Sponsored by:

New N spec PSS for Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts
Default New N spec PSS for Carrera GT

Following the Evo Test raving about the CGT on Pilot Super Sports, Porsche has worked with Michelin to develop an N spec version of the tire specifically for the CGT. Nice to see them supporting the car.

Link

Press Release:
Newly Developed Tires for the Porsche Carrera GT

Atlanta. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, based in Stuttgart, has developed a new tire for the Carrera GT in partnership with tire manufacturer Michelin. The new tire once again noticeably enhances the handling of the 1,270 versions of the super sports car built between 2003 and 2006. The new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire, which now replaces the current Pilot Sport PS2 tire on the Carrera GT, brings together the findings of ten years' worth of tire development to give drivers of the Carrera GT noticeably improved handling, even faster lap times and a more harmonious driving experience overall.

Drivers will even see benefits in relation to the stability of the Porsche model at its top speed of 330 km/h, as well as its behavior at high lateral acceleration speeds. This is all down to the new structure of the tire, which, of course, features the Porsche specification "N0" on the sidewalls. The tread compound of the Pilot Super Sport tire, which is manufactured on the same production line as Michelin racing tires, is based on "dual-compound" technology. With this technology, different rubber compounds are used for the inside and outside of the tread. This concept offers maximum grip on bends and highly precise steering behavior. What's more, the belt is made from an especially durable mix of aramid fibers, which are five times lighter than steel but deliver the same tensile strength. In addition, the variable contact area distributes the pressure evenly across the tire, meaning as much of the tread as possible is always in contact with the asphalt under any driving conditions.

The new Carrera GT tires are available now in 265/35 ZR 19 98Y "N0" and 335/30 ZR 20 108Y "N0" dimensions. Alongside optimized performance criteria, these tires offer the cost-effective side-effect of increased mileage: Compared to the previous tire, mileage is up to 10% higher on normal roads, and even as much as 20% higher when the tires are used on tough race tracks. The new tire also improves braking performance, showing that, even after ten years, Porsche is still working just as hard to look after drivers of its older models as it does to look after drivers of its new vehicles.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 PM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 70 Posts

Says they are available now. I called Tire Rack but they don't have any info. I wonder how long it will take for these tires to make it to market?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I wonder how much the N0 designated tires differ from the "normal" Super Sport tires? Or is it just to compensate Porsche for doing the work to approve the use of the Super Sport tires on the CGT? I have just ordered mine, but can now wait until the officially designated tries come out...
Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Actually, the dealer had already ordered the tires with the N0 specification. Front tires have arrived, waiting for the rear ones...
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now to see new laps at the ring to achieve a new benchmark for the CGT. I always felt the original tires were simply too hard a compound which compromised grip. The wear (or lack of) was incredible but stickiness and track grip not close to the newer Michelins on my 2010 GT3RS
Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
The wear (or lack of) was incredible but stickiness and track grip not close to the newer Michelins on my 2010 GT3RS
The newer Michelin Super Sports actually have a "harder" wear rating as noted in the blurb above, but in most comparison tests they grip better than the older technology PS2's with softer wear ratings. Time marches on.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
The newer Michelin Super Sports actually have a "harder" wear rating as noted in the blurb above, but in most comparison tests they grip better than the older technology PS2's with softer wear ratings. Time marches on.
FYI, both the PSS and PS2 heat cycle out far before the tread goes. If you run a PSS hard down to the bars you'll even see chunking, in my experience. My experience (on other cars) is to dump them at ~1/2 tread depth- you'll be amazed at the improvement in grip the fresh rubber gives.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
Now to see new laps at the ring to achieve a new benchmark for the CGT. I always felt the original tires were simply too hard a compound which compromised grip. The wear (or lack of) was incredible but stickiness and track grip not close to the newer Michelins on my 2010 GT3RS
Yes I would think it would run a very competitive lap with the newer tires
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Got them. Definitely puts the car on a firmer and more "secure" footing... The tires pair really, really well with the car.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Good info. Which tires did you have on before and how old were they?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
FYI, both the PSS and PS2 heat cycle out far before the tread goes. If you run a PSS hard down to the bars you'll even see chunking, in my experience. My experience (on other cars) is to dump them at ~1/2 tread depth- you'll be amazed at the improvement in grip the fresh rubber gives.
Agree wholeheartedly on the MPSS impressions; fresh tires are phenomenal.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

News to me. I'm trying to get more information on this from Michelin and will report back as soon as I hear.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Tripleblack: my tires were relatively new (well, with fresh threads). I got the car very recently and put on about 2,500 km on them. I had read here in Rennlist about the tires, had seen Walter Rohl's video of the CGT versus the latest 911 (it's in German, but you can get English subtitles and he explains at the end how he believes the tires are the limiting factor for the CGT) and the huge endorsement for the Super Sports on the CGT by the September EVO comparison of the "magnificent 7 super cars". However, I couldn't put the Super Sports on legally in Switzerland because the motor vehicle authorities would only allow the original approved tire -- I was waging a little battle with explaining that Michelin didn't add the word "Super" for nothing (was even going to lobby the Zug council). Finally, Porsche came to the rescue by officially approving the tire (and maybe tweaking it -- I don't know). Anyhow, I can not argue that my initial impressions of the tire maybe "psychosomatic" (and my brain was heavily preconditioned to like them), but I do feel that I would be willing to do a blind A/B test and believe that the Super Sports would be easily identifiable. The car again just seems more "planted" or "stable" -- again, part of that could be greater confidence on my part to drive the CGT with these new tires. But I honestly do believe that they make a big difference...
Old 08-24-2013, 07:54 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Thanks Stephen. I have a set of PSS on mine and they are superior to the PS2's. Note that the PSS was OEM on the 599 in the US. I'd be interested to find out if there is any meaningful difference between the new N-spec PSS and the regular version.

An additional thought perhaps: A member here (thanks Mike) suggested moving the rear sway bar from the factory middle setting to soft. I did so and agree that it settles the car a little more under load.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:30 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Thanks Stephen. I have a set of PSS on mine and they are superior to the PS2's. Note that the PSS was OEM on the 599 in the US. I'd be interested to find out if there is any meaningful difference between the new N-spec PSS and the regular version.

An additional thought perhaps: A member here (thanks Mike) suggested moving the rear sway bar from the factory middle setting to soft. I did so and agree that it settles the car a little more under load.
So are you guys noticing a difference in "everyday" driving, spirited driving, at the limit driving or all three?

Tripleblack, I remember Mike's suggestion about the sway adjustment also and I'd ask the same question about during what kind of driving do you notice a difference? Anyone else done this yet? Thanks.

Last edited by bbs993tt; 08-24-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: New N spec PSS for Carrera GT