Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to hijack this thread but my guess is the OP has the same question. How much more valuable is a 2005 model vs a 2004? I have searched all the previous threads and dont see any references to this. As far as I can tell there are 16 CGT's for sale in the USA and two of those are 2004 vehicles.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

As stated earlier in this thread the CGT is one of the all time great cars. When I had mine I did not let the valet park the car. It was worth the extra tip to ensure my peace of mind.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:41 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
I was searching for a CGT and I have a spreadsheet of everything I could find for sale in the USA. PM me if you want it.

I am down to considering a CGT or 12C spider. I would get a 458 Spider if I didnt have to pay over sticker but that's a while away still. I am struggling with the idea of handing over the CGT to a valet. Sounds goofy but we eat out every weekend and its one of the few times I get to drive my car. I'm sure I can get used to the clutch and I understand they can last a good while (10k miles or more) if treated properly. I just dont know if I can give it to the valet which means it may not get driven very much (hence the 12C idea).
If you're looking for a car to go out for dinner once a week, the CGT is not a good choice.

Last edited by E-Man; 12-26-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: .....
Old 12-27-2012, 06:17 AM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone back and forth on a CGT and the last time I decided to go with the 599GTO because it is a car I could go away for a weekend with my wife and enjoy all it has to offer.

I still feel like one is in my future but, my question to the faithful is: given the complete lack of luggage space if you have the top off, do you feel like you are missing out if you don't take the top off?

Mario
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

That's a very good question and one you should consider before buying a CGT. I've taken my car on a four day road trip with my girlfriend. It doesn't matter if the top is off or on because the space in the trunk is so limited either way. Even with the top on you're not going to be able to store a decent size bag in the trunk. I brought a backpack and my GF packed one bag. She didn't mind storing them in the passenger foot well next to her legs. Did I get to bring a lot of clothes? No. But for me, I'd rather sacrifice some luggage space to be able to drive one of the most fantastic road cars ever made halfway across the country. Believe me, the last thing I was thinking was 'If I only could've brought two more sweaters'
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Man
That's a very good question and one you should consider before buying a CGT. I've taken my car on a four day road trip with my girlfriend. It doesn't matter if the top is off or on because the space in the trunk is so limited either way. Even with the top on you're not going to be able to store a decent size bag in the trunk. I brought a backpack and my GF packed one bag. She didn't mind storing them in the passenger foot well next to her legs. Did I get to bring a lot of clothes? No. But for me, I'd rather sacrifice some luggage space to be able to drive one of the most fantastic road cars ever made halfway across the country. Believe me, the last thing I was thinking was 'If I only could've brought two more sweaters'
Live like a rock star and just buy new clothes wherever you arrive and leave them there.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

That's actually a helluva good idea. trashing the hotel room before I leave...I've already got that down.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good answer. Wasn't that the ultimate in luxury status a while back? Stepping off the concorde with your sunglasses and no luggage? I guess that could apply to the cgt. For that matter, I guess the top is optional too, lol. It can never take the mantle of " least practical car ever" from the Barchetta

Great car no matter what.
M
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Sonder Fahrt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recently i used the cgt for a 10 day holiday covering 4 countries and 4000 km.
germany, austria, switzerland and italy.
i hadnt have the luggage set, however i just bought the cloths bag.

so my experience ist without the set:
there is enough space in the cgt. you can put on each side a cloths bag behind the seats. if your partner is of european ;-) size, there is space for 1-2 small bags behind the passenger seat and a small bag behind the driver seat. there is space for a medium sized bag in the passenger front and also space under, inbetween and on top the dismanteled roofs in the front. if the weather is nice and you leave the autobahn it takes about 15 minutes to dismantle the roof, change the luaggage setting and here you go... and yes a fresh set of undies every day.
so in the end you can not bring your suitcases, you dont buy a lot of stuff on your trip, you will end up with using quite a few smaller bags possibly of different brands.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

The CGT 4 year service costs can run around $6K USD. Mine is coming up on its second one mid 2013..
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by bojali
The CGT 4 year service costs can run around $6K USD. Mine is coming up on its second one mid 2013..
I assume that's just the yearly service (mostly just fluids)? I am trying to figure in the $20k clutch ever x years. Of the 16 cars on the market in the USA the average mileage is around 5k and 35% have had a clutch done by that point. I know this is highly dependent on the driver knowing how to use the clutch but what assumptions are others using? Also isnt there a engine out valve service at some point?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 99 Posts

I assume that's just the yearly service (mostly just fluids)? I am trying to figure in the $20k clutch ever x years. Of the 16 cars on the market in the USA the average mileage is around 5k and 35% have had a clutch done by that point. I know this is highly dependent on the driver knowing how to use the clutch but what assumptions are others using? Also isnt there a engine out valve service at some point?
The clutch as you noted is dependent on the driver. Valve service is every four years, regardless of mileage.

My 2004 car has just clicked 30k miles, and has just had it's second engine out service. The clutch is the original, and it measured 28.90mm at service, with the wear limit at 28.00mm for replacement.

Based on the data on clutch wear I have for my car, I calculated the car would most likely need a clutch before the next four year service, which will be around another 15k miles. On this basis as the engine and transmission were out for the service I had a new clutch fitted - which only incurred the cost of the clutch, around $7.5k USD with some discount applied.

I've done lot of track days/DE events in the car, probably circa 40,and would estimate the car would have covered around 40-45k miles on the original clutch.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
The clutch as you noted is dependent on the driver. Valve service is every four years, regardless of mileage.

My 2004 car has just clicked 30k miles, and has just had it's second engine out service. The clutch is the original, and it measured 28.90mm at service, with the wear limit at 28.00mm for replacement.

Based on the data on clutch wear I have for my car, I calculated the car would most likely need a clutch before the next four year service, which will be around another 15k miles. On this basis as the engine and transmission were out for the service I had a new clutch fitted - which only incurred the cost of the clutch, around $7.5k USD with some discount applied.

I've done lot of track days/DE events in the car, probably circa 40,and would estimate the car would have covered around 40-45k miles on the original clutch.
Thanks - that's amazing information to have. How much are you paying for the engine out service very 4 years?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

not sure who was asking but I have the mp4 and the CGT. I drive the MP4 much more often because it's easier to handle when there might be traffic or if there are any parking related concerns. If I am taking a one day long massive joy ride- the CGT is the car. if the weather is going to be predictably sunny/warm/pleasant- just leave the top at home all together, no need to store it in your trunk. I've done some extended drives in it and have over 10k miles on mine.

another option of the CGT road trip rockstar concept- pack a ton of stuff, and pick up a new friend while it's parked in front of somewhere nice. easier to travel alone and you will get much more practical benefit out of the curb appeal of the car...haha
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks - that's amazing information to have. How much are you paying for the engine out service very 4 years?
Retail is around $9k USD, converted from GBP.

Quick Reply: Considering a CGT