Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drive on Tour: 918 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, understood CarMaven. I see more clearly how you are looking at -- by comparing it to other existing Porsches. Good analysis. Cheers, Steve
Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Okay, understood CarMaven. I see more clearly how you are looking at -- by comparing it to other existing Porsches. Good analysis. Cheers, Steve
Hey/thanks Stephen. I think it's that (what you said), and a whole "nuther arena" as well. Lol

Honestly, I think this car ticks off all the boxes, and has something for everyone.

It looks great (both exciting and elegant, with out being too over the top). The interior is top notch. It sounds great. But has a lot of torque. It performs great. It's a technological innovator. But it's also not wooden behind the wheel (minus the manual obviously for many here). And it can drive silent for 20 miles, or get 40 mpg if you want. What's not to like (from someone)?

I don't think we ever seen a car like this before. It's essentially a Bugatti Veyron, with great handling, that can impersonate a very stylish Prius, if you wish. That's crazy. As WT Doom said in his review (and I think he was talking to/about the Petrol Head crowd), 'It's going to take us a while to really wrap our heads around this vehicle'. He's right.

I tend to think, because of it's superlatives (0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, Ring Time, Mileage, Electric only range, Infotainment System), and publicity, this car (as the new GT3, but maybe even more so) will open up buyers beyond the normal Petrol heads purchasing in this arena (who criticized, or were initially skeptical of the vehicle in the first place) as we discussed. Like it or not (not you Stephen, just in general). It's a fabulous car on so many fronts.

As far as driving it, after purchase? For some people (as crazy as it sounds) it can be an every day vehicle. And for others it would be a dalliance. It really depends on the other cars they have in their inventory, or what they've rotated out recently (along with buyer mood/personality of course). But many are looking at it, as an all around UBER Hybrid Hyper car, to fit any occasion. So it can be many things to many people. I used the 2014 GT3 as the current living, breathing comparison. And it fits. But even that car, would seem out of place arriving at a high society soiree. The 918 Spyder wouldn't (especially in silent mode).

Good Stuff Stephen

Last edited by CarMaven; 09-12-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
CarMaven, good link ... time to join Rennlist
You're welcome Flat six.

I'm trying to stay away man. Lol.

But we'll see?

Thanks for your outreach and salutations.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

There is supposed to be a pistonheads Article coming out tomorrow which details how Ferrari and mclaren are having serious trouble beating the 918 Round the ring.. LaFerrari is especially struggling supposedly.. All different ride heights have been tried..

Guess we'll find out ttomorrow
Old 09-27-2013, 01:40 PM
CarMaven
Pro

@Calexio

I read that article.

And unless the author, knows something we don't know: It seemed more like a straight opinion piece, and/or an excuse if McLaren and Ferrari don't surpass the 918's time.

[Like You] I've heard about the various ride height, tire, hybrid power train, etc., issues regarding the other two vehicles as well. However, the Piston Head writer never touched on these things, and seemed more focused on 'Ring Knowledge'. This is why I used the phrase "excuse" in my first paragraph.

I don't know about you? But I think the authors Ring Knowledge premise is a Red Herring here. Anyone can find the appropriate 'Ring Master (especially these heavy weights)', I think? So ultimately, it falls back to the vehicle (whether legally prepped or not), in this high stakes, Macho bragging rights exercise.

Therefore, I don't rule out McLaren or Ferrari surpassing the 918's time, if their vehicles are up to snuff. We'll see?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I did notice in the video with Marc, the driver of the 918 during his nurburgring lap, that it looked like he was sawing at the wheel a lot... Looks like the car was a bit squirrelly in the turns, and that it took awhile to settle the suspension. Just my impression?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of what the others do, the 918 is the FIRST to break the 7:00 barrier.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roberga
Regardless of what the others do, the 918 is the FIRST to break the 7:00 barrier.
Got that right. A lot to be said for being first at something. Like first on the moon ;0)..........LaFerrari won't touch the 918 time, the P1 might beat it but not this year. P1 will need version2 update to conquer the 918 time.
The ring is a monster, Porsche knew it and made sure from the beginning that the 918 would conquer it. Talk about sandbagging the other two
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petevb
I wouldn't break out the champagne just yet. Plenty of gamesmanship here. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't even the 918's final time...
6:48 with slicks and fixed rear wing........aero wing not used. Time set was good enough for now ;0)
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the Carrera GT vs 918 argument ( theoretical or otherwise ) the 918 is faster , more powerful ,
more economical , prettier , even better built , more groundbreaking , more expensive , more comfortable , more usable and much better equipped than the carrera gt .

However what car would I choose for that perfect drive , on that perfect road and in the perfect conditions ?

The Carrera GT . Still there is no car out there as pure an experience as the CGT yet modern and reliable enough to use as hard as you want as often as you want ; Carrera GT there is no substitute .
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Regarding the Carrera GT vs 918 argument ( theoretical or otherwise ) the 918 is faster , more powerful ,
more economical , prettier , even better built , more groundbreaking , more expensive , more comfortable , more usable and much better equipped than the carrera gt .

However what car would I choose for that perfect drive , on that perfect road and in the perfect conditions ?

The Carrera GT . Still there is no car out there as pure an experience as the CGT yet modern and reliable enough to use as hard as you want as often as you want ; Carrera GT there is no substitute .
This is why you will have both sir!!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:44 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by wtdoom

This is why you will have both sir!!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

In the just released movie Rush, Nicki Lauda try's to sway the other F1 drivers that they should abandon the race (it was 1/2 wet and 1/2 dry) -- and notes that he is the fastest around the Ring by doing it below 7 minutes. Wonder what an average driver of a 918 could do? Anyhow, the Eco-friendly creature comfort road car 918 just equalled the F1 cars from that era. Pretty damn impressive! (It was the last race on the Ring after Lauda almost in that race).

And although the past record for the CGT is almost 30 seconds behind the 918 on the Ring (wonder what a 770hp edo competition with racing slicks could do?), it probably gives you the closest feeling to that F1 experience.

Great movie btw...
Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Okay, an important correction: Nicki Lauda did the Ring in under 7 minutes when it was 2 miles longer than today. Sorry!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 AM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Okay, an important correction: Nicki Lauda did the Ring in under 7 minutes when it was 2 miles longer than today. Sorry!
Nearly right, it was 12.9 miles vs 14.2 miles so an extra 1.3 miles.

The longest Nurburgring circuit used was in the early days when it included both the Nordshleife and the old Sudschliefe (now abandoned/covered by the GP track) to produce a track totalling 17.5 miles!

Quick Reply: Test Drive on Tour: 918 Spyder