Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Fiber Interior

I have a Turbo S on order Ice Blue so a Nov. Build. I have it spec with just about all of the Carbon Fiber opts that Porsche offers I really like the look and wanted the car to be different than other normal builds. But I have been getting tons of advice to stay away from Porsche Carbon fiber been told it will peel fade and turn yellow. Was to ask in this section how the GT owners felt about their CF.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time it will be my toy car. So it will never be parked in sun but being a cab it will get extra exposure to sun.

Am I making a big mistake going with CF should I go back to leather. Or does anyone have anything good to say about CF is there any kind of protectant that anyone has used with success.

If I can I would rather keep CF but I don't want a car falling apart in four years.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 PM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know if I buy the carbon fiber comments. I've been around (and raced) Porsches for years, most with carbon fiber dashes (including my current cars). I've never seen this peeling or yellowing. Before picking up my CGT last week, I looked at 5-6 others (some for sale, some not). They were all 5+ years old (with low mileage though) - never noticed any of what you described. If it were me, go with what you like - sounds like you take good care of your cars and I'm sure you will be fine.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by MikeGT
I don't know if I buy the carbon fiber comments. I've been around (and raced) Porsches for years, most with carbon fiber dashes (including my current cars). I've never seen this peeling or yellowing. Before picking up my CGT last week, I looked at 5-6 others (some for sale, some not). They were all 5+ years old (with low mileage though) - never noticed any of what you described. If it were me, go with what you like - sounds like you take good care of your cars and I'm sure you will be fine.
Thanks. Mike was hoping for some good news on CF. Yes I take extremely good care of my car. Wife walked out to garage this evening told me if I rubbed and pampered her as much as my car she would be nicer. Told her my car has yet to be mean and has never not fully preformed for me opps did it again. Move over Harley company in doghouse again.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:07 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a full CF interior on an 02 996TT X50, and a CF rear wing. I live in South Texas, so it sees plenty of sun year round. I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the CF pieces, and they look like new, absolutely no fading or yellowing at all. Highly recommended.
http://www.303products.com/
Old 07-06-2010, 01:42 AM
donnie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cgt shows yellowing on the doors. Strangely not any other parts including the exterior rear cf.

I'm not sure how widespread this is but I know vralexander had the same issue with his.

I have not head of peeling...only yellowing.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read where some Ferrari Scuderias with the CF motor compartment pieces have had yellowing due to heat exposure on the epoxy, as I recall. Do a search on FerrariChat.com
Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

2000 Mercedes SL has carbon fiber and no problems. Never applied any kind of protectant. I thought it was supposed to be durable.

By the way when I was shopping for my 997 I looked at a lot of dashboards of varying ages and the only defect I found was on a full leather dash that appeared to be warped over the glovebox area.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by jasvoboda
2000 Mercedes SL has carbon fiber and no problems. Never applied any kind of protectant. I thought it was supposed to be durable.

By the way when I was shopping for my 997 I looked at a lot of dashboards of varying ages and the only defect I found was on a full leather dash that appeared to be warped over the glovebox area.
Starting to feel somewhat better about CF. I have myself seen some very bad looking leather. I took that as improperly cared for. I take care of my stuff. I like leather if CF is a bad product from Porsche I would change back to leather but everyone has leather really wanted to be a little different. I plan on keeping this car till I can no longer drive a sports car. Will be 50 next year so I plan on a min of 20 yrs.
But I expect it to look somewhat as good then as it did when new other than normal wear and tear.

Already use 303 so That will not be a problem.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Donnie,
Are you using anything on your carbon fiber to clean or protect?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

donnie,

is that a puma in your sig?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two friends with Carrera GTs... they both have yellowing inside the door panels...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM
donnie
Track Day

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Donnie,
Are you using anything on your carbon fiber to clean or protect?
Nothing - previous owner I font know. Ive just had the cgt a couple weeks.

WHats worth using? But perhaps too late now...?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 AM
donnie
Track Day

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
donnie,

is that a puma in your sig?
Thats my lambo! It gets driven somewhat less now the cgt is in the garage
Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
donnie
Track Day

Originally Posted by niche
I have two friends with Carrera GTs... they both have yellowing inside the door panels...
Gj325, seems that this is a common thing.

I wouldnt not get CF though because of it...luckily its an attractive shade of yellow.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Gj325
Pro

Thanks for everyones input. Leaning toward staying with the CF and using 303 on reg. Basis Love the look so if I don't I will always regret it's what I want if it fails leather shop here I come.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Interior