Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New N spec PSS for Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bbs993tt: numbers 1 (everyday) and 2 (spirited) driving. Have never done "limit" driving with it, but yearn to get there (and train up this type of driving on the track, etc.). However, in terms of speed, I'll be in Germany for the first time in a little over a week and look forward to taking it up to around 250-300kph (150-180 mph) on the autobahn just north of Stuttgart (going up to see some folks in Aachen). Look for others to tell me better, but I figure on any non-controlled track that's probably as fast as you want to take it...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
So are you guys noticing a difference in "everyday" driving, spirited driving, at the limit driving or all three?

Tripleblack, I remember Mike's suggestion about the sway adjustment also and I'd ask the same question about during what kind of driving do you notice a difference? Anyone else done this yet? Thanks.
Brian, regarding the sway adjustment I suspect you will notice the difference most on throttle at corner exit - the car is a little more hooked up.

In general, the PSS's feel better all-round for everyday & spirited driving, though Pete is onto something with his "dump them at 1/2 tread depth" comment. "At the limits" means at the track for me so I can't speak to that for the PSS.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

I put on some Super Sports last year for track season. They seemed a little better than FRESHLY-MOLDED PS2 originals. One of the main problems with the original tires seemed to be that Michelin only molded them once every three or four years. They would sit in warehouses and "cook down" and continuously degrade in grip. Almost like storage-induced heat cycles. Michelin finally molded some tires in 2008/2009 that were as grippy as the tires which with the Carrera GT was originally delivered.

So, when the PCNA Tire Rack rep returns to his desk from a trip, I'll ask him if he knows if there is any real difference between the N0 and generic Super Sports. I'd hate to buy a set and find out there's no discernible difference from the ones I have mounted now.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche folklore suggests that what N spec really means is that the tire has all of the quantifiable generic ratings at a level that Porsche specifies to the manufacturer (and could be an odd size tire sometimes.) Chances are that these ratings, i.e. speed/UTOQ/Load, etc are already being produced although in some cases there could be small differences. You can compare tires side by side on TireRack's website, might try looking at some other Porsche spec tires to see what differences might exist. In general, I will buy N-spec tires if readily available and not too out of line price-wise with comparable offerings.
A friend of mine who is a longtime Porsche tech says the most common tire related issues he sees are when a customer trying to "cheap out" comes in with tires that are either the wrong size, or way out of recommended specs, and then wonders why their car handles funny.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

OK, after doing some digging, I've stumbled on a very deep engineering source that knows some key details. I'm going to combine information from different sources along with some first hand knowledge to paint a picture.

1) Michelin developed the Pilot Super Sport tire range on their own volition in the spirit of continuous improvement.

2) Carrera-GT-original-N-spec Pilot Sport replacement tires are very low volume and unprofitable to freshly mold more than once every 3 or 4 years. In 2011/12/? Michelin released an "N2" version through Porsche dealers.

3) The Pilot Sport line was being discontinued and the source materials would no longer be available. A switch to the Super Sport construction and materials was inevitable from a manufacturing standpoint.

4) Porsche had the choice to no longer support replacement tires at all for the Carrera GT, or find and certify a suitable replacement N-spec tire. Interviews with potential 918 customers found dissatisfaction with the "old-rubber" storage degradation of CGT replacement tires -- the CGT was referred to as an "orphan car" among those reluctant to sign up for a repeat in the case of the 918.

5) Various CGT owners had tried the generic Pilot Super Sport tires on their cars with great satisfaction. This was only possible in countries (like USA) where non-homologated tires are legal to run on the highway. In more restrictive countries, the car would have to run on the old N-spec tires or risk arrest.

6) Porsche decided to homologate the already existing Pilot Super Sport in two sizes that exactly match the OEM Pilot Sport tires. They did this by testing the existing Super Sport tires, declaring them a great improvement (which they absolutely are), and having Michelin simply put an insert into the tire mold that says "N0".

7) Porsche announces to great fanfare that they continue to support the Carrera GT in its dotage.

There is no functional difference in the "N0" Pilot Super Sport tires and the generic Super Sport tires that have been available for quite a while. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. My sources are impeccable and first persons to the details.

EDIT --- These comments apply ONLY to Carrera GT Pilot Super Sports and no other Porsche models

Last edited by W8MM; 08-27-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Great information, Mike. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Thanks W8MM -- it all makes sense! What a great resource to have folks like you here to share this knowledge. SO, SO APPRECIATED! Cheers, Steve
Old 08-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

I should have said to RESEARCH and SHARE THIS KNOWLEDGE. Since I know the former takes lots and lots of time (never mind the significant effort to encapsulate it all in a wonderfully succinct manner for the rest of us here). Cheers
Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the information, and for doing the digging Mike. You are a great asset to the forum!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Took it on the Autobahn -- great section in Germany near the Belgium border. These tires are simply fantastic...
Old 09-28-2013, 08:25 AM
superyota
Intermediate

I had pilot sport 2 tires replaces with super sports today. The sad part is that my pilot sports only have 50 miles on them, they were produced in 2011 and 2009. If anyone wants them I will sell for $1000. SoCal
Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 PM
ladius
Track Day

Anyone know if they are for sale in the US yet? Can they be obtained through Porsche dealers?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 PM
superyota
Intermediate

Tire rack is the best place to get the tires
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
unique
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

finally!!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:36 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi folks,

I doubt Michelin would go through the trouble/expense to mold "N0" into the tire sidewall unless it had a different construction or test.

I'm checking with engineers now. Here's some interesting reading. The attached photos are from my new tires that arrived today.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&affiliate=WC3

"It is also important to know that while Porsche N-specification tires have been fine tuned to meet the specific performance needs of Porsche vehicles, the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications. These tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires. Using tires that are not N-specific is not recommended and mixing them with other N-specification tires is not permissible."
Attached Images   
Attached Images

Quick Reply: New N spec PSS for Carrera GT