Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Steep hill starts

Er.........How ?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:51 AM
jay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be safe you can use the emergency brake and release the clutch without touching the gas or you can put your right foot on the brake and release the clutch, when the revs start to recover(just before engagement) you release the brake and your off. You will get a feel for it. I have done both ways on steep hills and it works fine.

Jay
'05 CGT
'89 930S cab
'79 930
Old 04-28-2007, 01:44 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jay72
To be safe you can use the emergency brake and release the clutch without touching the gas or you can put your right foot on the brake and release the clutch, when the revs start to recover(just before engagement) you release the brake and your off. You will get a feel for it. I have done both ways on steep hills and it works fine.

Jay
'05 CGT
'89 930S cab
'79 930
Jay
Thanks for the info..... I must be a worse driver than I thought, I have been out "practicing" on a quiet road with a decent slope and I just can't get it right

Problem is when the clutch is just about to bite and the engine recovers and the revs sort of blip upwards slightly that is the critical moment when things go wrong as the the engine has not got enough torque to get the car moving up a slope at that "blip" phase (unlike on the flat) and unless you come on the gas at +/- 0.05s within the critcal time it stalls. I guess the clutch being quite heavy doesn't help....
Is it just practice or can you (or others) give any more tips -thankfully other road users seem happily amused at my traffic light stalling antics

Last edited by TB993tt; 04-28-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:53 PM
jay72
Racer

Try to release the clutch a little slower at the time it just starts to bite. The computer will compensate the proper amount of revs for the "load". You will hear the revs increase slightly as the computer is doing its job to get the car going. Use the emergency brake or the brake pedal just prior to engagement to prevent rolling.

Jay
'05 CGT
'89 930S cab
'79 930
Old 04-28-2007, 02:22 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Er.........How ?
Uhhhh..... Yeah, It is a nightmare! I try and know where a steep hill is coming up and time my arrival so I don't get caught on it. Possibly an other way is to pull over out of traffic until you can get a 'traffic free' shot at the steep hill area.

I know it's a 'pain in the ***' situation, but other than being embarrassing too, if you kill the engine in traffic (I've done that 2 or 3 times myself), it could be dangerous and costly if somebody 'rear-ends' you! As they always said on 'Hill Street Blues'..... "Let's be careful out there!" Mags
Old 04-28-2007, 02:57 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay, if you really have mastered the hill start, you are my hero

I've tried very hard to do what you say but my ECU doesn't seem to want to give the umph off idle to get the thing going up the incline. My pal who's a Porsche 997 Cup racer suggested holding the revs at 2K at letting out with minimal slip -that doesn't work either, it has to be 3K or it stalls and then the starts are mega jerky and still hit or miss whether it stalls or not.

I am with you magwheel, for now I going to "plan" the approaches to hill start situations. I'm going to let my cup racer mate try it next week and see if he has some magic

I also understood that my tuner RS were developing an alternative conventional clutch set up which I will also investigate.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:01 PM
jay72
Racer

You must to talking about an extremely steep hill.......
Old 04-28-2007, 07:07 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Did all CGT's have the hill start assist. I was under the impression that the hill start programming was a 2005 model edition and 2004's (except possibly lates) did not have it. I have ridden in an early model which the same owner stalled numerous times from flat grades to medium hills, then when he got his 2005 it was like a completely different car. The dealer told him just as Jay says, slowly let out the clutch and let the computer do the work. Never stalled once while out driving. Not sure if this is relevent, but I could understand if the OP was trying to do the correct method and was failing because of a misunderstanding.

Wes
Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 PM
themarsman
Racer

My car is a 2004 #248 and it starts up hills with no problem, it is the easiest stick shift car I have ever driven up hills because you can keep your left foot on the brake until the clutch engages then transition to the gas.

I haven't tried to drive the car on very steep grades, but I have never had any problem on any of the roads in Michigan.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:00 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Originally Posted by themarsman
My car is a 2004 #248 and it starts up hills with no problem, it is the easiest stick shift car I have ever driven up hills because you can keep your left foot on the brake until the clutch engages then transition to the gas.

I haven't tried to drive the car on very steep grades, but I have never had any problem on any of the roads in Michigan.
Not to get off topic, but have you driven any new manual BMW's. Our E90 325i had the hill assist where it holds the brakes for 5 seconds or until the car reaches 5mph to stop you from rolling back. It was really nice...I kind of miss it having to start the RS4 on grades can be fun.

Wes
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by whakiewes
Not to get off topic, but have you driven any new manual BMW's. Our E90 325i had the hill assist where it holds the brakes for 5 seconds or until the car reaches 5mph to stop you from rolling back. It was really nice...I kind of miss it having to start the RS4 on grades can be fun.

Wes
I have not driven a BMW with this assist, it sounds like a great idea though.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:42 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Kind of pointless though (unless your driving a CGT though I suppose) because if you know how to drive a stick, your not going to roll backwards on a hill (a noticible amount), I dont care what size it is. Just one more thing to go wrong IMO.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:32 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 99 Posts

TB, never had an issue, I either let the clutch out very slowly and move off, or if there are cars behind (to avoid stalling with an audience) give it a bit of throttle when releasing the clutch. Works fine.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW's hill start assist is awesome. I don't care what your ego is around driving stick, it is nice to have hill start assist.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

RS and marsman
Thanks for the input #248 is pretty close to mine (#114) so I'm not sure I buy the software story- sounds like its my poor leg coordination, although on the flat its exactly as you describe, no issue....
I'm going to see if my pal Phil Hindley can make it do a slope and take some lessons

Quick Reply: Steep hill starts