Sponsored by:

918 road show not what it seems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon
My test laps in the 918 is new territory for me, and I was lucky enough to have the factory trained instructor (Nick ) get me in the know, all within a 20 minute stint. Still with basic 918 knowledge, this car is totally non comparable to any Porsche I have ever spiritedly driven. Your only connection to an analog type of high performance road race car is if you hit "M" on the lower left of the 918 steering wheel. This takes the pdk out of the auto mode and puts you in charge of shifting via paddles. I've driven all sorts of Porsches, single +twin turbos, n/a, engines in the middle, front + rear.The 918 experience is unlike anything I have ever strapped into...but compared to the CGT ? Perhaps Eduardo will chime in here.
Marty
We got Cass Whitehead, the lead instructor of the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber Motorsports Parkway in Leeds, Alabama. I have known Cass for a number of years and he was instrumental in getting me interested in the MY2012 Boxster Spyder that I custom ordered in 2011. Back in 2010 he told me that of all the Porsche cars he had access in the school at Barber, the only one he actually considered investing his own money was on the Boxster Spyder! He thought it was that good and exceptional. And there was no Porsche ongoing effort to market that particular model. On Thursday, Cass spoke very highly of this 918 Spyder. He specifically mentioned that compared to Porsche's last 'super' car, the Carrera GT, this 918 Spyder could be used on an everyday basis. But keep in mind that this '918 Test Drive' event was a 'sell' exercise. All of the instructors & minders in attendance were there to either PROMOTE the purchase of the 918 to prospective buyers or to REINFORCE the decision of those at the event already with $200K deposits on the car! That was their job and we all understood that. So we need to take all of this with a grain of salt. More when I write my report on what I observed at the event.

As Marty says, the 918 feels/drives unlike anything most of us have driven, unless you are a professional race car driver! It has incredible road holding, without the associated harshness of a dedicated race car. The 918 made the Hybrid Panamera feel totally inadequate in handling & comfort on that same course, even though the Pana was rolling at a much slower pace. But here is one of the most important things you should know. The 918 is LOUD when the gasoline engine engages. Let me repeat that. It is LOUD when the gas pedal is pushed hard! So regardless that your butt meter feels extremely comfortable in the 'bucket seats' when you are at the wheel driving this car at these amazing speeds, both in straights & turns, the noise of that engine at full throttle is truly unlike anything you have ever experienced! It is akin to being in a jet military aircraft. Part of it is the mechanical noise of this extremely powerful v8 engine. The other part is the LOCATION of where the exhaust exits in the car. It is RIGHT behind you! It feels like you have one of those personal jet packs attached to your back!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    
Old 11-24-2013, 10:05 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

My friend has peculiar tastes in Porsches. The 991 cabrio is his wife's car. His 'own' Porsches are a Carrera GT (which he bought new at a discount from MSRP via an eBay auction from a dealer in upstate New York) and a low mileage 959 that was initially sold to a collector in Japan. Both are 'Silver' in color. And, unsurprisingly, the 918 he has ordered will also be painted 'Silver
Guess your friend knows what he likes in colors! Great collection of cars too. If I had the means, would always go with PTS.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to comment how the tenor of this thread has changed ...
Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Sound is an important feature of the enjoyment of a car; no doubt Porsche focused on this for the 918. While extremely raucous (at least in my impression from the various videos of the car), if not down right deafening, its not even comparable to the CGT which has this most beautiful howl… It is totally different; it sounds almost like a loud Audi R10 but again this is only from watching some videos. In real life it may be different. I noted that in the Porsche ad for the 918, the engine sounded different (and more appealing). There it sounded just like the soundtrack of the CGT at the end of the film where they explain its history (where it is racing across some country roads over a bridge). This still doesn't change its remarkable performance… Its just that LOUD is necessarily better; its the characteristic of the sound… So I will leave it to the folks who have actually heard it in real life (and maybe the miking of it is more difficult), but I am still in love with the HOWL of my CGT. It is just spine tingling (without necessarily being scary). Sorry Mousecatcher if I have also contributed to a fuzziness in this thread. Cheers, Steve
Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

short of a v12 F1 car, the CGT (w/ tubi) is the best melody I've ever heard. 3rd place goes to the GT1 corvette. wow.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Sorry, meant to say LOUD is NOT necessarily better, but it is the character of the sound that matters. Have heard from many exactly what the Mousecatcher says here (including Jay Leno) -- the F1 and then the CGT in terms of best sound (and the F1 does sound great in the EVO video on super analog cars)… Again, the 918 is new and yet to be heard personally heard by many (including me), but at least in the live video reports of it, that raucous loud song that it produces (see Jay Leno's video for example) lacks the "melody" (as well put by mouse catcher) of the CGT
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Sorry, meant to say LOUD is NOT necessarily better, but it is the character of the sound that matters. Have heard from many exactly what the Mousecatcher says here (including Jay Leno) -- the F1 and then the CGT in terms of best sound (and the F1 does sound great in the EVO video on super analog cars)… Again, the 918 is new and yet to be heard personally heard by many (including me), but at least in the live video reports of it, that raucous loud song that it produces (see Jay Leno's video for example) lacks the "melody" (as well put by mouse catcher) of the CGT
Stephen, do you have stock exhaust or?
I just picked up my CGT and stock exhaust is a little quiet with normal driving.
I may add on a Tubi but don't want to change the high pitch F1 sound....which as you say, loud is NOT better, but it is the pitch to me which is important and don't want to take away from that.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Yeah, right now I do. I find it nicely subdued around town and as soon as you open it up in 2nd gear the howl is just unbelievable. That being said, I am seriously looking at doing a full edo "upgrade" to 770 bhp with a bunch of other things. Its exhaust has a variable control on the sound (my guess is primarily to keep it control in town), but I am completely focused on keeping the brilliant sound I have now (well, edo claims it is better for normal driving and have youtube clips for comparison purposes). I lived in Knightsbridge, London for many years and hated the young middle easterners reviving their Italian sports cars through ordinary traffic, so I probably favour quietness in normal traffic. I think that most persons feel as you do for the CGT in normal traffic because its sound is so beyond extraordinary when you hit 5k rpm...
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Its exhaust has a variable control on the sound (my guess is primarily to keep it control in town),
emissions requirement includes a sound measurement. i guess one might think of it as an aural emission. if i have it correct, the ferrari 360 was the first car to implement the exhaust valve.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

i take back my comments about the dash. i see now that the photo i was commenting on was actually the interior of a panemara. lol
Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet if you wreck it you own it at the driving experience. Interesting legal question. I'll try and find out.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

I got the legal scoop. - Maybe they thought Brian could not afford the car I got the Brochure - that's as close as I'll get.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Can any who drove say if there was any sensation that the brakes were doing two jobs, at once? Any "cut points" under heavy braking? I realize this is a parallel hybrid, so likewise with the front and rear electric motor assist. Any noticeable torque bump/fade, on exit? thx.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...th-individuals
Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wogamax
Can any who drove say if there was any sensation that the brakes were doing two jobs, at once? Any "cut points" under heavy braking? I realize this is a parallel hybrid, so likewise with the front and rear electric motor assist. Any noticeable torque bump/fade, on exit? thx.
Braking down from the short 1,000' straight and setting up for the first left hander , there was nothing I noticed that would indicate anything (in the brake feel) but normal good Porsche braking. As well as nothing feeling odd in the feedback of the brake pedal. I don't recall using the brakes much in the other parts of this course...just mabey a tap or 2. The comparisons are to the experiences with 4 pot brakes of my '79 930.
Marty