Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion, will the CGT drop in price once the 918 comes out?? If yes, by how much

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
5-7 days away...
Your Red CGT is beautiful. I looks very much like one that sold new at Newport Beach Porsche. I remember seeing it in the showroom with carbon fiber and the red stitching. Not sure if it is the same car, but it is a great looking car!

Enjoy.

I think CGT prices have and will remain stable. I think in 20 years you will be very glad you have one tucked away if you can afford one! I agree it will be one of the last true drivers supercars!

I have offered my 07 Cup and 09 Turbo Cab in trade for one a few times, maybe one day I will find a taker or will just pony up!

JCM
Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 AM
turbo3six
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

High production numbers, a one off power train with extraordinary repair/maintenance expense and NO RACING HISTORY equates to a less than average investment potential. Market values for the 980 will likely continue to slide.
But, if a Porsche that most resembles a Boxster on steroids is what gets your juices flowin... Get on it.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Have you ever driven one? CGT = automotive nirvana
Old 07-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah its headed the way of the 928 and the pontiac fiero
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo3six
... Market values for the 980 will likely continue to slide.
But, if a Porsche that most resembles a Boxster on steroids is what gets your juices flowin... Get on it.

looks are subjective and not the reason i buy cars personally anyway . The thrill , drive ,challenge and engineering perfection of the cgt are unmatched in a car in this class . I have lost track of the track days and hard driving ive done in my 980's , neither ever missed a beat . FYI consumables ( brakes , tyres ) are not much more expensive than my 997 gt3rs .

As for values continuing to slide , thats certainly not the case here in the uk mate .
After people found out the 980's were no good for posing on the kings road prices dropped to around 200 000 gbp . Now that enthusiasts and collectors who understand the car are buying them prices are steadily creeping up .
Even now when it looks like financially things will get worse before they get better decent cars are selling for over 310 000 gbp .
In fact a very well known supercar dealer in surrey has sold 2 cars for over 385 000 gbp in the last couple of months .

Maybe the usa just got too many cars ( again ...) ?

" Behold , the Dragon . A beast of such power that if you were to view it all whole in a single glance , it would burn you to cinders . " :

Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM
M-M
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=wtdoom;8722649]l
people found out the 980's were no good for posing on the kings road prices dropped to around 200 000 gbp .

My garage told me yesterday that my new Sachs clutch is organic and just like a normal clutch on 997 and can be used the same and it will last as long )) Sachs only produce them on order, dont even have them in stock ) So now i can use it for DD I´m sure it will make the car more attractive
Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M-M
My garage told me yesterday that my new Sachs clutch is organic and just like a normal clutch on 997 and can be used the same and it will last as long )) Sachs only produce them on order, dont even have them in stock ) So now i can use it for DD I´m sure it will make the car more attractive
I heard about these but tbh I have friends with over 40k on the cgt and im so used to it now when i take it into london in heavy traffic theres no real issue .

Very interesting though , did you contact them directly and is it a CGT clutch or originally for another vehicle ?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM
M-M
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wtdoom
I heard about these but tbh I have friends with over 40k on the cgt and im so used to it now when i take it into london in heavy traffic theres no real issue .

Very interesting though , did you contact them directly and is it a CGT clutch or originally for another vehicle ?
Its a high performance clutch for CGT made by Sachs, limited production so its very expensive and the company where my car is in Germany is a well known racing team and they order it direct from Sachs ) He said you cant compare it with stock clutch and you can get better starts and smother gear shifting.. i also ordered same tire as you have )
Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 AM
themarsman
Racer

High production numbers, a one off power train with extraordinary repair/maintenance expense and NO RACING HISTORY equates to a less than average investment potential. Market values for the 980 will likely continue to slide.
Congratulations you have won the award for the most uninformed, unintelligent posts I have ever read on this forum!

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by themarsman
Congratulations you have won the award for the most uninformed, unintelligent posts I have ever read on this forum!

Keep up the good work!
Now that's funny
Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,246 Likes on 610 Posts

I feel like as the porsche brand moves more into technology and digital feel, the analog CGT will be looked at the way I look at an f40 now- appreciating the rawness. As the f40 evolved into the f50 (pass) and the enzo (awesome, but more tech and less involved) and now the FXX, 599xx 599GT0, etc

there will always be a faster car down the road somewhere, but in the end these cars are emotional purchases and if you enjoy them, it's worth whatever you pay.

I'm loving every mile behind the wheel of mine
Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,246 Likes on 610 Posts

also- for the 700k that the 918 is going to cost...I think the 325k CGT looks like a bargain.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I feel like as the porsche brand moves more into technology and digital feel, the analog CGT will be looked at the way I look at an f40 now- appreciating the rawness. As the f40 evolved into the f50 (pass) and the enzo (awesome, but more tech and less involved) and now the FXX, 599xx 599GT0, etc

there will always be a faster car down the road somewhere, but in the end these cars are emotional purchases and if you enjoy them, it's worth whatever you pay.

I'm loving every mile behind the wheel of mine
+1

except the last phrase, I have only made a few hundred klm with one.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

If you love Porsche...the CGT is the ultimate prize! The cold start up is a wonderful way to start your day.

Quick Reply: Your opinion, will the CGT drop in price once the 918 comes out?? If yes, by how much