Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F40 and CGT-what a combo!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:01 AM
DMin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just to show off. I understand that to this guy, it was a matter of just having one then the other, and it has nothing to do with appreciation since if you can just have an F-40 and CGT, what value do they really have to you?
I have read that sentence about a dozen times now, and I still can't quite figure out the logic behind it.

He seems to be arguing that one can only appreciate cars that one cannot afford to purchase, which makes me think he really must not appreciate that 928S.

alexp, I too share your passion for fine automobiles, although on a far smaller scale
Old 11-21-2004, 03:59 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alex is:

a) the godfather

b) geneva

Old 11-21-2004, 09:23 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks for sharing your cars and experiences with us. It's part of what makes Rennlist great!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:09 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

alex; if this guy had bothered to do a little homework, he might have realized that there is a correlation between your toy collection and your profession. one thing i have learned is that regardless of what you have; someone else will always have more. oh the cars i could buy with a few mil to play with...i buy things that make me happy and bring me pleasure and cars are at the top of the list...i am also aware of my limitations. i don't buy for status and could care less what other people think with respect to cars, houses, neighborhood, club memberships, etc. because in the end what difference does it make? unfortunately, too many people have a hard time with this preoccupation with status and make some very bad decisions because of it. the key is that when we look back, we can smile and think "man, that was a fun ride" (aside from the being a civilized human being). someday, when i grow up, i too will have an F-40 and a CGT and a maybe even a McLaren F-1 and hopefully they won't all be 1:18 scale diecast models...(at 45, i still have a little time...)
Old 11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owning (and driving) those cars must be a dream come true.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I thought one of the premier points of joining rennlist (in addition to information gathering), is to share/enjoy with others our silly/wonderful addiction to great cars, one of my best friends will take delivery of his carrera gt next year and we are so excited we can hardly stand it. who cares how anybody was able to buy any of these cars? my theory is as long as you take care of your family first (everybody gets their own definition of "taking care of"), who cares what kind of car i buy. This is why most of us rejoice at car collections like jay leno's rather than be jealous of it. i plan on surrounding my self with great cars all of my life, as long as i can afford it. by the way i rode in a carrera gt in germany with timo bernhard at the wheel and it was one of life's greatest moments!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:37 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Posts like this keep me in the office that much longer, realizing that its all worth it in the end.

I went to school in Boston where there are 100's of European and southeast Asian students that have bottomless bank accounts. A fellow class mate/accounting major of mine once asked me if I needed a lift home and I said sure. He told me to wait outside while he goes and gets his car from the garage. About 5 minutes later, this crazy guy in a brand new Ferrari 355 kept honking his horn at me. Needless to say, it was him, he was 22 years old. From talking to this guy, you would never have known it and accounting is not exactlythe walk in the park major that some might choose who have so little to worry about.

I guess the point is that some people at school would go nuts over this, going as far as to vandalize the cars and throw rocks at moving car. Some people just cannot handle that fact that they are not as fortunate in life.

Please keep up the posts as some of us can appreciate them, even with the knowledge that its unlikely we will ever own one.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:44 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I still remember the Car and Driver write-up on the F40. They were like school boys. Funny.

I like the garage. I think I'll need about a fiver.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

HEY GoFAsT...Where abouts are you in Wisconsin....? Were you at the EAA CAr show this last summer.....? NIce collection of cars you have there I would love to come see them....

DAmian
Old 11-28-2004, 09:17 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Hornet's nest

Sorry Alex for starting this post-I sure stirred up a hornet's nest.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:06 PM
RRLOwen
Instructor

It is soooooo hard for me to understand why a person would log on to a PORSCHE enthusiasts web site and then enter the area specific to CARRERA GT's and then proceed to berate another person because he has purchsed the car which we are all so interested in.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

For my part- to Alex and Lonnie and others who are generously sharing their experience with these vehicles - thank you very much for taking the time to engage in this forum. I find it very interesting.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:45 AM
alexpapas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Sorry Alex for starting this post-I sure stirred up a hornet's nest.
No problem. I would have posted the pics myself. How's the Elise running?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Elise...

Hi Alex-

The Elise is alot of fun. Very raw, driving experience. Much like a big go cart. When you get next to a Yukon on one side an a H2 on the other you feel like you are in the Grand Canyon. Regards to Roxy and the boys. Are you letting them drive the F40 yet?
Old 11-29-2004, 03:59 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Hi Alex-

The Elise is alot of fun. Very raw, driving experience. Much like a big go cart. When you get next to a Yukon on one side an a H2 on the other you feel like you are in the Grand Canyon. Regards to Roxy and the boys. Are you letting them drive the F40 yet?
Greg gets his permit in a few months and the only stick I can teach him in is my '77 308GTB. It's going to be interesting.....
He thinks the CGT is the one he needs to conquer 'though. Big aspirations in the teens of today.....
Old 12-01-2004, 07:34 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 473 Likes on 317 Posts

Personally I think the F40 has a great design and the car after all these years is still a beauty, so raw and just yells out that it means business but not as much as the 333SP ofcourse.

Quick Reply: F40 and CGT-what a combo!