Sponsored by:

So what do you guys do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Byron_944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron_944
Wow, this whole thread has been very interesting and informative. I already read through all eight pages of it. There is lots of useful and genuine advice here, information that can truly be useful.

I’m new to Rennlist, although I’ve been a member of 968.net for some time now. My friend is in the midst of buying a 968, and being the enthusiast that I am, I’m trying to walk him through the process as best as I can. Rennlist was recommended to me by VentoGT, and I don’t know if I’ve seen a more close-knit automotive community. The comradeship here is simply astounding; it’s great how everyone is sincerely interesting in helping out other like minded enthusiasts.

I think that I, and many other teenagers on the board, all come from the same automotive motivated milieu. We grew up loving cars, and now that it’s almost time for us to work, we would like to get the highest paying job, so that our craving for high end Porsches can be adequately satisfied. I can undeniably say that I am in a similar situation to the topic starter.

I’m 16 at the moment, and I’m current a junior in High School. My passion in life is cars, but for a profession, I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer. I’m in the NYC area, so there are many firms which I have researched, Skadden Arps among them. Firms are always looking for more litigators, and such a profession will land you about 180K dollars, straight out of Law School, should you get accepted to Skadden Arps. But I see how much litigators are worked; I see how they have no life-how they work like dogs from early in the morning, to the wee hours of the night. While the money is very appealing, I don’t intend to run my life that way. So I am aiming to get a job as an Estate Lawyer, where I would make the same amount of money, yet have a 9-5 working hour schedule. It would be boring, but the work itself isn’t as important to me as having a family life. And I know I wouldn’t enjoy litigation if I got back at 1:00 every night.

Perhaps the advice I can give the topic starter is this; you can’t stop working, and money doesn’t come to you easily in life. Like they say, it doesn’t grow on trees, and you have to work to attain it. I don’t have any actual work experience yet, but thus far, that’s the best advice I can offer, however scant it may be.

I’m aiming for an Ivy League college, but I need to get top notch grades on SATs and SAT IIs, in addition to AP exams. I really have a load of work cut out for me, but hopefully, it will pay off, and I’ll get into the college of my choice.

What really motivates me is that I see people in pressing financial situations, and I see how they live from day to day, always hoping that more money will come their way. They have limited money, and thus they have to withhold some of life’s pleasures, or buy their kids one less set of presents a year. And it goes on and on. And I don’t want my life to be like that. The more I work now, the better a life my future family will have. You know, they say money can’t buy happiness, but in certain situations, I truly believe it can. There is nothing wrong with more money, and the more money one has, the less financial pitfalls he will encounter.
In the end all, I realize that life isn’t all about flamboyant dreams instantly coming true; it’s all about hard work, so that when you’re 40, you can honestly reflect on your life, and allow yourself a sense of pride. When that day comes, its time to bend open the wallet, and spring for a Carrera GT. Until then, its all hard work, but one should always keep in mind that if one truly works hard, that work will be rewarded down the line.

Well, it has been a year since I posted that ^^. I’ve worked really hard, studied much, and generally did all that I could. And I was just deferred from Princeton. Although it’s quite disappointing, I still maintain that it does not matter which college one attends. If one keeps a can-do attitude, then life will provide limitless opportunities. I’m applying to other colleges, but I thought I had the best chance at Princeton. I may very well go to a state school honors program (CUNY) if Princeton does not work out. I was wondering if anyone had advice on improving an application that was deferred. I know no one can give specific pointers, but if anyone could give general advice, I’d really appreciate it.

It’s a large and very annoying setback, as I now have to complete many regular decision applications, but as they say, life is full of small challenges.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Byron, I have found often that sometimes it takes personal investigation when dealing with beauracracies. in my case, one college to which I applied mixed applications from myself and someone with a similar sounding name. A phone call and persistence exposed the error which had resulted initially in a denial. I ultimately was admitted, but after much effort to communicate with the "authorities in charge" to clarify the situation; I agreed to re-take my college board a second time on their campus, and passe above their minimum requirement. Almost every day in my job I am involved in the same thing: probing the reasons for decisions made by "boards" and reviewers and changing their minds and decisions. It will continue all your life. Ask "why" and you shall probably be enlightened, or at least be able to deal with the "problem". Don't just walk away with your head down. Maybe someone messed up. Find out who and for what reason, and clarify it. Offer to meet in person with the Dean of Admissions. Offer to enter on probation. Offer to produce a better Statement of Purpose. Find alumni to sponsor you. But don't give up!!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:24 AM
Byron_944
Pro

Originally Posted by Ron_H
Byron, I have found often that sometimes it takes personal investigation when dealing with beauracracies. in my case, one college to which I applied mixed applications from myself and someone with a similar sounding name. A phone call and persistence exposed the error which had resulted initially in a denial. I ultimately was admitted, but after much effort to communicate with the "authorities in charge" to clarify the situation; I agreed to re-take my college board a second time on their campus, and passe above their minimum requirement. Almost every day in my job I am involved in the same thing: probing the reasons for decisions made by "boards" and reviewers and changing their minds and decisions. It will continue all your life. Ask "why" and you shall probably be enlightened, or at least be able to deal with the "problem". Don't just walk away with your head down. Maybe someone messed up. Find out who and for what reason, and clarify it. Offer to meet in person with the Dean of Admissions. Offer to enter on probation. Offer to produce a better Statement of Purpose. Find alumni to sponsor you. But don't give up!!
Thanks for the advice, Ron. I plan on sending a 'letter of intent' restating my interest in Princeton as my #1 choice for a college. Additionally, my college guidance counselor will call admissions to inquire what I may do to improve my application. I'm more than willing to travel to Princeton, and meet with the dean of admissions, but I'm worried of appearing to clingy, too pestering. I guess that all I can really do now is send that letter, and keep working hard on my senior grades. I put a tremendous amount of time into the application and essays, but it is mildly comforting to know that there wasnt much more I could do.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron_944
Thanks for the advice, Ron. I plan on sending a 'letter of intent' restating my interest in Princeton as my #1 choice for a college. Additionally, my college guidance counselor will call admissions to inquire what I may do to improve my application. I'm more than willing to travel to Princeton, and meet with the dean of admissions, but I'm worried of appearing to clingy, too pestering. I guess that all I can really do now is send that letter, and keep working hard on my senior grades. I put a tremendous amount of time into the application and essays, but it is mildly comforting to know that there wasnt much more I could do.
byron,
your post here is admitting defeat.
the letter and improving your application are both nice but which do you think they would be more likely to remember? letters? improved applications?
or the young man that took the time and effort to see the dean and state his case as to why he should be admitted to princeton?
clingy and pestering is nothing more than an excuse not to do what you know you should.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Byron_944
Pro

Originally Posted by icon
byron,
your post here is admitting defeat.
the letter and improving your application are both nice but which do you think they would be more likely to remember? letters? improved applications?
or the young man that took the time and effort to see the dean and state his case as to why he should be admitted to princeton?
clingy and pestering is nothing more than an excuse not to do what you know you should.
Perhaps you're correct. I was merely unsure of how it would appear. I do plan on visiting the campus and speaking with the director of admissions, though. It's not that I'm unwilling to speak personally with the dean, and if you knew me personally, you'd know thats not so. But think of it this way; if 1,000 deferred applicants all descended on the campus and all plead their case, Princeton would not be too delighted.

But I think you're correct, as its really all or northing at this point. Thank you for the advice, however.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Byron_944
Pro

My guidance counselor spoke to Princeton today to find out the reasons for my deferral. My counselor said "Hi, this is so and so" and before he could finish his sentence, the director of admissions said "Ah, you must be calling about ____!" So apparently, it seems like my application was deliberated over carefully, and wasnt just some polite rejection. The admissions director said there was nothing wrong with my application whatsoever, but they'd like to compare me to the regular applicant pool. I think its because a lot of my application is my personality, and they want to see if there is a regular applicant with better stats who has my personality.

I spoke to a lot of my teachers today, and I offered to do extra credit, whatever it takes, to bring grades up, etc. I'm doing a five page paper for history, I'm going to put on a huge blitz in math, so I am not taking a chance on senior grades. I was nominated for some new awards and scholarships today, so I will inform them of those as well.

And its still a likely eventuality that I may not get in regular decision, but I'm going to give them a hell of a lot more reasons to accept me.

And until then, I'll be working hard on regular decision applications for other schools. But I wont be giving up just yet. I think the next step is to go down there and speak to the director of admissions myself. I think its heartening that the admissions director knew exactly who I was, even though there were 2300 applicants who applied Early Decision.

I'm doing my best here.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

bump.

as for Byron - how is your situation going? any news?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Originally Posted by penguinking
bump.

as for Byron - how is your situation going? any news?
Thanks for asking. I'll be going to Princeton next week, hopefully, to meet with a professor of psychology. I'm going to try to meet with the director of admissions as well. I've also won a few additional awards, and I'm currently involved in a project interviewing Holocaust survivors and archiving the video footage of the interviews. I'm going to let them now of these developments. I've also kept my average up for senior year, so the mid-year report that colleges ask for will only help me.

I've also applied to University of Pennsylvania, Cornell, and Cuny Honors College. I find out March 15th for Cuny, and March 29th for the others. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:38 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

good for you!
hope you get to go to the college of your preference!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Originally Posted by icon
good for you!
hope you get to go to the college of your preference!
Thank you very much!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM
VR4 Playa
Advanced

so much to read, but I guess i'll throw in my .02, which isn't much since I'm still in college and won't hit the working world until this summer

Pretty much to sum up what I read... it's as simple as starting your own business or just plain not working for someone else... BUT as the saying goes "anything worth having is worth working for"

I, myself, do not have the "professional" major(i.e. law, medicine, business) that gets your the higher level of income flow instead I am simply a German major and could have the opportunity to live comfortably as a teacher or translator, but I chose this path as my old path was the more "respected" one of being a mechanical engineer before I changed schools and majors when I saw myself getting stuck in a middle to upper middle class job as my grades aren't necessarily stellar, which means I might not have even gotten a job out of school, since I was not "qualified" for an internship/co-op and experience and/or grades is the key to getting that first job(or just knowing someone, which in the who's who of the engineering field I didn't).

I now see college simply as a way to get in the door, to get to the front row though, you gotta pull strings and wheel and deal and i'm fortunate to have worked for my best friend's step-dad, a self-made millionaire who will hopefully still have an opportunity for me when I return to the US after my studies here in Austria are completed so I can learn at my own pace and eventually make it to the top, but at the same time I hope to not forget where I came from, which is a humble middle-class background... possibly one of the hardest to succeed as you have little motivation to move up when you seemingly have the basic needs in life and a few luxuries to go with it... contrary to those who started with nothing to become wealthy, as they knew that their life and well-being depended on putting everything they had into their success and well those who were born into wealth... well they're already there and unfortunately you see most of them not knowing how to manage their wealth or just making a mochery of the fortunes that their family worked hard to build up

An example is Paris Hilton... who will supposedly be in Vienna tomorrow and i'm definitely not looking forward to running into as she's an example of what's wrong with this country... the only thing I respect about her is that she's actually a smart business-woman and instead of just squandering her grandpa's fortune she has figured out ways to manipulate the public into buying her garbage whether it's beauty products, CDs, or movies to secure the futures for her most likely drug addict, suicidal, and alcoholic children that she will probably bring into this world in the near future
Old 02-16-2007, 06:23 PM
TheDon007
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck, and stay with it. My application was denied by many "top notch" colleges and universities, and whatever the case, do not get discouraged.

As one person told me years ago, you go to college to learn how to learn.

I had some partial tuition assistance, but since I would have to pay my own way my options were limited, which is when I went into the military. For me, serving our Country was THE turning point of my life, and I took my training through college, post grad, and into business. It is not for everyone, but it was perfect for me.

Best of luck with Princeton. Have you considered Dartmouth?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Originally Posted by TheDon007
Good luck, and stay with it. My application was denied by many "top notch" colleges and universities, and whatever the case, do not get discouraged.

As one person told me years ago, you go to college to learn how to learn.

I had some partial tuition assistance, but since I would have to pay my own way my options were limited, which is when I went into the military. For me, serving our Country was THE turning point of my life, and I took my training through college, post grad, and into business. It is not for everyone, but it was perfect for me.

Best of luck with Princeton. Have you considered Dartmouth?
Thank you! I didn't apply to Dartmouth. I like the location of Penn and Princeton, which was a big factor in the admissions process for me.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Originally Posted by VR4 Playa
so much to read, but I guess i'll throw in my .02, which isn't much since I'm still in college and won't hit the working world until this summer

Pretty much to sum up what I read... it's as simple as starting your own business or just plain not working for someone else... BUT as the saying goes "anything worth having is worth working for"

I, myself, do not have the "professional" major(i.e. law, medicine, business) that gets your the higher level of income flow instead I am simply a German major and could have the opportunity to live comfortably as a teacher or translator, but I chose this path as my old path was the more "respected" one of being a mechanical engineer before I changed schools and majors when I saw myself getting stuck in a middle to upper middle class job as my grades aren't necessarily stellar, which means I might not have even gotten a job out of school, since I was not "qualified" for an internship/co-op and experience and/or grades is the key to getting that first job(or just knowing someone, which in the who's who of the engineering field I didn't).

I now see college simply as a way to get in the door, to get to the front row though, you gotta pull strings and wheel and deal and i'm fortunate to have worked for my best friend's step-dad, a self-made millionaire who will hopefully still have an opportunity for me when I return to the US after my studies here in Austria are completed so I can learn at my own pace and eventually make it to the top, but at the same time I hope to not forget where I came from, which is a humble middle-class background... possibly one of the hardest to succeed as you have little motivation to move up when you seemingly have the basic needs in life and a few luxuries to go with it... contrary to those who started with nothing to become wealthy, as they knew that their life and well-being depended on putting everything they had into their success and well those who were born into wealth... well they're already there and unfortunately you see most of them not knowing how to manage their wealth or just making a mochery of the fortunes that their family worked hard to build up

An example is Paris Hilton... who will supposedly be in Vienna tomorrow and i'm definitely not looking forward to running into as she's an example of what's wrong with this country... the only thing I respect about her is that she's actually a smart business-woman and instead of just squandering her grandpa's fortune she has figured out ways to manipulate the public into buying her garbage whether it's beauty products, CDs, or movies to secure the futures for her most likely drug addict, suicidal, and alcoholic children that she will probably bring into this world in the near future
I'm a firm believer that college does not make or break a person. I do not need to go to an Ivy League institution to become successful...but I'd certainly relish the experience. There are traits, one of which you mentioned, that are far more important in getting ahead in life than a college education from a 'top' university.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:28 PM
VR4 Playa
Advanced

well i wish you all the best of luck not only getting into your school of choice but also succeeding there. I will tell you after my experience visiting Princeton that there are a lot of friendly, down-to-earth people there, and whether you come from a blue or white collar background should have no problems fitting in.

I posted that simply to let you know that it's not the end of the world if you don't make it to an Ivy League school and just take it as further motivation to succeed.

Personally, the only schools I applied to were Rose-Hulman(#1 undergrad engineering school in the USA), Kettering(used to be the GM-Institute), and Purdue... got accepted to all... and didn't apply to U of I at first because I didn't think my ACT was good enough for the engineering program... when all along I could've just gone to the local CC and gotten a 4.0 and transferred in to U of I for engineering... but having a 3.0 from a top-tier engineering school, I didn't feel was strong enough to get in... goes to show how much name recognition really matters and that GPA does

Quick Reply: So what do you guys do for a living?