Sponsored by:

damaged white cgt

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I'm not sure I buy the 15 mph incident and hitting two cars. The front looks like he hit a tire wall at a track based on the patterns and direction.
Which might explain why the current owner is not having it repaired through his insurance company.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Looks like it slammed a tire barrier.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe the side impact was at 15mph as it spun - looks counter clockwise- into the tires for the second impact. Perhaps he nicked two other cars while spinning off the track and into the tires? A bad day for sure.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

SOLD
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Any idea of the sell price? would be interesting to follow and see how it ends up..
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 PM
GT3.2
Racer

he did not disclose......
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Darn -- we needed a backup Chumps car.

Mike
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

That car IS NOT SOLD!! Just talked to owner, he has no clue why someone is claiming sold. It's still available.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I can also confirm that it was available as of about 2 hours ago.

Interesting possibilities with this one!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic color combo! I would have preferred all brown interior and not the two-tone though.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I want this job. Someone buy it and let me fix it. This is my thread "Composite Repair CGT".
Attached Images    
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Nothing I cant fix
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

It looks like track damage to me too

It's possible that the insurance company paid for it and they kept it minus salvage value figuring they could sell it for more than salvage cost
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless the seller has decided upon plain lies to sell this car, surely something of the story is true. Maybe it's the power of suggestion. It doesn't "look like" any particular type of damage, but once you think about typical tire barrier damage, it begs the question of what really happened and why not a "simple" insurance claim, then sell a pristine car at fair market value for a repaired example?

As for the damage, trying to weigh perspectives, the last time someone hit our gray SUV (from behind, while we were stopped at a red light in traffic) with their white car, their car came away with black marks from the polyurethane of the SUV bumper, not the gray paint. Also, after a couple of decades at the track, I have no shortage of examples of 911's I've seen go off into the scenery and there's no consistent outcome other than crying and the ultimate realization, it's a "total loss" proposition that most drivers treat with a heaping spoonful of denial. In recent memory, I saw a blue 911 meet with a tire barrier in one of those "but for another few feet" spins that started at maybe 60 mph and the car was probably down to 15 mph as it contacted the "safety" barrier, and there were no black marks, and a similar amount of damage on three corners. There's just no certainty to it. I think it behoves the seller to explain in detail, not leave it to an implausible "15 mph, turning left, a little too much bravado with the right foot and $300K gone with no recourse to insurance." I'd like to think something innocent and low speed, but without an x-ray and a lot of dollars, who knows? Fully repaired at a dealer, I'd say market value should be circa $200K ... I wouldn't "save" $50K to buy a wrecked Carrera GT instead of a "no stories" one at $300K, so I think it's fair to say the market is (far) south of $250K. If repairs are indeed $150K plus incidentals, then the market for this example as presented should be circa $100K, no?

Even though $100K seems like a helluva low number, I think the repair estimates mentioned here are not unrealistic and the fully repaired car cannot be absolved of this chapter in its history. Even at $100K, it leaves no margin for error, and it simply transfers 100% of the risk to the buyer. If anything goes wrong with the engine perhaps having rotated backwards or a chassis pickup point that fails a crack test, etc., suddenly the whole thing turns into a flatbed delivery to a wrecking yards to be sold off for parts (which of course, for the optimist, could well turn out to be more than the initial $100K.)

The sad thought here for me at least, is to think this example will probably go to an unscrupulous repairer willing to buy used parts from a wrecker, reassemble the car as a "side job" for an equally compromised Porsche tech to use dealer resources outside business hours, then bingo, here's your "cheap" Carrera GT.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the VIN and this car hasn't recorded a mandatory factory service, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Trying to buy a "kosher" Carrera GT can be a monumental time sink -- at least this example tells its story up front.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent post Carrera GT, but I am not sure that I agree with it in it's entirety. Seller has a duty of full disclosure to any serious buyers and I am sure he is being quite forthcoming. Moreover, he is offering the car for a full PPI and the mechanic of the buyer's choosing. I do not believe, however, that the seller has any duty to disclose what happened to the internet masses so they can pontificate on what they would have done, etc. BTW, I personally know the seller and he is a straight shooter and a very much known quantity in the Porsche world

I think the axiom that best applies here is "buyer beware". It is incumbent upon an serious buyer to do his or her own thorough due diligence before stroking a check for this vehicle.

Just my 2 cents. Best regards to all.

Quick Reply: damaged white cgt