Sponsored by:

Another bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reubenk
it's with state farm. full coverage. I do have a bunch of discounts including the "bunch of cars", safe driver (chuckle), other home/umbrella policies, 5000 miles/year limit. they called me back today after it completed underwriting and told me it was going to be $139/month.
Yeah, that policy doesn't exist.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM
reubenk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rushman71
Yeah, that policy doesn't exist.
I wasnt trying to be funny! I couldnt believe it myself but that is actually what I pay for insurance on an 05 CGT with state farm.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

I wasnt trying to be funny! I couldnt believe it myself but that is actually what I pay for insurance on an 05 CGT with state farm.
And I am telling you that as someone with property and casualty licenses in 26 states, that policy doesn't exist. Either you aren't being truthful, or you don't understand the policy you have.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Be very careful. Wanting to leave Allstate -- horrible experience with the company with a claim -- I went to State Farm for insurance for my 03 Turbo.

I gave the SF agent the VIN and other info asked of me and was initially quoted a pretty good price. I forget the amount but it was probably less than what I was paying to Allstate.

The details are a bit fuzzy now but I wanted something in writing so I was sure I had insurance on the car. The agent balked, then quoted me a higher price. Still acceptable but troubling.

Then another delay and another quote this time at a higher price yet.

While it was not the higher price per se that put me off it was the inability of the agent to provide me with a solid quote with the coverage I wanted at and at a competitive price (though to be rid of the other company I would have paid some more (though not *much* more).

Anyhow, after having just been through a horrible experience with Allstate I was in no mood to deal with another insurance company that up front, with no claim, couldn't give me straight up quote that I could take the bank.

Now maybe it would have eventually, but I had had enough and went to AAA and got the coverage I wanted at a competitive price.

Be very careful you have the insurance you think you have. The wrong time to find out is when you need the insurance.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello Macster and Rushman,
Ruebank is being truthful. I also have State Farm for my 04 CGT and use to pay $765 every 6 months. I was also shocked and demanded that my SF agent call the underwriter to verify the value in case of a total loss - basically making sure they understand the value of the CGT and that they don't have it mixed up with a GT3 or some other model. I also have all the policies similar to Ruebank. However, now I pay $712 every 6 months for a new policy they just started about a year ago. I've heard from my agent that my rate can fluctuate as I now pay based on how many miles I drive annually. State Farm use to have a policy with rates based on less than 3k miles per year (or some low number), perhaps they still have that policy as well. However, this new policy is based on actual miles driven (I drive this car about 100-200 miles per month). It's $2k deductible (or whatever the highest is - $3k? $5k? don't know and don't care as any damage or loss will be far more).

I will say State Farms has been good to me over the last 20 years. I've had many claims (my wife.... Ohhhh... I need to hire her a driver...). Each time I was very satisfied with their follow up, and final results. The service is really all up to the agent - don't deal with a flaky one. I'm sure there are good and bad agents with most insurance companies. The bottom line is when you you have a claim, how the actual insurance company comes through (which has little to do with your agent).

Last edited by MikeGT; 02-14-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
reubenk
Intermediate

I do have a large deductible and they ask for current mileage every year on my cars. I honestly dont remember if the limit was 5000 miles or 3000 but was in that range - the policy has been in effect for years, just swapped out cars and adjusted limits over time. my first agent with that company (7 years ago) was horrible and had all my policies f-ed up. I switched agents and had a great experience. he has since retired. jury is out on number 3 but they have been very helpful so far. I had the same type of discussion with the agent when setting up the CGT to make sure that the real value of the car was known and that it would be covered in any scenario. they faxed over a binder and insurance card while I was on the phone with them. I havent had a claim since 1995 and it wasnt with that company so I cannot speak to claims service but I'm glad to hear mikegt had good experiences.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

I just bought an 05 CGT. Insurance is only $131/month. cheaper than my murcielago was!
Wow that is amazing - I need to call State Farm!

Reubenk, noticed that you are in Atlanta... Did you purchase the black/black GT from Select?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Ruebank is being truthful. I also have State Farm for my 04 CGT and use to pay $765 every 6 months. I was also shocked and demanded that my SF agent call the underwriter to verify the value in case of a total loss - basically making sure they understand the value of the CGT and that they don't have it mixed up with a GT3 or some other model. I also have all the policies similar to Ruebank. However, now I pay $712 every 6 months for a new policy they just started about a year ago. I've heard from my agent that my rate can fluctuate as I now pay based on how many miles I drive annually. State Farm use to have a policy with rates based on less than 3k miles per year (or some low number), perhaps they still have that policy as well. However, this new policy is based on actual miles driven (I drive this car about 100-200 miles per month). It's $2k deductible (or whatever the highest is - $3k? $5k? don't know and don't care as any damage or loss will be far more).

I will say State Farms has been good to me over the last 20 years. I've had many claims (my wife.... Ohhhh... I need to hire her a driver...). Each time I was very satisfied with their follow up, and final results. The service is really all up to the agent - don't deal with a flaky one. I'm sure there are good and bad agents with most insurance companies. The bottom line is when you you have a claim, how the actual insurance company comes through (which has little to do with your agent).
The important thing is one knows for sure.

There's some kind of bug in the software insurance companies use. When I tried to get a quote from Allstate on my Turbo, I got a call back from the agent who said something about a GT3 or GT2 and said there might be a problem insuring the car without some restrictions/special conditions.

I cleared up the VIN thing and that was that.

But I think when I tried to go to State Farm the agent ran into the same sort of problem the difference was the SF agent wasn't as experienced/knowledgeable about the software.

And believe it or not even AAA had a bit of a hiccup when I tried to buy insurance on the Turbo. This time though the agent contacted AAA's CA DMV section and cleared up the VIN question and I walked out with insurance.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 PM
zed996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CGT Quote from State Farm

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Ruebank is being truthful. I also have State Farm for my 04 CGT and use to pay $765 every 6 months.......
Simple enough to get a quote from State Farm for the CGT. Here's a quote I received (online) as a good California driver for an 2005 CGT. I would expect some price changes based adjustment of limits, deductibles, conversation with agent, etc :-(
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Zed, if i'm not mistaken I believe the biggest difference in the quote is the amount of mileage. Looks like the quote above says "annual mileage", which I assume to be 12,000+ miles a year. Reubenk said his insurance was limited to 3-5K miles per year which will have a great affect on the premium. See if you can change the mileage on the online quote and see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 PM
zed996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJK78
Zed, if i'm not mistaken I believe the biggest difference in the quote is the amount of mileage. Looks like the quote above says "annual mileage", which I assume to be 12,000+ miles a year. Reubenk said his insurance was limited to 3-5K miles per year which will have a great affect on the premium. See if you can change the mileage on the online quote and see if it makes a difference.
I used 2,500 miles per year for this quote.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting that the quote online is so high... I'll check as to why and let all of you know.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM
reubenk
Intermediate

Wow that is amazing - I need to call State Farm!

Reubenk, noticed that you are in Atlanta... Did you purchase the black/black GT from Select?
no, although that one looks fantastic. there were 2 others in my neighborhood black and silver. the guy with the black one sold it recently but I heard it went to KY. I wonder if it actually ended up at select?

mine is red. #689. carfax had it as 1 owner penn/nj car but was for sale in FL when I got it.

Last edited by reubenk; 02-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
reubenk
Intermediate

so I logged into the website to see exactly what I have.
my breakdown looks like this:
Vehicle description 2005 PORSCHE CARRERA GT 2DR
Annual mileageDriven 7,500 miles or less annually.

liability limits: 250000,500000,100000 premium: $119.36
comp deduct: $2000 premium: $131.10
collis deduct: $2000 premium: $542.40
uninsured: says no coverage but premium is $61.16 (I think this is mandatory in GA?)
total = $854.02 (six months)

Accident Free Discount
$165.45
Multiple Automobiles Discount
$152.35
Multiple Line Discount
$223.63

there is some amendatory endorsement listed as "6911B.1". have no idea what that is.

I'm in suburban atlanta, have 11 policies with them, and I'm 41 years old. they had no problem looking up the vehicle by VIN when I insured it.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
reubenk
Intermediate

doesnt claims history in your "area" come into play also? I don't think any have been wrecked in GA with claims filed. probably different story in california. beats me.

Quick Reply: Another bites the dust