Sponsored by:

Considering a CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Vernor75
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a CGT

I've been toying with the idea of getting a CGT for some time (dutifully reading this forum) and wanted to request recommendations of potential cars available from the community.

Located in Austin TX, I currently own a RS4.0 (PTS Orange) and '09 GT2 (Aqua Blue). I prefer uniquely colored cars but it's not an absolute requirement for CGT ownership. I do have a strong preference for the dark gray interior however.

I plan on enjoying and driving the car so I'm not looking for a low mileage collector. That said, I'm OK paying a bit of a premium for a lower mileage example that has been well cared for.

I'm aware of many cars that are advertised on the more common sites but if you know of a car that may be for sale if the right buyer comes along, please let me know. I have a 599 GTO that could be considered part of the deal if someone is looking to get into one of those.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 PM
racerp04
AutoX

Have a one owner silver terra cotta 5k miles 2004 818 353 2454
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CGT time required maintenance is $$$. That is one of the major concerns that I'd consider.

Finding a CGT is still pretty easy. Plenty of people selling as keeping a car that requires major overhaul every few years isn't what most are willing to accept.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

If you get a Carrera GT what happens to that 4.0 that will be lonely and unloved in the garage?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Vernor75
2nd Gear

Arctic - should that happen, it frees up another garage space for something new. Doubtful to me now though, the 4.0 has been my favorite by a decent margin.

And I understand the maintenance cost, that is certainly part of the price of ownership. I'm more concerned about the enjoyment derived from ownership.

racer - thanks for the info, I'll let you know. Unfortunately silver and terra cotta is not a combination very high on my list. A beautiful combination, but I have very specific (some say poor) tastes in color combinations.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Guards red or fayence yellow and be done with it.

I think the CGT is the last of its breed. full out race car for the street. not something that you want to be driving and on your phone just sheer bliss!! you will probably take routes to where ever you are going that have a tunnell along the way.. or a wall on the side of the road to echo the sound coming out of the rear pipes.

You know if you were to buy one you probably wouldnt lose much money if any if you wouldnt like it and decided to sell a year down the road.

If i had the money that would be the first car in my garage.

good luck with your decision
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernor75
Arctic - should that happen, it frees up another garage space for something new. Doubtful to me now though, the 4.0 has been my favorite by a decent margin.

And I understand the maintenance cost, that is certainly part of the price of ownership. I'm more concerned about the enjoyment derived from ownership.

racer - thanks for the info, I'll let you know. Unfortunately silver and terra cotta is not a combination very high on my list. A beautiful combination, but I have very specific (some say poor) tastes in color combinations.
Vernor,

I can assure you that there is plenty of enjoyment that comes along with the cgt. I've even taken mine down to the Hill Country and it's a hoot! Some of the roads there are better suited for your RS 4.0, but the ones that open up a bit more.........cgt territory.

And by the way, Fayence yellow is the fastest color.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

The car drives just like a prototype racecar that it is. It also has an amazing presence whether running or parked. However, the silver/black IS faster than the banana colored one!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

There is an unusual Red colored one on Autotrader or Dupont. Can't remember where I saw it, but I believe it has been painted customer in Rosso Scuderia, the Ferrari color.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 PM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Sloan Cars my have a nice CGT. There located in CT.

http://sloancars.com/2261/2005-carre...er-2400-miles/
Old 12-22-2012, 03:16 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I was searching for a CGT and I have a spreadsheet of everything I could find for sale in the USA. PM me if you want it.

I am down to considering a CGT or 12C spider. I would get a 458 Spider if I didnt have to pay over sticker but that's a while away still. I am struggling with the idea of handing over the CGT to a valet. Sounds goofy but we eat out every weekend and its one of the few times I get to drive my car. I'm sure I can get used to the clutch and I understand they can last a good while (10k miles or more) if treated properly. I just dont know if I can give it to the valet which means it may not get driven very much (hence the 12C idea).
Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
I was searching for a CGT and I have a spreadsheet of everything I could find for sale in the USA. PM me if you want it.

I am down to considering a CGT or 12C spider. I would get a 458 Spider if I didnt have to pay over sticker but that's a while away still. I am struggling with the idea of handing over the CGT to a valet. Sounds goofy but we eat out every weekend and its one of the few times I get to drive my car. I'm sure I can get used to the clutch and I understand they can last a good while (10k miles or more) if treated properly. I just dont know if I can give it to the valet which means it may not get driven very much (hence the 12C idea).
These two cars are SO different! I have a CGT and drove a friends 12C. It is as fast if not faster then the Porsche and is much easier to drive. However, it did not give me that special feeling that the Carrera GT gives me plus it has almost zero presence. Funny enough I would take the 12C as the more viable track car and the Porsche as the more special street car.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:15 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nycartdealer
These two cars are SO different! I have a CGT and drove a friends 12C. It is as fast if not faster then the Porsche and is much easier to drive. However, it did not give me that special feeling that the Carrera GT gives me plus it has almost zero presence. Funny enough I would take the 12C as the more viable track car and the Porsche as the more special street car.
Will you hand the keys of your CGT to a valet or is that crazy talk?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
Will you hand the keys of your CGT to a valet or is that crazy talk?
I would and HAVE given the keys to a valet but they usually let ME park the car right up front. The Porsche has MAJOR presence. But a few times the valet has moved the car as well, just not very far
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 AM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Have you driven a CGT? You need to have good drive in one before you consider to buy. Its raw and very mechanical.
I have a new Ferrari 458 also and there completely different machines.
If I had to give up one it would be the Ferrari. The CGT is a marvel and I think is a bargain, as long as you can afford what comes along with such a machine..

Quick Reply: Considering a CGT