Sponsored by:

CGT Traction control fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:32 PM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default CGT Traction control fault

I've been having traction control faults happening on off since I purchased my GT over a year ago. Now that summers back it appears to happen more often.

Apparently I've heard it happening to other owners, and can be fixed by turning the car off and on again.
This works sometimes but other times not as easy. I may need to wait until the car cools down or play with the ignition many times for 5 mins. or so, until the fault goes away.
It could be fine for weeks and months but then again it could fault within the same drive.

For those of you who have not experienced this while you're driving your Carrera GT, it turns into a Toyota Prius. All performance goes out the window and you can hardly keep up to highway speeds. This makes it difficult planning trips and reliability.

I took it to the Porsche dealer and they cannot isolate the problem .They tried to isolate it by swapping the throttle bodies from bank 1 to bank 2 to see if fault follows the suspected body( a $1000 cost).
As of now they still have not been able to identify the error codes and where it's coming from.

I am wondering if any of you have had the same problem and have determined what it was, and fixed it?

Last edited by TJF; 09-20-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: text change
Old 09-20-2013, 04:50 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

Can you tell us more about what happens? What lights come on, does it feel like fuel starvation, does it go away if you drop to a slower speed, etc? Never have had this happen but would like to know how to identify it if it ever does.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

It's a system traction control failure. Warning light comes up, tells you "traction control failure drive to shop" and the car goes into failure mode which means the car loses all performance qualities low revs and low-speed. Just enough power to limp to the nearest Porsche dealer or home or go through a reset procedure that I described.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:30 AM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me like more of a electrical issue, I have seen it happening in GT2's, usually the trac control relay faulty., sometimes the apparently bigger issues are resolved with minor stuff, try other dealer/tech to have a crack at it.,cheers, Sonny.
PS You can try Loren Beggs at 911 design, he knows his stuff around electrical issues.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
reubenk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my wing fail to go down and the abs + psm (or tc, whatever the light is) come on one time but I was pulling off the highway and didnt notice a performance degrade. went to a meeting and a reboot seemed to make it go away. havent seen it again but had the tech's pull the codes to see. my initial thought was maybe wheel speed sensor? but I'm not that car-technical.

Quick Reply: CGT Traction control fault