Sponsored by:

CGT - Misc. Ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:16 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CGT - Misc. Ramblings

Caution - the following can be disregarded as it contains car drivel from a junkie.........

I decided to take an early morning pre-xmas run through the Las Vegas area in the CGT; after finally breaking the 1,000 mile break-in period, I was now free to rev to redline and wanted to feel and sense all that glory (btw - took only 8 months to put 1,000 miles on it!) the P-car had to offer. In a word (and well known by fellow CGT rennlisters), unbelievable!

A few raw observations that you have all known for some time and that I have only experienced briefly prior to "liberating" my right foot:

- Power AND stability are breathtaking - bursts to 160mph from 80 were easily accomplished, all the while chassis stability, road feel, handling and overall stability, were beyond excellent
- To compare this car to a Stradale or F430 is totally inappropriate; the chassis stiffness, power, sounds and stability aren't in the same league. Love my Stradale and love my 430, but they are in different leagues.
- The potential of this car is so much greater than what I will be able to drive the car; grip (limited by tires) and ability to rotate, chassis feel, combined with the power, would allow very impressive results on any track, but for tight, twisty and slow tracks.
- The chassis stiffness and handling are very similar to my GT-3 World Challenge car, except that the track car has about 125 horsepower less.
- Sounds at high speeds and wide open throttle to redline are other-worldly
- The only other car that I have driven that would seem to be directly comparable is the Bugatti Veyron (haven't driven an Enzo)
- I can see how a number of people can get over their heads in this car; it does so much so well and so easily - as such, it would be easy for someone to get a false sense of courage and accomplishment.

What a car!

Happy holidays to all!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:01 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nice to hear you are enjoying the car fred!
that's not even 29 miles a week.
you must travel a lot?
did you feel the increased weight of the veyron?
how would you compare the two?
i know the veyron is extremely fast but i think i would be turned off by the
feel of all that weight in the way the car handles.
not to mention the unusual look of the car.
cgt is still my fav!!!
happy holidays,
jeff
Old 12-26-2006, 12:48 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
that's not even 29 miles a week....
i know the veyron is extremely fast but i think i would be turned off by the
feel of all that weight in the way the car handles.
I am surprised the CGT's tires weren't flat spotted actually, mileage came in clumps of 50 to 200; shame the car doesn't get the priority call, as the Cup car has been garnering most of the attention on available weekends. Plus, living in a 24-hour drinking city, very poor drivers and construction everywhere, affords me many excuses "not" to drive the CGT...

My impression of the Veyron was analogous to a CGT on steriods; didn't think the steering was that heavy (btw - the CGT steering does feel a lot heavier than the 360 CS and F430), but chassis stiffness and responsiveness reminded me much like the CGT. The Veyron totally overwhelms with power, torque and lightning quick shifts; that is one car that someone could really get over their heads (and fighter jet pilot's licenese should be mandatory). CGT is bad enough as to deluding one into a sense of security, all the while travelling at very illegal speeds.........

In the end, the CGT is tremendous performance/value for the dollars, particularly when one considers that 430 spyders are selling for the same amount as used CGTs, Enzo's being well over $1M, and the beloved Bugatti being priced close to a new Honda jet!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:17 AM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thusly - I'm in week one of ownership and currently running in - however, I am in the fortunate position of having 2 weeks off over Christmas so plan to complete running in very soon!

One interesting point on the break in period is that having read this forum all the US owners refer to 1,000 miles. Whereas the book supplied with my car talks about 1,000km or 650 miles. I'm not that worried by the discrepancy as I know from the factory that the key thing is not revving hard with the engine cold (which one would never do anyway) - using all the revs even at low mileage is fine as long as not for prolonged periods.

Whilst the weather is less than ideal in the UK I am looking forward to exploring the car fully very soon.

Festive greetings.

Steve

Quick Reply: CGT - Misc. Ramblings