Sponsored by:

Are you bored of your Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you bored of your Carrera GT?

I know that sounds crazy, but is it true? When I talk and listen to owners, they always mention how great the car sounds and how it has great throttle response (I would expect both comments from someone coming from a turbo car). However, I also hear:

1. The front of the car scrapes all the time.
2. The clutch is hard to use and difficult to get used to.
3. The car is hard to get into and out of.
4. The interior is not as exciting as it first appeared.
5. The car is not as fast as it should be, especially under 100 MPH. During normal street driving, a modified Porsche TT seems faster (maybe because the torque is so low?)
6. Around normal mountain roads, my TT may be faster because it has more ground clearance and it's easier to see the road.
7. The car is very "stiff" on normal roads. I can hear a "cracking" sound whenever I hit a bump.
8. There's no room for luggage, especially when I store the roof.
9. The car gets a lot of rock chips.

In other words, is the Carrera GT more of a track car, and not a street car that you look forward to driving every day?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:11 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill it sounds like you are trying to make yourself feel better that you don't have one.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:27 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Sounds like 9 more reasons to desire the car. Ive always thought exotic cars were just as the named described- something different. I dont expect a nice interior, ac,stereo, good clearance, ease of driving, comforts, etc... I expect a car designed for one purpose, and one purpose alone- and to be the best at it. Personally, the CGT does what it was designed for very well i think. I dont view cars like the CGT as transportation either. I would never want to drive it around for errands, etc...
Just my 2 cents!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

I would still love to have one....but maybe I am just nuts.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:25 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

all those reasons are lame.

duh its gona be low. duh its gona be hard to get into cause its low. duh the clutch is gona be hard to drive. theres no room for lugage?

sounds like the wrong poeple are buying this car. what do they expect...... Bently comfort?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly (or fortunately), it's human nature to want what you don't have, and grow bored with what you do have.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Garibaldi
Instructor

Yeah, I find all those to be true with mine as well, but I also find the following:

-When I go to Home Depot, I cant fit the plants that I buy in the front seat, and there is no real easy way to tie any of the plywood and sheetrock I buy to the roof.
-I find that when I am traveling at anything over 140 mph, the audio system seems to loose some of its oomph, especially the highs and the mid range seems to get boomy.
-I find it a PIA that with the fuel prices as crazy as they are, I do not feel comfortable filling up with 87 octane regualr unleaded, and on top of that with spirited driving (i.e full throttle, 100% of the time) I am only getting about 6 mpg, a far cry from the Honda Civic I traded in on this Carrera GT
-When i go out to the city, I cant fit all two of my friends comfortably in the passenger seat, they have to sit on each others lap. I suppose I shoudl have opted for the McLaren instead, that way I could have put one on either side of me.
-i also find it annoying on how everytime I step on the brakes hard and get into the ABS, that I always have to take my eyeballs off the dash, and pop them back into my eyesockets, and on top of that, its tough to clean the eyeball juice off the upholstery they covered the dash with.

I coudl go on and on, but I guess you can all consider yourselves lucky that you dont have such problems- wait, include me in on that. I woudl gladly show any owner that complained about the car what a real set of stone chips would look like, and i coudl also help to bed intheir clutch for them. And as far as difficultl to get in and out of, dont worry about it, I will do all that for you.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

difficult to get in and out of

Why would you want to get out of it? A person could live happily in there.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey why not own one before casting stones? That way, you canbe sure that your own glasshouse is secure first.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Garibaldi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christer
Hey why not own one before casting stones? That way, you canbe sure that your own glasshouse is secure first.
Beleive me, I'm trying like hell to get one, but the factory has some issues with the fact that I want the car pinted flat black, and i want an espresso machine built into the center armrest.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone can make a very fast car that's great on the track but is bad on the street (or inconvenient or frustrating). Very few can do both. Up until the CGT, Porsche was the one manufacturer that can do both very well. My Ruf, which is very fast (205 MPH, 0-150 under 15 seconds), is fun to drive on the street, and even more fun on the track.

From what I hear from owners, the CGT is great on the track, but not fun at all for the street. These owners are not first time buyers. They own or have owned many Porsches and other exotics. They're just disappointed that the CGT is not what they expect from a Porsche, especially when they can't keep up with a much lesser car on a windy mountain road.

Last edited by Bill S.; 09-03-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

i agree w/ some of the comments being lame...sorry i don't know alot about the car...but the car isn't gonna be easy to drive...it won't be for everyone...but as far as ride height goes...if you haven't driven a lowered car before...that could get annoying you just gotta learn to drive it...i think once they get used to them they'll find it to be more fun
Old 09-05-2004, 09:01 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

These cars are focused track cars. The people who are buying them are using them for daily driving beucase it fits their budget and it helps to let everyone know their account balance at wells fargo when they drive it. the right crowd is not buying this car, and for exotics in general, never will be.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Rufus Sanders
Burning Brakes

AeroGT3RedWing, you hit it on the head. $446,000 for a sportscar is simply saying "I can afford it" because if you really wanted a supercar you'd get a 962 racecar and have enough left over for a nice Cessna too.

The reality is most people can't drive this car to it's potential. They feel that 120 mph is fast. They really have never driven over 170 mph (who has really?) and this is what this car is meant to do, not go 100 mph on the interstate (the 928 is good for hat...)

I'll ask those of you who actually own one: How do you drive it? Honestly? Can you safely handle it at 180? If so, then you should now better than to even attempt it on public roads

And the real question: Is it fun knowing that half a million dollars is in your hands, and the fate of it and you are linked until you let that foot up? Half a million dollars. If I had it, I'd put my kids and my brothers kids through college and I'd say THAT was a good use of the money. - Ruf
Old 09-13-2004, 03:13 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"The reality is most people can't drive this car to it's potential. They feel that 120 mph is fast. They really have never driven over 170 mph (who has really?) and this is what this car is meant to do, not go 100 mph on the interstate (the 928 is good for hat...)"

I made 170 in my 993 and have seen 140 to 150 mph with stupid regularity. However, I have to tell you that 100 mph on uneven roads in a CGT feels like 150 in the BMWs and Pcars I've had at that speed. It was kind of shocking to me that going so slow (ie: 100 to 125) felt so crazy fast in that car.

Quick Reply: Are you bored of your Carrera GT?