it but maybe the reason for Ford's demand is because its easier to drive compared to the CGT or maybe it's because the Ford wouldn't fishtail like a CGT when you punch it in 3rd gear!!! causing one's heart to stop beating for a good 10 seconds.
I entered a Ford 6 years ago whacked my head and the door swung open a long way.

Left the dealer with a CL65 one went down 100 the other went up 100 and my wife said get the Ford and to this day she still says get the Ford. I am guaranteed the new one if it's produced... fingers crossed.

The 3rd gear of the CGT is wicked - love it
Old 12-26-2014, 04:13 AM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've heard from owners the FGT is also a very difficult car to drive at the limit. It doesn't have traction control and is also prone to oversteer.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:34 PM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak3249
From what I've heard from owners the FGT is also a very difficult car to drive at the limit. It doesn't have traction control and is also prone to oversteer.
Not so. I have 50k miles of seat time in a FGT including numerous track days. Car handles very neutral. In street trim (alignment) it tends to push if anything at all. The CGT is much less forgiving at the limit. The key with both cars are gradual throttle inputs to keep things planted. Your R foot is your traction control and active handling.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:03 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had my FGT for 3 years and it is very different but highly complementary driving experience to the CGT. The car is extremely friendly in all driving modes and with the appropriate modern tires it handles with no surprises. It also has a universal appeal about it which I think contributes to the demand. Many more potential buyers for it than the CGT .. Combination of drop dead gorgeous design, versatility, performance and no frills / timelessness. Tellingly my wife says it's her favorite car and must never be sold .. She doesn't care either way for my other machines!

I had both my CGT and FGT on track same day same conditions at monticello and I was much more comfortable going faster with the FGT, and it was damp too!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:38 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by superquant
I've had my FGT for 3 years and it is very different but highly complementary driving experience to the CGT. The car is extremely friendly in all driving modes and with the appropriate modern tires it handles with no surprises. It also has a universal appeal about it which I think contributes to the demand. Many more potential buyers for it than the CGT .. Combination of drop dead gorgeous design, versatility, performance and no frills / timelessness. Tellingly my wife says it's her favorite car and must never be sold .. She doesn't care either way for my other machines!

I had both my CGT and FGT on track same day same conditions at monticello and I was much more comfortable going faster with the FGT, and it was damp too!
CGT 100+ more hp and close to 500 lb.s less. CGT is better balanced better brakes along with shifter is inches vs feet away from the wheel last but not least an sway bar adjustment - softer settings less twitchy.

Any comparison in track times to determine "faster" - my guess if you were going 8/10 9/10 th's - things simply happen much faster in the CGT.

If you had an even faster / raw car then went to the CGT it would be like going from the CGT to the Ford it's all relative - just my thoughts.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 12-26-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:53 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak3249
FWIW, I've driven my FGT about 15,000 miles, on a few race tracks, in cities, in the country side, 200 mph on air strip etc... I personally find it really easy to drive well, and reasonably fast, and I'm a novice. Of course, I have a healthy bit of fear and paranoia, so I am quite careful and don't disobey basic laws of physics.

With some basic tuning and mods (mine has a Whipple supercharger in place of the stock supercharger), it puts out approx 740 rWHP. That's about 200 hp more than the CGT. With its massive low end torque, it is an animal. The FGT's balance, suspension and brakes are top notch. I think at high speed, it is much tighter than a 458 or R8. Also, for folks in need of a bit more space (I'm 6'5"), the FGT is quite a bit more roomier than a CGT.

I like the fact that many folks modify and tweak their FGTs, making for a fun community of gear heads. In contrast, most folks don't seem to touch their CGTs too much.

The CGT and FGT really compliment each other beautifully.

I think one reason the FGT is appreciating in price so much is it was quite underpriced IMHO when new for what it is. I think the design is one of the most timeless I've seen of any cars. With MSRPs of $150-168k +/-, it is a heck of a lot of car. Easier than many to work on and parts aren't too obscene in price....yet. A good no stories FGT is probably $250-275k, depending. In contrast, a good CGT is ??? $550-600 (I don't know)
Old 12-26-2014, 07:01 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

04 CGT for sale at Beverly Hills Porsche, $500k:

http://www.beverlyhillsporsche.com/u...cd1d45a7de.htm

Last edited by porsche0nut; 12-26-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 PM
absent
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I don't know why I still torture myself and follow these CGT threads.
I sold mine and almost immediately realized that was the stupidest decision I have made.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:29 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by FLGT
FWIW, I've driven my FGT about 15,000 miles, on a few race tracks, in cities, in the country side, 200 mph on air strip etc... I personally find it really easy to drive well, and reasonably fast, and I'm a novice. Of course, I have a healthy bit of fear and paranoia, so I am quite careful and don't disobey basic laws of physics.

With some basic tuning and mods (mine has a Whipple supercharger in place of the stock supercharger), it puts out approx 740 rWHP. That's about 200 hp more than the CGT. With its massive low end torque, it is an animal. The FGT's balance, suspension and brakes are top notch. I think at high speed, it is much tighter than a 458 or R8. Also, for folks in need of a bit more space (I'm 6'5"), the FGT is quite a bit more roomier than a CGT.

I like the fact that many folks modify and tweak their FGTs, making for a fun community of gear heads. In contrast, most folks don't seem to touch their CGTs too much.

The CGT and FGT really compliment each other beautifully.

I think one reason the FGT is appreciating in price so much is it was quite underpriced IMHO when new for what it is. I think the design is one of the most timeless I've seen of any cars. With MSRPs of $150-168k +/-, it is a heck of a lot of car. Easier than many to work on and parts aren't too obscene in price....yet. A good no stories FGT is probably $250-275k, depending. In contrast, a good CGT is ??? $550-600 (I don't know)
Good to see you guys enjoying your cars.

Superqaunt and you deserve a lot of credit.

Problem is in order to know the cars limits it must be pushed passed the limit and that's a tough concept in a street car.

Ford did one heck of a job and made a nice profit - I believe Porsche did far better but lost both financially and their buyers simply weren't qualified to drive a CGT.

The 918 is Porsches response - easy to drive and comfortable but has the potential to perform with perfection.

So many low mileage examples 10 years later - very far from the norm of Porsche.

Flip side drivers feel like a g-d
Old 12-27-2014, 11:37 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Who wouldn't feel like a g-d when your chariot screams this sort of tune. Heavenly....

This white CGT is the same one in Brasil (may not be there anymore) that went 216mph in a youtube video.

Its the downshifts, and the howl at the top end that gets me everytime.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Stop posting video and audio clips with CGT exhaust sounds. It makes me want to run out and spend money without doing my due diligence and at least making sure I get one that is in good condition.

Originally Posted by cgt04115
Exhaust Music - Porsche Carrera GT - YouTube

Who wouldn't feel like a g-d when your chariot screams this sort of tune. Heavenly....

This white CGT is the same one in Brasil (may not be there anymore) that went 216mph in a youtube video.

Its the downshifts, and the howl at the top end that gets me everytime.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:25 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Stop posting video and audio clips with CGT exhaust sounds. It makes me want to run out and spend money without doing my due diligence and at least making sure I get one that is in good condition.
Stock exhaust - none better.

Grab one - what other car can you buy / drive that won't depreciate let alone feel like a g-d

Quick Reply: CGT Prices