Sponsored by:

For all the C-GT Haters

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 997TT might stay with the CGT in a straight line for a while, but on a track, I think not.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:08 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

There is no way a 460 hp 3500 lb car will stay with a 605 hp 3100 lb car. It is not possible!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You should have bought one at that price.

I do hope the CGT price stabilizes. It is a special car for the right type of driver/owner. Unfortunately, Porsche is doing everything it can to diminish the value of the car. Again on another site, it is being reported that the 997 TT will stay with the CGT up to speeds of 160mph. With AWD the 997 TT will be a fierce competitor on the track for the average driver.

BTW, I saw that video on another site and honestly the Ferrari driver exercised poor judgment. He needed my RED longjohns to moderate his actions.
Nick most of the time you seem like an intelligent person, but some of the statements you make have me wondering at times.

How could a car that weighs substantially more and has substantially less horsepower keep up with a car 0 - 160 mph? I can write anything I want on the internet, everything you read has to be read with a grain of salt. I would wager that on a 0-160mph run against the CGT the 997TT wouldn't even be visible in the CGT's rear view mirror. I just hope the new 997TT isn't too much slower than the Z06, but from the numbers that Porsche is releasing it looks like it won't keep up with the corvette in a straight line.

I own a 730hp 993TT and I am not sure that it would keep up with the CGT from 0-160mph.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:59 PM
rafo
8th Gear

Nick, your posts about the CGT all reek of sour grapes.

Look, if you are going to buy a 997tt --congrats. It is a great car; enjoy it and don't worry about the CGTs out there. I guarantee you the CGTs you see on the street, if you ever see one, will not want to race you. So you have nothing to prove. Besides, you can nail it to 50-60mph, back off, and pretend you car is as fast. The CGT owner won't mind. Also, since you likely won't be driving faster than 100mph (if even 80mph) on most days, your car will be fast enough. No worries.

997TT will keep up with the CGT to 60 mph, not 160 mph. 997TT will keep up for about 4 seconds and then it is finished. 0-60 on CGT is traction limited so CGT would be ahead maybe by a few car lengths @ 60mph. After that, the 997tt can forget it.

0-160mph CGT vs 997TT: themarsman is right; unless the cars are going uphill, I guarantee you the 997tt would be out of sight.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
I own a 730hp 993TT and I am not sure that it would keep up with the CGT from 0-160mph.
This statement seems to answer your question regarding how a car of equal weight with more hp can nevertheless NOT perform as well. I agree internet statement s should be taken with a grain of salt. However, the person posting the numbers has very close contacts with Porsche in Germany.

Will the 997TT out perform the CGT. Not a chance. For the average driver, will he/she be able to perform better in the the 997TT than a CGT? More than likely .

Rafo, I would not own a 997TT because they are going to produce a zillion of them and they look just like every other Porsche model. The CGT certainly was a serious thought for me until Porsche double production and I began to read the reviews regarding the over the top performance with little stabilization considerations. After driving it several times and being a passenger for several hours, I made the right decision AT LEAST FOR ME .
Old 01-08-2006, 06:26 PM
themarsman
Racer

This statement seems to answer your question regarding how a car of equal weight with more hp can nevertheless NOT perform as well. I agree internet statement s should be taken with a grain of salt. However, the person posting the numbers has very close contacts with Porsche in Germany.

Will the 997TT out perform the CGT. Not a chance. For the average driver, will he/she be able to perform better in the the 997TT than a CGT? More than likely .

Rafo, I would not own a 997TT because they are going to produce a zillion of them and they look just like every other Porsche model. The CGT certainly was a serious thought for me until Porsche double production and I began to read the reviews regarding the over the top performance with little stabilization considerations. After driving it several times and being a passenger for several hours, I made the right decision AT LEAST FOR ME .
I made the statement about my 993TT because it is similiar in weight to the 997TT, but probably still a little lighter. It weighs about 20% more than the CGT and has about 20% more horsepower so based on the numbers it should be pretty close in a straight line. Obviously there are other variables such as traction, aerodynamics, gear ratio's, engine power curves, turbo lag, etc... The point I was trying to get across to you is the new 997TT would need similiar horsepower to mine to keep up with the CGT 0-160mph. Zero to sixty is another matter though as Rafo stated is all about the traction and the 997TT with all wheel drive would make it pretty close. I believe my car with all wheel drive and the extra horsepower would be faster than the CGT to sixty.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:31 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably should have read that more carefully... 0 to 160mph? haha no chance in hell a 997TT will keep up. Not even a current GT2 can keep up, and that's better power/weight than the new turbo, methinks.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:26 PM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts

hater hates.

if u have the money, enjoy it before it's too late. life's short. buy what u like NOW not how much its worth a year LATER.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:26 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it also telling that you could of bought an F40 for under 200K, I had several low mileage ones offered to me at that price. It is nice to see they are going up in value as they should, I guess it proves that even a car produced at that high of a number can still be highly collectible when the right people get ahold of them.

Nick I think I saw a video with you driving your 430, I hope you weren't wearing your long johns.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3180&q=ferrari

funny. would make a great commercial for something
Old 01-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24FPS
funny. would make a great commercial for something
Yes, it's an advertisement for how a person with the wherewithal to own a Ferrari can still be stupid.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:38 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Old 01-12-2006, 08:24 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Nick most of the time you seem like an intelligent person, but some of the statements you make have me wondering at times.

How could a car that weighs substantially more and has substantially less horsepower keep up with a car 0 - 160 mph? I can write anything I want on the internet, everything you read has to be read with a grain of salt. I would wager that on a 0-160mph run against the CGT the 997TT wouldn't even be visible in the CGT's rear view mirror. I just hope the new 997TT isn't too much slower than the Z06, but from the numbers that Porsche is releasing it looks like it won't keep up with the corvette in a straight line.

Reading this rang my alarm bells big time. My 993tt with 541 Porsche style hp does 0-160 in ~18 seconds weighing 1450kg - How long should the CGT take, is there an acceleration curve in the back of the hand book ? it does 0-186mph in ~35s and 0-124mph in ~10.4s so 21s is a very conservative 0-160mph ?

I realise the comment about the 993tt was a "throw away" line, but remember the 993tts properly tuned have torque which the CGT can dream about

BTW the comments about relative weights between 993tt and CGT do not bear scrutiny. Whilst Porsche quoted an excitingly low dry weight for the CGT, the ones the magazines got to test and weigh actually came out at 1473kg compared to an equivalent 1500kg for the 993tt - should be a close match

All the numbers from respected German mag Sport Auto can be found here: http://www.einszweidrei.de/
Old 01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Themarsman, visit the 993TT forum more often and see what those 10 year old cars are capable of No pun intended but based on the numbers posted by TB993TT above, and your earlier statements, it seems to me that your 730HP 993TT could be in fact more like 500 at best?

The CGT is an asolutely amazing car that I would own if I could but don't underestimate what lesser models can do to it both on and off the track
Old 01-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray G
Yes, it's an advertisement for how a person with the wherewithal to own a Ferrari can still be stupid.
Stupidity has its rewards. Like being stupid enough NOT to buy a CGT which may go down in automotive annals as the worst depreciating supercar ever produced. Now tell me Mr. owner of a CGT (who probably paid close to MSRP) who is the stupid one?

Theresman I was about to respond to you post on why your 750hp 993TT could not keep up with your 610hp CGT but I believe a couple of posters set the record straight.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:53 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Stupidity has its rewards. Like being stupid enough NOT to buy a CGT which may go down in automotive annals as the worst depreciating supercar ever produced. Now tell me Mr. owner of a CGT (who probably paid close to MSRP) who is the stupid one?

Theresman I was about to respond to you post on why your 750hp 993TT could not keep up with your 610hp CGT but I believe a couple of posters set the record straight.
hey it's a porsche forum. what do you expect?... also i think what's humorous 'bout that vid is that we can all somewhat relate... imho i think the guy in the vid. may be more guilty of trying to give some kids a thrill if anything... unfortunately his noise caught popo's attention.

besides it's just money. the c-gt owners that i've met happen to have a few f cars as well. (hopefully all of them drive them hard & enjoy & don't let 'em set in a garage) mho.

god knows that when i have more "means" after i've gotten the c-gt... i may sin w/ a few red heads...

Last edited by 24FPS; 01-12-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: For all the C-GT Haters