Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Colm, congrats on getting your CGT!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Colm, all this talk of 599's and such ... these days anything less than Mach 0.84 is slow as far as I am concerned

On a serious note, I am on the list for the 430 CS (or whatever it will be called). While I admire the C-GT and have driven one, I cannot reconcile the cost of ownership. I guess I am cheap when it comes down to it

best,
Monsieur Rouleau you have fine, fine taste in automobiles.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Colm ! Best of luck with it ! You have a true gem...mine has been a complete joy to me.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Nick

Let me apologize if my comments are viewed by you as a personnel attack, there was no such intent or desire.

What I had intended, and do intend is to refute, when and where appropriate, your endless, unobjective and mindless Porsche bashing in favor of Ferrari. The numerous comments you make here (and on other sites) speak volumes about your bias(es). Your attempts to characterize the CGT as poorly designed car, for whatever obvious and hidden agenda(s) (while your opinion) are tiresome and apaparently groundless.

As a user and observer the CGT it is light years of both the F430 and 599, and I like both of those cars a great deal. In fact my next car after the RS should be a 599 (unless a 430 Stradale? gets in the way).

As far as the CGT biting me, well it is no more likely to bite me than a GT2, and less likely because I don't consider myself a great driver and stay within my physical limits, that said I recognize that stuff happens. I won't be demonstrating the car at triple digit speeds on the track either, it's not my thing. Even though I am a "chicken" and ultra conservative, I do consider myself a great fan of excellent engineering, hence the CGT.

I will enjoy owning the masterpiece (CGT), thank you for the good wishes, and repeated apologies for any persnoal attack you construe.
I am glad to read that you understand that the wondeful state of the art engineering of the CGT is soley directed toward speed and not anything else. It is a road legal race car endowed with speed charateristic's which reward race drivers at their best and severely punishes the inattentive driver.

My opinion of Porsche is biased against them and I readily admit it. They make an excellent sport car which has been tweaked ad infinitum while literally picking the pockets of its very devoted customer base. I believe the CGT was a seminal change for Porsche which I was very happy to see(came very close to buying one). Unfortunately, though they position it as a road car it really was not. I remain extremely dubious that the car is safe for spirited road drivng. On a track with unobstructed bailout areas it would be a blast to drive. That is the venue where the CGT will shine.

Colm anyone who has owned a GT2, GT 3 and a Ferrari has to be a pretty damn good driver.

Bob, you hit the nail on the head regarding the chassis composition. Minor impacts are very costly often leading to very expensive repairs. I witnessed the entire car torn apart and have some appreciation what went into making the chassis and passenger tub. On that I have no more to say.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
I would take a used 05 with less than 2k miles. In my humble opinion it is the most beauftiful in the world, and the sounds....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...78012896QQrdZ1

No affiliation.

Last edited by BillJ; 01-05-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a mere reference point, with no intention or information regarding F430/599 vs. CGT, carbon fiber has been known for years to be more dangerous than its aluminum counterparts. Although the yield strength and total strength of CF are higher than aluminum, it doesn't give much in the way of forgiveness. When it breaks, it shatters into very sharp projectiles. I am no engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. On a serious note though, I have witnessed the result of carbon fiber hoods and such on cars shattering. Porsche/Ferrari/others get around this by having what I call 'seperating' thirds. Front, cabin, rear...designed so that the carbon never becomes dangerous and instead of transfering all the load to the driver, much of the impact is spread when the car falls apart. The only impact I wouldn't want to be in in the CGT is a side impact where the chassis busts. Otherwise a very safe car!

Also, the 599 hasn't struck me in the looks catagory either. I saw one in person at our Ferrari/Porsche dealer on Friday when I was ordering parts. It was next to a silver 575, and I honestly thought the 575 had more sex appeal to it.

Congratulations on getting a CGT Colm. Its an honor only a select few Americans will ever hold, and I bet there will never be a day you will regret buying it.

Wes
Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Ryan962
2nd Gear

congrats and please post pics asap....
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

Colm anyone who has owned a GT2, GT 3 and a Ferrari has to be a pretty damn good driver.

(
With all due respect to Colm who probably is a very good driver, your statement (above) is absolute rubbish. There is only one requirement to purchase/own any of the above-referenced vehicles and that's the ability to write a check.

Even the Enzo, sold only to "qualified" owners by Ferrari seem to end up totaled at a pretty alarming rate. Never assume that just because someone can afford a high end sports car that they have driving skills.

MC
Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Congratulations Colm. I have little doubt that you will love your car.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

When will we see pictures of your car? If you have it before Jan 31 you should bring it to Laguna Seca. I am interested to know how it compares to your 430.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's on the Intercity truck, due to arrive next Mon/Tue, but wouldn't you know I will be out of town. I am supposed to get a call today confirming delivery. I did get the Certificate of Origin yesterday!!

Also, I can't make LS on January 31, I'm traveling pretty much up the the end of February, time for some summer vacation "down under".

Photos....who knows when, not my thing!

Comparison the F430, I'll never tell, they are not in the same league so no comparison is justified, now If I had an Enzo I might be tempted to tell you how much better the CGT performed!!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Wasn't saying they are comparable, was just asking for a frame of reference. The CGT is a supercar and clearly in a league of its own.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:38 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Colm,

Hope you have a lot of plans this weekend, to keep your mind busy, while the final two days pass until your new car arrives! Congrats, that is hands down my favorite car and someday one will be in my garage too!

JCM
Old 01-21-2007, 12:33 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

To pass the time, I'm in Vail, at the Porsche Ice driving school (Camp4). the car should arrive a day before I return, but no call yet from the driver.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
It's on the Intercity truck, due to arrive next Mon/Tue, but wouldn't you know I will be out of town.
I'll be available to drop by and take delivery for you. I'm happy to check the gearbox in all gears to the redline, test the brakes and ABS ... you know, all the usual "delivery" stuff ...

Quick Reply: Secret Revealed