Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While I appreciate Alex and Gotofastguy's reviews...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While I appreciate Alex and Gotofastguy's reviews...

While the CGT beat out Enzo, Merci, and Ford GT in the recent Robb Report "Supercar Showdown 2004" based on "which supercar is the most desireable, as measured by our visceral response to its overall prowess", they did say:

"The Porsche's clutch is diabolical. Coaxing the German supercar to off-line smoothly, without stalling, is nearly impossible - even after a driving lesson and three days of practice. On a hill, you will break a cold sweat, or the clutch, or both. Racing clutch be damned; there is no excuse for building a $440,000 road car that makes its driver look like an idiot."
Old 12-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I still wonder if the problem is a manufacturing defect with the clutch. Some people say that the clutch is absolutely not a problem, and then we have others like Larry who couldn't get used to it after 4000 miles.

Greg A
Old 12-04-2004, 06:53 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg A
I still wonder if the problem is a manufacturing defect with the clutch. Some people say that the clutch is absolutely not a problem, and then we have others like Larry who couldn't get used to it after 4000 miles.

Greg A
Mine is due Tuesday and we'll see if I have a different opinion of it after having more time to get used to it than I did when I drove Larry's car. We'll see, but I think those comments from the article are spot on and consistent with my experience. On the bright side, they didn't say anything negative about the ridiculous ride height.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:21 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

It is not a defect. It simply physics: a low inertia, small diameter rotating mass means the engine accellerates quicker and stops rotating quicker (ie clutch stalls). Small diameter makes it possible to have the engine lower for a lower center of gravity. However, the clutch is just less forgiving. You get accustomed to the clutch -- really. No big deal after a few weeks.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

My take on this is experience and smoothness. If you have to think about it, you will stall it.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:46 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
It is not a defect. It simply physics: a low inertia, small diameter rotating mass means the engine accellerates quicker and stops rotating quicker (ie clutch stalls). Small diameter makes it possible to have the engine lower for a lower center of gravity. However, the clutch is just less forgiving. You get accustomed to the clutch -- really. No big deal after a few weeks.
Ditto.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:21 AM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Ben, I hope you post a billion pics or so
Old 12-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Originally Posted by ben in lj
there is no excuse for building a $440,000 road car that makes its driver look like an idiot."
Sure there is! I think thats one of the best points about the car! You arent buying a half a million dollar toyota, you are buying a race-bred machine. Big dollars for an easy ride is a Rolls. Just like old Italian cars when the seats were fixed. You dont fit, you dont drive it. Sorry.

I understand that today, its all about the customer, etc... etc... But having a car made to do one thing, and then later worrying if drivers can handle it is something beautiful. Thats an exotic car. They arent for everyone!

EDIT: Oh i see you have one on its way! Congrats! Enjoy the car for what it is! I bet after a week or two or even the first night you will surely be in love with it!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

I understand the physics and reasons for the small clutch. However, that's a very presumptuous comment for you to make. Have you driven Larry B's car? Neither have I. Both Ben, Nick and Larry (Ben and Nick drove someone else's car) all had problems w/the clutch on the CGTs they drove. Larry drove his car for 4000 miles and never got used to the clutch which is one of the reasons he sold it. How can you be so certain there is no problem when you have not driven the cars people who have complained about the clutch drove and none of those people have driven your car?

Remember, Porsche has never made a clutch like this for a street car. According to numerous reports, they did not get the PCCB right on the first try, and some people are experiencing major system faults on their early production 997s. Why is it impossible for you to think that just maybe the clutch on the cars people have complained about wasn't manufactured perfectly to spec? AFAIK, all of the cars I am talking about were delivered well before yours.

Greg A
Old 12-05-2004, 02:56 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg A
I understand the physics and reasons for the small clutch. However, that's a very presumptuous comment for you to make. Have you driven Larry B's car? Neither have I. Both Ben, Nick and Larry (Ben and Nick drove someone else's car) all had problems w/the clutch on the CGTs they drove. Larry drove his car for 4000 miles and never got used to the clutch which is one of the reasons he sold it. How can you be so certain there is no problem when you have not driven the cars people who have complained about the clutch drove and none of those people have driven your car?

Remember, Porsche has never made a clutch like this for a street car. According to numerous reports, they did not get the PCCB right on the first try, and some people are experiencing major system faults on their early production 997s. Why is it impossible for you to think that just maybe the clutch on the cars people have complained about wasn't manufactured perfectly to spec? AFAIK, all of the cars I am talking about were delivered well before yours.

Greg A
Actually the CGT Nick and I drove was Larry B's. However, his buddy had the same reaction to his own car (wrote a nasty article in the 1/05 Sports Car Int'l magazine) before like Larry he dumped it for a huge loss after waiting many months to even find a taker. That said, both of these two cars were early builds. We know for a fact that early build Pcars suck ****. "Some" recent examples are the potentially life threatening hesitation in the Cayennes which Porsche STILL after two model years has been unsuccessful in remedying, the dreaded RMS in the 996 that to date has STILL not been remedied after 6 model years (see the 04 annual test car in this issue of Motor Trend), or the suck **** ceramic brakes which are famous for their early and expensive failure directly in contrast to all marketing (before that marketing was tweeked to skillfully remove false claims previously used to extract large sums of customer money on a crap product that was not fully tested). There are many many more examples of Porsche engineering and build flaws - the majority of which were never remedied. Hopefully, the severe pain in the **** this clutch causes (as well as the $140k repair bill resulting from the guy who was rear ended when his stalled at take off at a light) isn't compounded by short durability on this $25k "wonder". Also, hopefully the ride height correction Porsche claims to be currently designing for the CGT doesn't end up vaporware as a result of Porsche's legal dept not wanting to make a remedy that as much as admits a manufacturing defect for their much ballywhoed "everyday, everywhere supercar" marketing BS. Porsche's hiatus from racing to make SUVs has resulted in less race tested technology and more customer R&D based technology which is hyped by false marketing.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:36 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Good points, Greg A. There is always the possibility of a defect or out-of-specparts or assembly. However, I believe my presumption is a reasonable one, because of all the published comentary and chat on the sensitivity of the clutch.

The point of my prior post was to explain reasons why Porsche made the trade-off -- in case not everyone has your knowledge and insight. Porshe's design choice was a compromise: the clutch is not easy. Maybe there is variability among the cars. It is also likely there is variability among drivers. Fact is, some of us have trouble with our clutchs; others of us do not. Some choose not to put up with it. That's OK.

My hope is that those who have not yet taken delivery will give the CGT, and its clutch, a chance. This great performing car deserves it.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

...My hope is that those who have not yet taken delivery will give the CGT, and its clutch, a chance. This great performing car deserves it.
Very well said.

I think we can learn a great deal more once Ben gives us some feedback about his car since he is the only one here who has driven Larry's and also has one now.

Greg A
Old 12-05-2004, 07:05 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 23 Posts

I got my CGT in March and sold it in June with 540 miles. I only had an issue with the clutch for the first couple of days. Once you realize that you should let the engine management system get you rolling by letting the clutch out with no initial throttle, it's really easy. I loved the car and am waiting for my next one in March/April of next year. The first one was bought specifically to resell. The next one's a keeper.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

see i just think its an excuse for people who don't realize how easy it is to drive manual...they've started to make cars so easy to drive its unbelievable...u can't even stall most cars anymore...and that really ruins the performance aspects...so i give them a huge thumbs up...just cuz you can afford the car doesn't mean u have to be able to drive it

Quick Reply: While I appreciate Alex and Gotofastguy's reviews...