Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This could be completely inappropriate, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:45 PM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default This could be completely inappropriate, but...

Feel free to ignore this if you are offended or you feel this is an inappropriate question, but how does a purchase of a car this expensive really work? Is it just like a regular car purchase, just times 10 or so? Do they have longer terms for these cars, or are they mostly leased, if there is such a thing for a car this expensive?

Or, I guess if you can afford this car, is it really just a case of writing a check (which I would assume, even if you could afford it, would be a bad idea because the cost of money is so cheap these days)?

Just curious.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:12 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rons2112
Feel free to ignore this if you are offended or you feel this is an inappropriate question, but how does a purchase of a car this expensive really work? Is it just like a regular car purchase, just times 10 or so? Do they have longer terms for these cars, or are they mostly leased, if there is such a thing for a car this expensive?

Or, I guess if you can afford this car, is it really just a case of writing a check (which I would assume, even if you could afford it, would be a bad idea because the cost of money is so cheap these days)?

Just curious.
pretty much the same - either write a bigger check (wire) or make a higher payment relative to a "regular car".
Old 03-24-2005, 10:14 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Add a zero to the check and drive home.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Well, I'm nosing around right now, likely to buy a CGT, so I will pitch in my 2 cents on your question. Given the limited number of buyers for these cars, as you can imagine the dealership pays a lot of attention to you while you are contemplating the transaction - assuming you are a credible buyer. I was surprised when my dealer suggested I take a spin in a brand new CGT off his floor - I wasn't in the market at all until I drove the car, but it was impressive enough that I am likely to buy one. For what it's worth, I have bought a lot of Porsches through this dealer, so they knew in advance that they might have a shot at persuading me.

Regarding financing, etc. I suspect most buyers are cash buyers. Yes, money remains pretty cheap, but debt secured by aotomobiles is pretty expensive relative to other forms of financing, so I would think that most individuals who can reasonably afford this car have any personal debt against other assets - e.g. a home.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:51 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, few that can afford the car don't buy one after riding (in a properly driven) or driving one. The car is incomprehensable otherwise.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this for the turbo and the GT3 so I am like a CGT mini me buyer, or I did what they do on a smaller scale--Like Steve says interest rates were around 5% So I had my home appraised. It came back at ~$300K I owe 130ish. Did a refinance took out cash and paid cash for the GT3. The bank wires you the money you put it in your checking/savings whatever, then you get a cashiers check for the purchase price of the car. Whats cool about this is you can IF you have finacial discipline get a 15 year loan and pay if off sooner- later- whenever- depending on your needs. (15 year was an example you can go 5 OR 30 too). Also you have the title in your hand which makes selling easier.

Now I have enough in my mammoth property to -liqiudate the GT3- and cash out of mammoth and buy a CGT BUT then all kinds of things happen. Divorce, lose the car, lose all my property kids
end up on the street in a WalMart basket. So I have decided to do what my CFO(wife) tells me from now on and just admire Ben's CGT from afar.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:45 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to side track this tread but, OG when are you going to do a comprehensive write up on the GT3 and TT. I would love to know as one might be in my near future. Thanks
Old 04-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Pick 5 numbers plus a powerball and the CGT can be yours...
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
Pick 5 numbers plus a powerball and the CGT can be yours...

Or just see if you qualify for financing, as I just heard that Porsche will now finance the CGT for prospective owners. Rate is supposedly around 7% for up to 7 years, resulting in a payment of only $6,800 per month.

They're practically giving them away!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:45 PM
jim911
Racer

What is the lowest known price a GT has been purchased for?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
rmrmd1956
Instructor

Steve N.

Let me know when you are ready to sell the CGT(after you buy it ofcourse)!

Mark

Quick Reply: This could be completely inappropriate, but...