Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a CGT - to tune or not to tune...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by netburner
Up to know there are 4 cars I know which are tuned. 1 by 9ff (only another exhaust and some little technical things, around 650hp now), 1 by TechArt (you may know it, ex-GT-Silver one, now orange painted car of a german guy, got around 650 - 660 hp I think) and 2 cars tuned by Gemballa to Gemballa Mirage GT, both with only the little power upgrade to 660-670hp, but Gemballa say they will build a Turbo for 1000hp.
RS Tuning have done around 10 engines - do NOT let just anyone touch your CGT, spend the $$ and get the best
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/269010-serious-tuning-for-the-cgt.html
Old 12-08-2006, 02:19 PM
leonardtay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooooh thank you. This is exactly what I had in mind. 730 bhp seems about right and I have heard good things about RS tuning. TB993tt, what are your thoughts on 9ff?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:40 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Had no idea RS tuning has already modified a few cars and stand corrected. Awesome, frankly. Bearing in mind that just an oil change on this car costs a small fortune, the exercise would probably buy a brace of Honda civics. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:28 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leonardtay
ooooh thank you. This is exactly what I had in mind. 730 bhp seems about right and I have heard good things about RS tuning. TB993tt, what are your thoughts on 9ff?
I would not comment on 9ff.......ask some questions around the forums.
A CGT with an RS engine is one of the few automotive things which lights my fire - the stock CGT is a great car but needs some extra magic IMHO
My 993tt running 520hp kept up to 140mph.......
http://media.putfile.com/CGTv993tt
Old 12-09-2006, 02:07 AM
leonardtay
Instructor

Originally Posted by TB993tt
A CGT with an RS engine is one of the few automotive things which lights my fire - the stock CGT is a great car but needs some extra magic IMHO
My 993tt running 520hp kept up to 140mph.......
http://media.putfile.com/CGTv993tt
You would not comment because you do not know their work well enough or you would not comment because you have unflaterring things to say and don't think it would be appropriate?

btw your video is listed as SL55 vs CGT in youtube.... just thought to let you know.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Thomas g.
Intermediate

[QUOTE=netburner]
In my oppinion the now existing around 1100 cars of the former 1270 (yeah, there were many written off due to accidents) QUOTE]

160 of 1270 wrecked in only two years? That's a huge number. Where did you get that figure?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 AM
netburner
Instructor

[QUOTE=Thomas g.]
Originally Posted by netburner
In my oppinion the now existing around 1100 cars of the former 1270 (yeah, there were many written off due to accidents) QUOTE]

160 of 1270 wrecked in only two years? That's a huge number. Where did you get that figure?
I have a figure of 110 cars from a member of the paint-shop, which painted all CGTs for Porsche. They got that figure from Porsche. But I don't know, if every 110 are written off. I heard of some cars being restored in the factory in Leipzig with spare-chassis.

And the car is around since 2003, so there were 3 years for so much accidents, which won't make it any better. But if you look around in the internet you will find enough destroyed cars, specially in the US (I only know 3 cars from outside US, one in Holland, one in Germany and one in Dubai), all others I know were destroyed within accidents in the US plus one for the film "Red Line".
Old 12-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

A
whats is the problem with 9ff? they make work of art with their engines really really fast thy proved their ability some week ago by taking the world fastest convertible on Nardo speed track with 380 km/h.

if i had the luck to tune a cgt i will ask 9ff or gemballa or ruf to twinturbo it.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:56 PM
leonardtay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jiaim
whats is the problem with 9ff? they make work of art with their engines really really fast thy proved their ability some week ago by taking the world fastest convertible on Nardo speed track with 380 km/h.

if i had the luck to tune a cgt i will ask 9ff or gemballa or ruf to twinturbo it.
Jiaim, thank you for your input on 9ff but I do not suppose you have personal experience with their work? I have seen the articles on them and their modifications are TuV approvable as well.... which is a nice plus.... plus Jan, one of the Directors is a really nice guy.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:21 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jiaim
You need to get some experience before making recommendations like this
Old 12-10-2006, 08:27 AM
leonardtay
Instructor

You need to get some experience before making recommendations like this
No worries about that, each has their own preference and views. But I am still searching for someone who has actually had 9ff work on their car doing something more than bolt on tuning. If you know anyone, would be deeply grateful if you could point me in their direction. Cheers!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:46 PM
bergmeister
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I would only use rs tuning at the moment,although i do have a good contact,a personal friend who is ex suaber merc f1 and lemans sauber merc.He is the man to do the engine,but it will be as expensive as rs tuning.
No half measures with this guy,he is going to build me a lift kit for the gt,the same as he has built on a 962 road car.It works very well,at the flick of a switch it raises 70mm.
Nothing wrong with tuning a cgt engine for sure.
The CGT does not need any extra magic,it can make up around a corner what it cant do in a straight line.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:00 PM
leonardtay
Instructor

Originally Posted by bergmeister
I would only use rs tuning at the moment,although i do have a good contact,a personal friend who is ex suaber merc f1 and lemans sauber merc.He is the man to do the engine,but it will be as expensive as rs tuning.
No half measures with this guy,he is going to build me a lift kit for the gt,the same as he has built on a 962 road car.It works very well,at the flick of a switch it raises 70mm.
Nothing wrong with tuning a cgt engine for sure.
The CGT does not need any extra magic,it can make up around a corner what it cant do in a straight line.
I think I could sell one of those lift kits to my GT driving frens in China.... how much you think it would cost to get installed?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:03 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Just completed my second full season tracking the car. The modifications pursued, in order, were: 1) a race harness and HANS; 2) a Recaro racing seat because I was getting thrown around in the car even with a harness and couldn't finish a one hour track session with the OEM seat. 3) due to my height, I needed more headroom and took the seat tracks out. Now I can finally relax in the car at speed with my helmet and HANS. 4) I have ordered new wheels and slicks for next season from Manthey in Germany as the OEM MSP2's don't give me the grip that others have on the same track. I still can't use all of the original power and have no plans to upgrade the engine. I anticipate that my gratest enjoyment on the track will come from the comfort, safety and grip of these mods.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 PM
leonardtay
Instructor

Originally Posted by redpackage
Just completed my second full season tracking the car. The modifications pursued, in order, were: 1) a race harness and HANS; 2) a Recaro racing seat because I was getting thrown around in the car even with a harness and couldn't finish a one hour track session with the OEM seat. 3) due to my height, I needed more headroom and took the seat tracks out. Now I can finally relax in the car at speed with my helmet and HANS. 4) I have ordered new wheels and slicks for next season from Manthey in Germany as the OEM MSP2's don't give me the grip that others have on the same track. I still can't use all of the original power and have no plans to upgrade the engine. I anticipate that my gratest enjoyment on the track will come from the comfort, safety and grip of these mods.
I totally agree with the mods you have done for tracking. Definitely a lowered full race seat is a must for serious track work.... that plus it saves the stock seats from the abrasion from the racing harness

What wheels and tyres are you intending to use may I ask?

I too find the MSP2s are not up to the task. I was thinking perhaps the MSP Cup might be better in the dry.

Quick Reply: Tuning a CGT - to tune or not to tune...