Blown Clutch on CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 02:05 PM
alex'87cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blown Clutch on CGT?

Hey Rennlisters,
Four weeks ago I was at Downtown Fine Cars to check out the silver Carrera GT that was being prepped for a customer. Unbelievable workmanship and the engine sounded precise and like an F1 car (the tech revved it a little as it was running). I also was blown away by the low ground clearance which made me nervous when the tech had to back it out of the driveway backwards and ask a bystander (me) to ensure he would not scrape the splitter/spoiler. The customer took delivery the next day, Friday June 11th. Last Wednesday (June 30th), I went to pick up some stuff from the parts department and the CGT was in the service bay. The counter person told me it was a blown clutch (I didn't further verify this). I'm just curious as to the probability of this happening and what (if any) other issues have been encountered by owners to date.

Ciao,

Alex J.
'87 Carrera Cab.
Toronto, ON
Old 07-10-2004, 04:16 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

You can be pretty sure that it was not a defective clutch. Most likely operator error ;-)
Old 07-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

most likely the operator didn't know how to drive stick respecting the clutch. Thats gonna be expensive about $22,000 for that clutch in that car.

Andy
Old 07-14-2004, 04:43 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

considering the complexity (so i hear) of the clutch, anyone that doesn't belong in a car like this, will most likey pay a lot in clutch repair.
~Eyal
Old 07-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ADias
You can be pretty sure that it was not a defective clutch. Most likely operator error ;-)
Why would a defective clutch be so far-fetched? The PCCC didn't exist before it was created for the CGT. Isn't it possible that Porsche or the supplier might not have made every clutch perfectly since it hasn't been done before?

Greg A
Old 07-14-2004, 08:54 PM
yongster
Racer

I tkink the owner knows how to operate a car with standard transmission. He owns a Lambo anniversary Diablo, etc.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:46 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"He owns a Lambo anniversary Diablo, etc."

All that does is suggest high likelihood of poseur :-)
Old 07-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha
Old 07-15-2004, 09:31 AM
mdex
Racer

With Porsche's PCCB brakes that were supposed to last the lifetime of the car (unless you drive the car) I wonder how long these new ceramic clutches will last on the CGT... I suspect that we will see a lot of cars in for cluches soon, but hope I am wrong.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:23 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally posted by mdex
With Porsche's PCCB brakes that were supposed to last the lifetime of the car (unless you drive the car) I wonder how long these new ceramic clutches will last on the CGT... I suspect that we will see a lot of cars in for cluches soon, but hope I am wrong.
Larry Webster's write-up in the June 2004 issue says, "The Carrera GT is, however, terrifically durable. We saw one car endure about 40 drop-clutch launches with no ill effect on its performance."

I had the opportunity to talk to Larry by phone just after he had returned from the test event in Italy. He told me that the ceramic clutch seemed extraordinarily durable -- it "took a sh** load of abuse". A writer for a competing magazine (known for abusing clutches to obtain stellar 0-60 times) asked the Porsche techs if they planned to replace the clutch after the testing. They replied, "No. ... Why?"

Maybe the parts counter person was ill-informed. Or, maybe, something unusual happened to this particular car.

Or, maybe the customer complained about the clutch uptake and the dealer decided to go over it to see if all was within spec?

Quick Reply: Blown Clutch on CGT?