A question of color

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 05:44 PM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question of color

Has anyone heard any rumors about the possibility of the Special Wish Program being available for the CGT. Reason for asking is that whilst on the factory tour in Leipzig/ Stuttgart ,we ran across some scale models of the CGT in Lapis Blue. Maybe PAG was considering Lapis as a stock color at one time. Does anyone have any info on this or any other special equipment that may become available later on in the build program. My local Porsche dealer is claiming that they have no info on this matter. I'd love to know before my final color commitment later this year.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they arent 'considering' it , it already exists,

honestly... its the least they could do if your dropping half a million on a car to get it painted in whatever the **** colour you want
Old 04-11-2004, 08:02 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Re: A question of color

Originally posted by hyroller
Has anyone heard any rumors about the possibility of the Special Wish Program being available for the CGT. ... My local Porsche dealer is claiming that they have no info on this matter. I'd love to know before my final color commitment later this year.
Your Porsche dealer is correct (sort of); no information has yet been PUBLISHED about this. However, they may have heard some rumors. If they haven't heard any rumors, it's because they're not the least bit curious and have not ASKED about it.

I have been told by a source more reliable than your dealer that the Model Year 2005 order guide will be the defining document. The guide is supposed to be released (barring unforseen difficulties) around the first of May (three more weeks). Various items like the thicker steering wheel, carbon fiber shift **** and interior bits, leather-covered metal trim, etc., PLUS paint-to-sample (not every color, but SOME colors) are thought to be in the guide. Model year 2005 production starts (I think) sometime in July.

I am waiting intently for verification of paint-to-sample since I want Signal Yellow (Porsche color #114) from 1968-72 instead of Fayence Yellow (too girly compared to Signal). I have a December 2004 start of build date.

I don't think paint-to-sample will be cheap. I'm planning to choose ocean freight instead of air freight to help pay for it.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Moogle
Race Car

how bout getting a CGT paint-to-sampled to Ferrari Rosso Scuderia Marlboro (F1 red) hahaha
Old 04-11-2004, 10:48 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

mike, my 8/4/04 build supposedly went unchangeable 2/04. do you think it's too late for me to change my color or does this mean yours goes unchangeable 6/04?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:55 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ben,

That is exactly how I understand it.

If I were you, I'd make a telephone call really soon to find out.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

the dealer told me a couple times already that it was unchangeable 2/04, but i can't understand why given it's just paint. i've not pushed it because i figured it's just the way it is, but i'm surprised 05 (mine will be an 05 - barely) order guides are going out soon if some of the 05s are unchangeable?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:46 AM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up A question of color

Thanks for the update Moogle,and Mike. I of course heard rumors like most everyone has. I'll check again Monday with my esteemed Porsche dealer, although I already know their answer, "no further info yet". My build date is Oct '05, far enough off to make some changes. I originally ordered GT Silver, but would like to perhaps change the color. The Lapis blue looked great, (on the model), maybe with a black or grey interior.More GT Siver around now that the 40th Anniversary cars are showing up. Great color but as someone previously stated, for north of $400M+ it would be nice to get some extra consideration. The other possible options are also of interest.I like the thicker steering wheel. Tried one out on a GT3 much better feel to it. CF shift ****...., maybe for the price PAG will throw in one of each style for the owner to change depending on your mood. PAG might go for that idea. They can then charge you an extra $2000 for the Part #CGT-QCG-SKA (Quick Change Gear Shift **** Adapter) Funny, I just realised that the last three letters kind of spell SUCKER. But we'll all go for it anyway.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:49 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ben,

I can understand your feelings on this. Before I found out about the potential for the paint-to-sample, I was very envious of all the guys who were to get their cars before I did. Now, I guess there is a little something to be happy about for me (if it comes true).

Read Les's (labcars) posts and you'll be happy with the color you've already chosen.

As my friend Christian already told me, Carrera GTs look fabulous in any color.

Cheers Ben,
Old 04-12-2004, 02:15 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks mike, the car is stunning in silver. i'd probably have regrets for not getting silver if i ordered seal and now i'll probably just have regrets about seal now that i've ordered silver :-)
Old 04-12-2004, 07:32 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by ben in lj
thanks mike, the car is stunning in silver. i'd probably have regrets for not getting silver if i ordered seal and now i'll probably just have regrets about seal now that i've ordered silver :-)
Ben, I was never a big silver fan, but the CGT looks just AWESOME in GT Silver with the natural grey (read almost black) interior. Here's a link to make you feel better about your color choice: http://www.sublevo.com/erik/gallery/carreragt

I'd love to see the smile on your face when you first wind that sucker up!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:26 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks lee. i saw the GT silver in the flesh on several CGTs in leipzig last month, and it does look great.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:11 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Ben, GT Silver, Thats the color to choose!

BTW, from a safety standpoint (several articles out recently), Silver is considered the safest car color. Less MVAs reported when compared with other colors. White is the less safest followed by Black. I believe this info. will reassure you have protected your investment.

Don't whine too much though, most would be very happy with any color C - GT Baby!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:09 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My boss said the exact opposite about silver cars. This is of course in reference to road racing, but I think it applies. He said that when you are hauling ***** around the track, you just cant see the silver cars in your mirrors, they blend in with the pavement. He was near swearing about it too.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

I wonder if anyone is going to have the nuts to order anything but Silver or black. I'm so bored with seeing those colours. Working for a dealership, all I see are shades of silver, grey, or black.

Personally, I'd go Guards Red.

Has anyone actually seen and taken pics of one of these in anything but silver or black?

Quick Reply: A question of color