CGT Wheel alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default CGT Wheel alternatives

Whilst I think the stock wheels look fabulous and suit the car perfectly, I have been looking at alternatives since I don't fancy having to buy a new one when/if that pothole takes its toll !

993RSR was a step ahead and actually has BBS racers on his:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/354699-new-wheels-and-brakes.html
His sizes seem to be dictated to which track tyres he can fit - I was looking for direct replacements in factory sizes.....

BBS racers can be made in exact factory sizes. Apparently they use the Magnesium centres "for a technical reason" (centrelock) and the centres are 18". They then use 19" rim halves for the front and 20" for the back.
The price for the set is around $6700US + VAT.

Here is a pic of the DP car with some kind of BBS look - not sure what they are, apparently they didn't buy them direct from BBS.....

Has anyone come accross any other VIABLE alternatives ?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM
GBGT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neez makes really nice center lock wheels for the Enzo. You might want to give them a call and see if they can be applied in some way to the CGT.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I personally really like BBS-look wheels, but I think those wheels and the other photos of those wheels on the CGT look horrendous. They are very small looking also.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Whilst I think the stock wheels look fabulous and suit the car perfectly, I have been looking at alternatives since I don't fancy having to buy a new one when/if that pothole takes its toll !
REAL men buy extra sets of factory wheels for damage control
Old 07-02-2007, 06:06 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 104 Posts

TB, the wheels on the grey car are the same as mine, i.e BBS 19" all round. They also have the same P Zero Corsa tyres as mine.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:03 PM
redpackage
Advanced

I agree, the wheels shown above are 19" rims with the intermediate Pirellis on board. IMHO, this solution grips better at the track but doesn't look as good as the OEM's. On the Leno video you'll see the BBS 18" racing wheels with Michelin slicks. This looks better. I'll tell you how they drive at the track after a 2 day event this week.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than BBS, I know HRE has made a set for a CGT in the Competition line. Forgeline and Fikse should also be able to make wheels. If money is less of an object, Dymag can make wheels for any make and model but it takes time and money. They are carbon fiber barrels with magnesium centers. The set I messed with for the GT3 were 36lbs with Hoosiers installed if I remember correctly. They are beautifully made pieces and incredibly lightweight. http://www.dymag-usa.com/product/

Wes
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GBGT
Neez makes really nice center lock wheels for the Enzo. You might want to give them a call and see if they can be applied in some way to the CGT.
i must agree neez makes a very light wheel..here's the link http://www.neez.co.jp/wheels/index.html
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBS motorsport had a set that looked like the M3 competition rims
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by redpackage
I agree, the wheels shown above are 19" rims with the intermediate Pirellis on board. IMHO, this solution grips better at the track but doesn't look as good as the OEM's. On the Leno video you'll see the BBS 18" racing wheels with Michelin slicks. This looks better. I'll tell you how they drive at the track after a 2 day event this week.
When I used the 19" BBS and Pirelli configuration during the morning the tyres did indeed offer more grip and reduce the car's tendency to understeer. However as I pushed the car during the afternoon the tyres started to overheat. Also the traction control was very active exiting corners under power. The tyres had also rubbed the arch liners in rear.

They had certainly overheated and I would suggest that the higher aspect ratio 35/30 and 19" vs. 20" were the major contributor to the loose back end.
There's an extra 1" sidewall thickness on the rear which could well have affected the TC sensitivity. I also spoke to Michelin who said that the OE tyre had been designed specifically for the CGT and that they had no intention of making a Pilot Sport Cup in the OE sizes.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Just finished 2 days at the track with Michelin slicks and BBS wheels. The change from Pirelli intermediates to the slicks was as great or greater than the change from OEM PS2's to the Pirelli intermediates. There was monster front grip and a big improvement over the intermediates (in part due to the grater width). Negative camber was set to 1.8 degrees front and 2.0 degrees rear. No other changes in the set up other than a steering rack limiter. Ride height was lowered due to the slightly smaller diameter.

If you track your car, I highly recommend this as the way to go. Enjoyment factor was high.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

I have a friend who has also run his car on slicks / BBS - the car is probably capable of generating 2g or more of grip in slow turns, perhaps more in fast turns with the benefit of downforce, compared to perhaps 1.3-1.4g on the OEM tyres.

I think one day I will have to try this too!

Kind regards

Steve
Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Planning another trip to the track at the end of July and expect to have data acquisition from the same track to compare Pirelli intermediates and the Michelin slicks. At that time I can share the peak g's from acceleration, turns and braking.
Biggest surprises form the slicks included ability for the cgt to accelerate out of the turns with stability (under power, it was very hard to get the back to step out, and if it did, it was easilty controllable, i.e. the car communicated well) and the almost ferocious braking experience (with no lock up or ABS) which rewards the driver in 5th-6th gear straights dropping down to 3rd gear turns.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Do CGTs have the 5x130 bolt pattern? If so some Cayenne wheels would probably fit...well so would any other P-car's but the Cayennes are big enough.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Do CGTs have the 5x130 bolt pattern? If so some Cayenne wheels would probably fit...well so would any other P-car's but the Cayennes are big enough.
No

Carrera GTs use center-lock wheels with one-off, castellated hub fasteners.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: CGT Wheel alternatives