Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am thinking of purchasing this carrera gt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM
TudorMiron
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be put away by statements that car can not be restored in new like condition. Yes it will be expensive but it is doable and easily doable by a competent shop. Composite tub IS reparable (not cheap) and it's done routinly to race cars. It doesn't loose anything in strength or stiffness (it does gain weight thought but it’s about nothing for such a heavy car) if done by competent shop. Also I don’t see that this tub is damaged extensively – may be minor damage at front/left/lower corner and suspension mounting points. Left front suspension would have to be replaced and front subframe inspected and replaced if needed. I’m not saying that this would be less expensive than buying clean one but if you work with good racing shop (think LMP/ALMS/GT teams) it may be feasible. They do similar work after each racing meeting. If you try doing repairs with Porsche dealer you would not be happy. Not because they are bad – simply because this car is much more of a racing machine than your normal P car and out of their scope.

All this is IMHO and not meant to offend anyone.

Thank You
Ted

PS: By racing standards this is a minor damage and would it happen in qualifying this car will make it to the racing grid in perfect shape - overnight. But again - I'm not saying that this will be inexpensive and you need to know right people.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM
fast lane
Racer

For the kind of money you're looking at dropping on that busted gt you could get a new gt2. Is this a real post or are you trolling. If this is a real post I'm not trying to offend you but buying that car is CRAZY.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:40 PM
future
Banned

I know this is a bit of an off topic post but I just came across this vid on youtube which shows a workshop repairing a CF bumper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkaybqCOUD8

I'm not sure what car the bumper is from though - Either which way I found it interesting
Old 05-09-2008, 02:01 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DM1
+1
totally true .. !! 110% true ...

i re-built a 1975 yatch in the most professional way. Work of art.

4 years ... bunch and loads of money, and i realize now the big mistake it was.

will never be able to recover even a fraction of the money.

As long as you keep the unit fine, but when the selling time is up,
is gonna be a total mess and loose of money ...
Old 05-17-2008, 10:32 AM
abolfaz
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

I know this car, the guy detailing the car for the owner decided to take it out for a spin and VIOLA! I think its going to need well over $100k in parts, 1/4 panel, bumpers, front nose, fender, wheels, suspension, undertrays etc. At the end of the day you got a salvage title high mile CGT, that in one piece may only be worth somewhere in the mid 300's if it didn't have the salvage title. The owner is a friend of mine, he's had four wrecked CGT's over the last year, all have ended up overseas.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM
eride996
Intermediate

we'll i know 2 guys that rebuilt CGTs. both of which look 100%. one of the techs is Carlos from Beverly Hills porsche, who was flown out by a customer to look at the damage and estimate repairs. they bought fixed and it looks cherry. the other is the infamous Todd from 911parts.com the largiest junkyard of porsches, he took to cgt's thee front of one and rear of another and built it back.
from the looks of the pic you have a $9k bumper, 16k front intakes, 16K in wheels, fenders unknown,
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

May be with the help of On line forums the guy might be able to do all the work himself,who knows...after all he is on budget....
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast lane
For the kind of money you're looking at dropping on that busted gt you could get a new gt2. Is this a real post or are you trolling. If this is a real post I'm not trying to offend you but buying that car is CRAZY.
+1

Quick Reply: I am thinking of purchasing this carrera gt!