Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

OK, after 6 months I broke out the GT2 to compare it to the GT3. I have read a lot here about the relative merits of each car and which was better.

Yes, I'm human and I was swayed back and forth by each opinion and let's face it all Porsche drivers are seeking perfection to one degree or another. Some get caught up in the "ego" of ownership and others get caught up in the "ego" of driving and the rest of us are just plain "caught up".

So, now I've had a chance to do a back to back comparision I've come to the conclusion that the GT2 is a far superior car. Why? When driving it you are constantly on the edge, and it is an absolute adrenilin rush. It is not a car to be taken lightly and to properly drive it is an advanced "learned" skill. No reader should imply that I'm claiming I have the requisite skills. I can best sum it up by the term "instantaneous response". This is true whether you're driving it at 5/10 or 7/10. I doubt that anyone except a fully trained professional can drive it any further up the curve.

On the "relative" value scale there is a significant and real difference. Because of the various "myths" out there, I'm not sure that the difference in value is fully appreciated by the general audience. But the GT2 is every bit the value proposition that the GT3 is, it's just the that the risk/reward profile is much higher for the GT2, and it may exceed the the "comfort" zone for even advanced capabilities.

Given my physical limitations, I'm sure that the GT3 is the more realistic and sensible car for me to own (and even then that may be too much) but my heart belongs in a GT2 because it truly represents the "Garden of Eden".

Your opinion may vary and be more correct!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:07 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colm, when are you receiving your Carrera GT? I would love to read how you compare the CGT with the GT2..

Thanks

Arnaud
Old 06-18-2004, 02:25 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car is slated for May production. However, having been a passenger in the CGT and then driven the GT2 at Leipzig right after I would have to say that that there is as much difference between a boxster and a GT2 as their is between the GT2 and the CGT. Caveat: The driver may have had a lot to do with that.

My only concern about the CGT is where and when to use it.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I believe your concern regarding the use of the CGT is much more than where or when to use it.

If your driving skills can only manage 50% of the skill required to drive a GT2 and the CGT by your account is substantially more powerful than the GT2 is it not a waste to own the CGT?

I suppose ownership of the best Porsche built is worth something. However if that is true, then most members of the various boards would label you as being a posuer.

Just curious.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:14 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can assure you the CGT is easier to drive than a GT2..becasue it is much better balanced and more linear in response...

If you read my post carefully I said nothing about my skills..only what level of performance a non- professional driver could take out of a GT2.

Think before you type!
Old 06-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I aopologize. I did not know you are a professional driver.

"No reader should imply that I'm claiming I have the requisite skills. I can best sum it up by the term "instantaneous response". This is true whether you're driving it at 5/10 or 7/10. I doubt that anyone except a fully trained professional can drive it any further up the curve."

You should read your own post before you type.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:58 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Nick,

So you're saying you can drive whatever car you own at 10/10's at every point around a track?

What do you drive anyway?
Old 06-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

When someone writes they can only drive a particular car to 50% of its capabilities and then goes out a buy's a car with twice the capability I find it puzzling. What is the point?

What I drive is irrelevant. I do not claim to be a great driver. However the car I drive I can use close to its intended purpose around the track or road. (note I did not write limit).
Old 06-19-2004, 04:34 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nick,

The last time I checked I didn't have to justify my car purchases (or explain myself).

Furthermore, what most members of other boards might care to label me should be no concern of yours, unless of course, someone gave you the mandate to speak for everyone.

If my car buying habits puzzle you that's something you have to deal with..I don't.

This is a forum to share opinion and perspective about cars not personalities or character analysis.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:41 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Nick,

If you had the means I really doubt you wouldn't buy a CGT even if you couldn't fully use the car to its potential. Who can use the CGT to its potential anyway? Walter Rohl?

to Colm for doing what makes him happy.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

nick, i apolgize in advance if i failed to understand your post. i have seen colm driving his white GT2 at laguna seca. yes, he's not a pro driver but he sure uses his car well. and as to not using more than 50% of a car's performance, so what? i don't think ANY club racer at the PCA POC level can really take GT2 to 50% of it's capability. and even a pro driver for that matter, i am not sure they take a GT3RSR to 100% of the cars capability. if i have the opportunity i would love to join colm in owning GT3, GT2 and CGT.

colm, i hope to see you again on a CA track soon. i'll be at sears point tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Colm you started this post by asking opinions between the GT2 and GT3. You then indicate that the GT2 capabilities is beyond non professional driver abilities by a substantial margin. Your comments were well grounded and candid.

Yet I learn you were buying a CGT which by your reckoning is twice the car the GT2 is. I was justifiably curious as to the rational. The question of labelling arose in the context of many people calling those of us with high performance sport cars posuer's because we do not possess the ability to drive them to their limit.

I am sure you are an excellent driver since you own a GT2.

My post was not intended to be offensive to you.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:32 AM
hawk993
Racer

ah...I read the article out of interest and you guys are getting into a pissing contest, what's the point?

Can't we all just get along?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally posted by hawk993
ah...I read the article out of interest and you guys are getting into a pissing contest, what's the point?
Just look up any thread where Nick makes more than one post and you'll figure it out.

Really easily
Old 06-24-2004, 12:41 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by W8MM
Just look up any thread where Nick makes more than one post and you'll figure it out.

Really easily
I thought one only trolls for fish???

Guess I was wrong....

Colm:

Looks like you only need a GT1 to complete the collection!!!

Quick Reply: GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)